• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Evening bag

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi all,

I'm curious to know what kind of bag you use in the evenings?

Buen camino to you all
Sonia
:)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I must admit that this was an oversight on my camino. I didn't bring a bag for when I wasn't auctually walking. I kept meaning to buy one during the trip but I never did. I ended up using the stuff sack for my sleeping bag since it gad quite long draw strings that I could use as a purse. For my next camino I think I will purchase one of those travel tote bags that go pretty small. Maybe someone else has a good suggestion?

I usually walk with a bumbag which contains my glasses, money, credit cards, camera and anything else I want to have handy. It goes with me when I have a shower and is my "handbag" in the evenings.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Darls,
My bejewelled tiny black purse containing some makeup and tissues. No need for money as I always manage to meet a gorgeous generous young man. What else is a girl to do! (wonder if this gets past the moderator). Camino-doll.

It takes all sorts! Mod

I had a very light bag that folded up into a pocket- Kathmandu brand. I used to put my passport etc inside it in my pack and could just lift them out if I left my big pack somewhere for a while. It fitted supermarket provisions well at the end of the day, and I could hang it over a peg or something with my valuables in the shower.
Margaret

I have a turquoise cotton bag that started life as a freebie at a university book sale.
I turned it inside out so that I am not advertising anything and embroidered a few flowers on it. It folds up really small . It is large enough to use a a small pillow case in donativo ablbergues where there are no pillows, just put my trousers and fleesie into it. . It is useful for shopping and is colour coded to match my tea-shirts and fleesie.

I also find it really handy on flight where I don't check in any luggage. I can just take it out of the case at the last minute and still have my book etc with me.

It is NOT the height of fashion, is well washed out, but it is practical, and to me that is a long way towards being beautiful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ortlieb bike handlebar bag! Brilliant, waterproof, with compartments, divisions, sections, clip for keys and a waterproof mapcase on the outside with a shoulder strap as added encore for easy carrying as well. It manages up to 5KG and is organised to perfection so as to give the reassurance of order amidst the change and maelstrom of travel.
When walking I have the a close substitute - a waist bag from aforementioned company - equally waterproof and carries water bottles too.
The joy of tidy, the pleasure of order - a mayor part of dealing with anxiety and uncertainty that helps to cope with my mental health and ensure some level of wellbeing.

My Cargoes ( trousers with loads of pockets ) do it for me. While I'm perfectly capable of leaving a bar with my bag still hanging off a chair back it's years since I left a bar without my trousers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have cargo pockets... and one of those pockets for passport, etc. that hangs around my neck under my clothes... and I carry a Chico sack, a great grocery bag that has an attached stuff-pouch. Weighs next to nothing, holds a lot, dries quick, has a clip to attach to your pack or bellt-loop. One of the best things I brought with me.

I have a strong aversion to the popular fanny pack.
I dislike the look and the positioning!

I chose to carry a cross-body bag by Rick Steves.
http://www.ebags.com/product/rick-steves/civita-travel-pouch/201057?productid=10100423
It has zippered compartments and I kept it at the top of my backpack for easy access.
My passport, credit cards, etc. were inside and I could grab this little "purse" and leave the rest behind while I explored.

I also took a floppy reusable grocery sac (choose cloth or canvas - not plastic) which kept my food stuffs in one place in my backpack. When my supplies dwindled, I left the few remaining items in my pack and used the sac for shopping.
It also doubled as my beach bag! :D

Buen camino,
Anna Maria

If you are looking for a bag that has a bit of structure, try something like the Sherpani Pica. http://www.ebags.com/product/sherpani/pica/206387
It is 9.06 x 8.46 x 2.95 (inches) and weighs 270 grams. It is a water-resistant woven nylon crossbody bag with adjustable shoulder strap and features flapover construction with a zippered main comparment, several additional zippered compartments, and a side water bottle pocket.

Another is the Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) Globetrotter . http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/Sho ... p?pdtTab=3
It too is a crossbody flapover bag with adjustable shoulder strap, with padded zippered main compartment and additional zippered compartments, but no water bottle pocket. It is 10.62 x 8.66 x 1.96 (inches) and weighs 258 grams. So doesn’t have the depth of the Sherpani Pica, but is padded.

I really liked having a bag for both after my daily walk, and for travelling to and from the Camino. I wanted something that could accommodate a guidebook, journal and pen, tickets, glasses, perhaps a snack, small water bottle, camera, but also had safety features of being crossbody, and flapover with zippered compartments.

Yes there certainly are lighter-weight alternatives such as the little bags that fold up into a key chain pocket or perhaps the Onya Side bag (12 x 14 x 5 inches and 100 grams). But for me, I prefer the structure and security offered by something like the previous two bags I’ve mentioned.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the tip about Rick Steves' cross body bag. I had purchased the Civita Day Pack from Rick Steves but after trying it out on a few day trips around home, I don't really like the way it fits and it is also too large for the purpose. It is more of a bag for an actual day hike and would probably fit better if filled than with a few evening necessities hanging heavy at the bottom. Being a bit older than most I plan to take a little longer to get to Santiago and also starting at Seville makes for a longer journey. I was worried about weight and more so now since I was rear-ended this summer and dealing with some back issues. Thanks to each and every one of you who recommends gear and packing lists. Even the ideas that don't apply or appeal to me give me things to think about as I prepare. March 2013 seemed such a long way off in March of 2011 when I first decided to do this. Now it is right around the corner and I alternate between excitement and trepidation. The support and thoughts and ideas and even arguments here are awesome!

