• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experiences on the Olvidado - June/July 2023

WestKirsty

Time of past OR future Camino
Next up: Viejo/Olvidado
Hello from Villafranca de Bierzo! I've just finished walking the Olvidado from Aguilar de Campoo, where I joined it from the Camino Viejo. I didn't live post as @LTfit was just a few days ahead of me and shared wonderful live posts with info on the route, accommodations etc. There was no need to duplicate, but of course we walked our own journeys and will have our own stories so I thought I'd post a little summary here. Hopefully some useful information for future Olvidado pilgrims, and maybe some familiar characters for Olvidado alumni!

My stages:
1. Aguilar de Campoo to Cervera (Hostel Pineda)
2. Cervera to Guardo (Albergue)
3. Guardo to Puente Almuhey (route B) (Municipal albergue)
4. Puente Almuhey to Cistierna (Hostal Moderno)
5. Cistierna to Boñar (Hostal Nisi)
6. Boñar to Vegacervera (Long story...see below!)
7. Vegacevera to Pola de Gordón (Pension 15 Mayo)
8. Pola de Gordón to La Magdalena (municipal albergue)
9. La Magdalena to Vegarienza (Albergue)
10. Vegarienza to Fasgar (Albergue)
11. Fasgar to Igüeña (Albergue Turístico)
12. Igüeña to Congosto (municipal albergue)
13. Congosto to Villafranca de Bierzo (hostal Méndez)

Navigation: I found the Olvidado very well marked in most places. I took the 'B' mountain routes (highly recommend, by the way!) and there were a few places where having access to tracks of some variety was very useful. I used a combination of Wikiloc (Ender's tracks) and the Wise Pilgrim app at times. When Wikiloc beeped at me, I would check and if my error wasn't obvious, I would open Wise Pilgrim. The map feature worked very well and was up to date in the places where I used it. Note: I've also walked Bilbao to Arija on separate occasions and only had one confusing section before Bercedo where either the Wise Pilgrim map was off, or someone put a fence up! This seems to be an issue on a few stages before Aguilar. In her video, Sarah Dhooma jumped the barbwire fence at the same place I did so I think lots of us are having issues here.

Staying at non-pilgrim albergues/albergues turísticos: On the Olvidado I stayed in a few albergues not limited to pilgrims. I highly suggest calling them before your start out as these kinds of places can be booked up by large groups. I did this a few weeks before I set out, including a call to Albergue El Chalten in Vegacevera. I spoke to Pablo and he told me there would be no issue staying there on my intended date and said to call the day before from Boñar to remind him. When I arrived in Boñar, I tried calling the number on the website - as I did a few weeks before - but the message said 'not in service'. I tried another number but no answer. Figuring he must be busy, I gave it a few hours then tried again. No luck, which I started to wonder about.
An hour or so later Pablo called me back and sounded stressed and apologetic. It turns out a kids camp had an exclusive booking of the site and according to the contract, no unauthorized adults were permitted on site. It was a quick call and he told me he was calling another albergue nearby and would find me a bed. He told me not worry and to come see him the next day.

So off I went on a fabulous route into the mountains (that day is just WOW) and went to Albergue El Chalten where I waited outside and called Pablo. Him and another woman came out to greet me and to accompany me to my bed for the night. I was a bit confused and then he told me that I'd be staying at his home with him and his family and he hoped I wasn't too uncomfortable with this. He wasn't able to find another place and clearly felt bad for the mix-up (if you could call it that). They showed me the room they had prepared for me and told me to make myself at home and then went back to work. I was standing in their house shocked/humbled/I-don't-know-the-right-word by their kindness and generosity, not to mention trust of a random stranger!
The woman he was with was a friend who was also staying with them to help with the camp and their kids were lovely. They brought food from the camp for me for lunch and I was honoured to share dinner with the family. Pablo and his wife, Vanessa, were so clearly exhausted from work and I felt quite bad that they now had a pilgrim on their hands too. But they were warm and welcoming...I'm still wearing the bracelet their daughter made for me. When I left in the morning, the kids were asleep on the sofa and the floor. They'd given up their room for me.

