• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Exits from Fatima to Santiago

santaremhostel

As you all know, Fatima it is not on the Caminho Portugues de Santiago (CPS).
Both share the same caminho from Lisbon to Santarem and then separate.
However, many wish to visit Fatima. Some, take the bus in Santarem or Thomar and resume the CPS from the departure town. Others walk to Fatima.
Video showing two possible exits from Fatima ; Ansiao and Thomar:

Bom Caminho
Mario

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It looks like they have got some kind of agreement with the Fatima authorities to have way marking for Santiago. In 2011 the way marks were being painted over or taken away. I saw the same happening to blue arrows on getting to the outskirts of Santiago, having them in place for 2017 would be a sign of goodwill.

Hi Mikevasey, do not think there is an agreement nor I believe the incidents you have noticed could involve Fatima authorities.
Probably other kind of organization and goals...
Also in Santarem when a second exit to Fátima was marked, some arrows were "removed" and never know who did it.
Bom Caminho
Mario

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was the municipal authorities in 2011, they left blue arrows on entry into Fatima but deleted the yellow, on the way out the same, but funnily enough once you realise what silver paint on lamp posts is obscuring they are easy to follow. The Fatima Amigos ( Rodrigo in the video) told us to expect this and the same for Santarem, but for some reason only blue arrows were being covered but it was 2011 and times change.

It was the municipal authorities in 2011, they left blue arrows on entry into Fatima but deleted the yellow, on the way out the same, but funnily enough once you realise what silver paint on lamp posts is obscuring they are easy to follow. The Fatima Amigos ( Rodrigo in the video) told us to expect this and the same for Santarem, but for some reason only blue arrows were being covered but it was 2011 and times change.
Yes times change!! and you Rodrigo, if a mark is removed he will do it again and again!

I have seen the videos off him and Padre Rui talking to the news last year in Santarem and highlighting the destruction of the way marks., He is very motivated man, I can see him waymarking many times until they remain, to have a Albergue de Peregrinos in Porto do Luz shows his effort. Thank you for showing this Video

A selection of Camino Jewellery
However, many wish to visit Fatima. Some, take the bus in Santarem or Thomar and resume the CPS from the departure town. Others walk to Fatima.

Bom Caminho
Mario

Thank you for posting the video! Is there a marked trail all the way from Fatima to Ansiao? If so, is there a trail map online anywhere? It looks about 2 days of walking (about 50 kms). Is there somewhere to stay on the way? Grateful for any links you can give me! Jill

We stayed in a pension in Caxarias about 21-22 km from Fatima, in 2011 it was the only one in town, the other possible place was at the fire station. The town is awash with natural water, the bar in the pension has a big boat type tub full of water which people walk in and fill up plastic bottles. We had a meal in the comedor , a long room covered with Azulujos and a fountain at the end, comedors can be quite a surprise sometimes but this one was right up there.

Thank you for posting the video! Is there a marked trail all the way from Fatima to Ansiao? If so, is there a trail map online anywhere? It looks about 2 days of walking (about 50 kms). Is there somewhere to stay on the way? Grateful for any links you can give me! Jill
Hi jsalt.
Believe you will find it on the site of " Associacao de Amigos dos caminhos Fátima"
www.caminho.com.pt
Where to stay:
http://caminho.com.pt/onde_ficar.html
Maps:
http://caminho.com.pt/mapas.html

Bom caminho
Mário

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great, many thanks! Are they quiet country lanes? Should I be worried about traffic on narrow roads with no margins? Jill

I cant speak for now, Rodrigo and Padre Rui work tirelessly to take the Fatima route off asphalt and provide better signage. In 2011 you left fatima on a busy country road and then after a few Km's you were taken onto unasphalted farm tracks but then later on back to quiet country lanes. This day wasnt too bad about 30% off road. I just looked at the maps Mario has provided and the route out of caxarias has changed, but it still looks like a 100% aspahalt all the way to Ansiao, mostly on pretty country lanes, but some times you cant tell from the satellite option on google maps, so it may be a mix, but in 2011 it was a 100%, its about 30-32 km.

The bar/pension is www.manalvo.com

The roads arent too bad overall, sometime there is no verges, but a little gulley so you can step down onto it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, many thanks! Are they quiet country lanes? Should I be worried about traffic on narrow roads with no margins? Jill
Sorry, do not know. But the rule is whenever possible country lanes.
The alternative is the "Caminho Nascente" Fátima - Tomar direction east
Tomar is on the caminho de Santiago
Contact the Association they will inform you all the details
http://caminho.com.pt/contact.html

Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks! It’s just that I have been to Tomar four times already (a great place!), so looking for something different to do next time. Jill

Hi Jill Salt
Have spoke with Rodrigo from the Fátima Caminho Association, and he confirms that the Fatima North exit towards Ansião are mainly country lanes.
Hope to see you again, since your last stay in Jul 27th 2014
Bom Caminho
Mário

Obrigada Mário. And, yes, I did indeed stay with you in July last year. It was a lovely stay. You weren’t there the first time I came through (2012), so I was so happy to find you the next time! :) Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes Jill, we started March 2013! See you soon.
Bom Caminho
Mario

Hello Mario. Is there a direct route from Fatima to Porto? I would like to begin my Camino at the Shrine of Fatima. I am an experienced walker and am happy to do 40+ km a day.

Thanks for your advice

Kristone

Hi, Kristone,

I answered your question on another thread, but I just wanted to add that if you are going to be walking the Caminho from Fatima in May, you should contact Mario at Santarem Hostel directly to see about accommodation, because he is usually filled with Fatima walkers. You can PM him here on the forum. Bom Caminho! Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much Laurie - I'm hoping to do the walk sometime at the end of June :)

Thanks so much Laurie - I'm hoping to do the walk sometime at the end of June :)
Hi Kristone.
In June, you should do not have the Fatima walkers issue. Please take a look about leaving Fatima alternatives, here:
http://caminho.com.pt/mapas.html
You can go north or east to Thomar and take the Caminho Santiago only skipping Golegã.
Please note, that Fátima is not part of the Caminho Santiago.
From Lisbon to Santarem, Fatima and Santiago share the same caminho.
But in Santarem they separate. Caminho Santiago towards, Golegã, Tomar... etc. Not Fátima
Your choice and Bom Caminho

Bom Caminho
Mario

Thank you so much. This is the only piece of info on leaving Fatima I could find. You have saved me hours of trouble.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That video is no longer applicable because of this https://www.caminho.com.pt The man in the video is Rodrigo who also declares the discontinuation of the Fatima pilgrim association on the website. I have walked this way and it was always in my intentions to go back, I will not now until this is resolved to the satisfaction of the Pilgrim Association.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back