I stopped by the closest Decathlon store (in most bigger cities in Spain) and bought one of these lightweight, 14-liter packable backpacks: http://www.decathlon.es/mochila-plegable-id_8205180.html

Only 55 grams and costs €3.95, available in a wide range of pretty colors. It's basically the same idea as a reusable grocery bag, but I like that it closes with a zip for a bit more security for my things. I love my purple one and kind of wish I'd bought a few in other colors. I carried around my iPad and SLR camera in it (so rather heavy) and the material held up great.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am busy with my planning and thought that a small daypack which attaches to my pack might be useful. Only weighs 400 grams. It can be carried alone or attached. It can hold a hydration bladder. Can be locked if needed. Handy for the long flight also as cabin luggage. Am I on the right track with my thinking? All ideas welcome.
Ammie

I had a deep pocket with a zip on it,
I tried not to go in it! :wink:
I also put everything in a thin plastic bag to keep everything dry.

I also tried not to get change otherwise the weight would pull my trousers down! :mrgreen:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kitsambler said:
AmmieM said:
I am busy with my planning and thought that a small daypack which attaches to my pack might be useful. Only weighs 400 grams. ...

Much too heavy. You can get the same capability for 68 grams with this (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86) which collapses to the size of an egg.

I use the same Ultrasil pack as Kitsambler. Simple and neat. Fits in your hand when collapsed and weighs nothing. I use mine when walking at home as well as the Camino.
Not waterproof...but neither are most other packs of this type. http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

With a Scott E vest, who needs a bag. Use it even now when I go shopping before my Camino!

I LOVE it! Thanks to someone who posted the recommendation. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yeah! Thanks to Kitsambler I have found my evening bag for my next Camino.

Many thanks to you all for posting your suggestions.

Buen camino to you all!

grayland said:
I use the same Ultrasil pack as Kitsambler. Simple and neat. Fits in your hand when collapsed and weighs nothing. I use mine when walking at home as well as the Camino.
Not waterproof...but neither are most other packs of this type. http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86
We have these daysacs and ours are waterproof, the rain just rolls off them :) Like Grayland we use them at home as well as on the Camino.

Tia Valeria said:
grayland said:
We have these daysacs and ours are waterproof, the rain just rolls off them :) Like Grayland we use them at home as well as on the Camino.

The material in mine is pretty waterproof and I do use Nikwax waterproofing on it...but the zipper is right on top with no water proof protection and it gets wet inside pretty quick...unless we have different bags/packs.
However, it is simple to use a plastic grocery bag inside line it in the rain. A plastic bag is about the same size and works very simply.

Hola Grayland,
Ours are fine and we have had no need to reproof them. Their zips are not right on top either so they sound as though they must be a slightly different design. They did change, at least briefly, a couple of years ago. However they may have now reverted to the older style again looking at some of those on offer on-line in UK. Does yours pack away into its own little pocket fixed inside? Ours do, so pack up really small and tight.

Tia Valeria said:
Hola Grayland, ...snip.... Does yours pack away into its own little pocket fixed inside? Ours do, so pack up really small and tight.

It does pack up in it's own little pocket. Smaller than my fist and a snap to carry anywhere.
The zipper design must be a bit different because mine is right across the top.
I wonder how kitsambler's is designed since we both live in Seattle and no doubt both got them at REI flagship store here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
grayland said:
I wonder how kitsambler's is designed...
It's the same as yours, as shown in the graphic in link: typical top-loading zipper location. I've had this one a couple years, since the first walk. Don't know if there have been any design changes.

(Yes of course I am dedicated to keeping REI in business; I've had my card over 30 years now. Mostly shop online however, since I would have to take a ferry to get to the store.)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Kitsambler, I celebrated my birthday last week and guess what I received? An Ultra-Sil® Day Pack!
I love it!!!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Here is a Youtube demonstration of the Ultra-Sil® Day Pack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zmdDbskVlk.

I was thinking of using this in the albergues for my shower gear. Once problem I had on my last Camino was finding a place to hang my clothes, soap, shampoo. Does anyone have a better suggestions than this?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I really do like this bag/pack and take it with me when walking around Seattle. Couldn't be easier to carry folded into it's own bag or on your back. I found it perfect on the Camino for after walking in evening and often for carrying food, etc during the day.

I question using it for a shower bag as the seams and zipper is not waterproof. Someone else has advised otherwise...but the ones sold here by REI or not seam sealed.
Try it in the shower before you go so you don't have a problem with some stuff you are trying to keep dry.
A simple plastic bag inside would probably take care of the problem.

As for the shower, I carry a plastic 'over-the-door' hook with me so that I can hang up my clothes or valuables bag when I shower. Quite often there isn't enough, if any, hooks or places to put your clothes while showering.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back