I share this story for 2 reasons: First, I don't know how often these exclusive camp bookings happen but it is something to be aware of for those planning to stay there. I asked how many pilgrims they'd had in their home and apparently I was the first! Pablo was clearly stressed about the situation on the phone. As I know LTFit was there just 2 nights before, I'm not sure if an issue arose with their clients. It sounded like the same group had been there all week. Hopefully this doesn't happen too often - for Pilgrims and for the family!

Secondly, the kindness and generosity of the family really sums up the Olvidado for me. I've walked a few Caminos before and have always been struck by how friendly locals had been. But I am still in awe at how giving people have been along this route.

On my first 'B' route walking into Caminayo, I was looking for a bench to sit on for a break when I man came out to chat. He invited me to his house where a lovely bench and table were outside, shouted to his wife that a peregrina was there and next thing I knew I was sitting with more the half the town (permanent population of Caminayo = 5), sharing cold drinks and snacks. They filled my bottle with ice and water and I continued on my day with tears in my eyes.

Locals in bars offered to pay for my order. I have little trinkets (buttons and momentos) from perfect strangers. While it seems some locals along the Olvidado might not be happy about it - putting up fences etc. - the vast majority I met we're excited about it and so, so giving. It brings a tear to my eye just writing this.

Vegarienza & Amigas del Camino: I stayed in the albergue run by Estela and dined in Casa Maxi with that memorable kitchen. The albergue was used as a Monestary at one point and I would describe it as dated - a stark contrast to the new albergue in La Magdalena the night before! But it has everything a pilgrim needs.

I was the only person staying but when I arrived Estela told me that they were going to be having a meeting that night with the Amigas del Viejo Camino de la Montaña at the albergue and she wanted to invite me to attend. I was happy to accept the offer! The meeting began with a veritable feast of homemade tortilla (quite honestly, the best I've had!), chorizo (also homemade), cheeses, breads etc., not to mention the lemon mousse! (I got the recipe for that...so good!). They are a lovely group of women who do so much for their town, and the Camino and us pilgrims. They told me of how the building first looked when they decided to use it as an albergue and all the work they put into it. They mentioned how much they appreciate the support of the American Association of Pilgrims but we're also very clearly proud of the work they do to fund their efforts. They make all manner of crafts (including the baskets you see on the kitchen table in the albergue) and sell them at local markets. When I arrived at the albergue, I thought it old, but fine for one night. After meeting these ladies and listening to them tell me of all their efforts, it felt much more homey. A lot of love and hardwork has gone into that albergue. It's now one of my favorites.

Although, the wardrobe door creaking open on its own in the middle of the night did get the adrenaline going...

Walking to Villafranca: I know most people head down to Ponferrada to connect to the Invierno. There's not much written about Congosto to Villafranca, and after the joy of the mountain stages I can see why. The official guide/info boards split it into 2 stages but I walked it in one (~36km). As far as terrain goes it's easy walking, but the bulk of it is on roads which I find hard on my feet.
If you do walk these stages, be sure to stop in at Cafe/Bar La Madrileña in Cubillos del Sil. The woman is runs it is so friendly and excited about the Camino! As I was paying she asked if she could take my photo and then I saw the board on the wall. She has a pilgrims corner and prints out the photos of all the peregrin@s who come in for a break.
After Cubillos there is a very unpleasant road walking section - lots of industry around here so loads of big semi-trucks going past. One stretch has little to no shoulder to walk on, but it's thankfully a short section before you can walk on a quieter access road and then onto back country dirt roads (though several fuel trucks were on the road here too!).

You join the Camino Frances at Cacabelos and then you have all manner of services at your disposal. And after 3 weeks of solitary walking, so many pilgrims!

Villafranca is a nice little place to wander around and I got my Olvidada at the tourist office. Job done.

I may have written too much here, I've just realized, but hopefully there's something of use!

I'm waiting for my bus to head home and am quite sad it's over. I knew I'd like the route (mountains make me happy) but it was the overwhelming kindness and generosity that really made it special.

IMG_20230628_112142.jpg IMG_20230628_114059.jpg IMG_20230630_100205.jpg IMG_20230630_100915.jpg
IMG_20230630_100915.jpg IMG_20230701_095919.jpg IMG_20230701_100437.jpgIMG_20230702_111045.jpg IMG_20230705_090335.jpg IMG_20230705_091916.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Adding the personal stories really adds so much to what the Olvidado is. “I may have written too much here” — NOT A CHANCE!

I did know that Pablo in Vegarienza offers his home on those occasions when the camp is fully booked. He explained that he had told Ender he would take care of pilgrims and feels committed to that. It’s good to give a heads up in the forum because, as you say, it might feel a bit uncomfortable or weird. But this is for sure his standard operating practice.

I am in somewhat regular contact with Estela in Vegarienza. Her dedication to the camino comes from her love of her birthplace town and her resolve to help it survive. She moved back about ten (?) years ago afte having a career (in León I believe) to care for her brother. She is working hard to get the town‘s buy-in and it sounds like she is being successful. It’s good to hear that she is not the only person interested in the keeping the albergue going. They’ve had a few setbacks but they seem completely dedicated!

Any Fasgar stories? Rosi is the Estela of Fasgar, the one who got the place going. On my first Olvidado I stayed in her house with her family. And went to her daughter’s 4th birthday party in the social center. I believe her daughter is now in the colegio! I know Rosi had given up the albergue to another hospitalera for a while, but I believe she is now back in charge. She also had a few years running a popular restaurant, Aires de Fasgar, and casa rural in the summer but I believe that is all closed now?

We pilgrims owe so much to these people!

Great post @WestKirsty ! As you say, we may walk the same path but we have our individual stories and experiences and they may be quite different!

After reading about your Camino Viejo and seeing your pictures, it would seem that you had a marvelous combo. Imho the first few days of the Olvidado are not particularly interesting, you didn't miss anything this time around.

Only regret is that our paths didn't meet. Greeting from Chantada!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Any Fasgar stories?

I can't believe I didn't mention Fasgar! What a lovely little place 😍

I'm not sure if I met Rosi or the other hospitalera. I sent a WhatsApp a day or two before to make sure they'd be open etc. and wasn't given a name. When I got close to Fasgar I realized that I had lost cell reception (Movistar is definitely the service provider for rural Spain!) and was wondering how I was going to contact the hospitalera for the code for the keys. on entering the town, someone had just started up their car, and then turned it off. Out came a friendly woman (quite young, maybe 30s/40s...I'm terrible at guessing ages) who asked if I was the peregrina who had messaged about the albergue. Thank you Camino! Had I been minute later, I would've had a long wait to get into the Albergue. We had a quick exchange but she was in a hurry and then I let myself in.

The albergue is great! The old school house but modern. They're still fixing things up (or renovating?) as there were tools about and some minor chores to be completed, but everything you could want. They also have quite a bit of food in the kitchenette in case you didn't bring anything with you.

The elderly couple who live next door were sitting out on the street when I arrived and were as nice as can be! The woman had asked to come into the albergue but I couldn't understand her that well to know what for. As it turned out, she was bothered that the roses growing up the side of the building were falling over from their weight and recent rains and wanted to affix them to the building. It took a little while but we were pleased with our work!

IMG_20230704_151752.jpg

They were very kind and told me that if I needed anything, to just come next door.

It was a short walk to Fasgar so I was there quite early. I had checked the weather forecast and noticed that the weather was to change overnight with clouds and possible rain moving in overnight. I hated the idea of missing the view of Campo de Santiago so decided to have a little afternoon walk. It's about 3km uphill from Fasgar but not a steep ascent. I packed a picnic lunch and up I went. What a spectacular setting for a picnic! Just me and the birds and the view.

When I got back to the albergue I heard lots of voices from downstairs, including the hospitalera. It was all a go as a new bar was to open the very next day (I was so close!)! There were folks hammering away, cleaning windows etc and the hospitalera looked busy as well. She asked if I needed anything but all was well and then she ran off. I never saw her after that.

The elderly couple told me that they have 3 bars now and a restaurant but they're not often open (I suppose just summer and holidays). Nothing was open when I was there and I did a few circles of the town. There was a young couple from abroad (sounded German?) so presumably there's a Casa Rural operating. The locals were asking them how they liked the village. What's not to love about it!

I should note that noise might be an issue with the bar below. When they were working it sounded as though the voices were coming from upstairs, where I was. The sound carried quite a bit. But the folks are so friendly and it's a short stage to Igüeña so I'd suggest just joining them :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks WestKirsty, what a gift to get all this info as I walk from Aguilar del Campoo tomorrow! 🤗

It's so much more straightforward than the Viejo! And people who know about a Camino! And helpful hospitaleros! Oh my!

I dare say I was a bit bored the first few days - see arrow, follow arrow.

But once you get to the mountains...wow!

Last edited:
Imho the first few days of the Olvidado are not particularly interesting, you didn't miss anything this time around.

I've actually walked Bilbao to Arija over a few weekends. One of the benefits of living where I do! There are some nice sections, but I agree. From Bilbao is nice. From Pamplona is spectacular!

I'll need to walk Arija to Aguilar though as he put Bilbao on my Olvidada. I don't want to have a lie! I also asked the guy to put Pamplona on it. He was confused but did it for me :)

Only regret is that our paths didn't meet. Greeting from Chantada!

I regret this too! We were so close! If you (or anyone reading for that matter) are in Bilbao again, feel free to get in touch!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello from Villafranca de Bierzo! I've just finished walking the Olvidado from Aguilar de Campoo, where I joined it from the Camino Viejo. I didn't live post as @LTfit was just a few days ahead of me and shared wonderful live posts with info on the route, accommodations etc. There was no need to duplicate, but of course we walked our own journeys and will have our own stories so I thought I'd post a little summary here. Hopefully some useful information for future Olvidado pilgrims, and maybe some familiar characters for Olvidado alumni!

My stages:

Navigation: I found the Olvidado very well marked in most places. I took the 'B' mountain routes (highly recommend, by the way!) and there were a few places where having access to tracks of some variety was very useful. I used a combination of Wikiloc (Ender's tracks) and the Wise Pilgrim app at times. When Wikiloc beeped at me, I would check and if my error wasn't obvious, I would open Wise Pilgrim. The map feature worked very well and was up to date in the places where I used it. Note: I've also walked Bilbao to Arija on separate occasions and only had one confusing section before Bercedo where either the Wise Pilgrim map was off, or someone put a fence up! This seems to be an issue on a few stages before Aguilar. In her video, Sarah Dhooma jumped the barbwire fence at the same place I did so I think lots of us are having issues here.

Staying at non-pilgrim albergues/albergues turísticos: On the Olvidado I stayed in a few albergues not limited to pilgrims. I highly suggest calling them before your start out as these kinds of places can be booked up by large groups. I did this a few weeks before I set out, including a call to Albergue El Chalten in Vegacevera. I spoke to Pablo and he told me there would be no issue staying there on my intended date and said to call the day before from Boñar to remind him. When I arrived in Boñar, I tried calling the number on the website - as I did a few weeks before - but the message said 'not in service'. I tried another number but no answer. Figuring he must be busy, I gave it a few hours then tried again. No luck, which I started to wonder about.
An hour or so later Pablo called me back and sounded stressed and apologetic. It turns out a kids camp had an exclusive booking of the site and according to the contract, no unauthorized adults were permitted on site. It was a quick call and he told me he was calling another albergue nearby and would find me a bed. He told me not worry and to come see him the next day.

So off I went on a fabulous route into the mountains (that day is just WOW) and went to Albergue El Chalten where I waited outside and called Pablo. Him and another woman came out to greet me and to accompany me to my bed for the night. I was a bit confused and then he told me that I'd be staying at his home with him and his family and he hoped I wasn't too uncomfortable with this. He wasn't able to find another place and clearly felt bad for the mix-up (if you could call it that). They showed me the room they had prepared for me and told me to make myself at home and then went back to work. I was standing in their house shocked/humbled/I-don't-know-the-right-word by their kindness and generosity, not to mention trust of a random stranger!
The woman he was with was a friend who was also staying with them to help with the camp and their kids were lovely. They brought food from the camp for me for lunch and I was honoured to share dinner with the family. Pablo and his wife, Vanessa, were so clearly exhausted from work and I felt quite bad that they now had a pilgrim on their hands too. But they were warm and welcoming...I'm still wearing the bracelet their daughter made for me. When I left in the morning, the kids were asleep on the sofa and the floor. They'd given up their room for me.

I share this story for 2 reasons: First, I don't know how often these exclusive camp bookings happen but it is something to be aware of for those planning to stay there. I asked how many pilgrims they'd had in their home and apparently I was the first! Pablo was clearly stressed about the situation on the phone. As I know LTFit was there just 2 nights before, I'm not sure if an issue arose with their clients. It sounded like the same group had been there all week. Hopefully this doesn't happen too often - for Pilgrims and for the family!

Secondly, the kindness and generosity of the family really sums up the Olvidado for me. I've walked a few Caminos before and have always been struck by how friendly locals had been. But I am still in awe at how giving people have been along this route.

On my first 'B' route walking into Caminayo, I was looking for a bench to sit on for a break when I man came out to chat. He invited me to his house where a lovely bench and table were outside, shouted to his wife that a peregrina was there and next thing I knew I was sitting with more the half the town (permanent population of Caminayo = 5), sharing cold drinks and snacks. They filled my bottle with ice and water and I continued on my day with tears in my eyes.

Locals in bars offered to pay for my order. I have little trinkets (buttons and momentos) from perfect strangers. While it seems some locals along the Olvidado might not be happy about it - putting up fences etc. - the vast majority I met we're excited about it and so, so giving. It brings a tear to my eye just writing this.

Vegarienza & Amigas del Camino: I stayed in the albergue run by Estela and dined in Casa Maxi with that memorable kitchen. The albergue was used as a Monestary at one point and I would describe it as dated - a stark contrast to the new albergue in La Magdalena the night before! But it has everything a pilgrim needs.

I was the only person staying but when I arrived Estela told me that they were going to be having a meeting that night with the Amigas del Viejo Camino de la Montaña at the albergue and she wanted to invite me to attend. I was happy to accept the offer! The meeting began with a veritable feast of homemade tortilla (quite honestly, the best I've had!), chorizo (also homemade), cheeses, breads etc., not to mention the lemon mousse! (I got the recipe for that...so good!). They are a lovely group of women who do so much for their town, and the Camino and us pilgrims. They told me of how the building first looked when they decided to use it as an albergue and all the work they put into it. They mentioned how much they appreciate the support of the American Association of Pilgrims but we're also very clearly proud of the work they do to fund their efforts. They make all manner of crafts (including the baskets you see on the kitchen table in the albergue) and sell them at local markets. When I arrived at the albergue, I thought it old, but fine for one night. After meeting these ladies and listening to them tell me of all their efforts, it felt much more homey. A lot of love and hardwork has gone into that albergue. It's now one of my favorites.

Although, the wardrobe door creaking open on its own in the middle of the night did get the adrenaline going...

Walking to Villafranca: I know most people head down to Ponferrada to connect to the Invierno. There's not much written about Congosto to Villafranca, and after the joy of the mountain stages I can see why. The official guide/info boards split it into 2 stages but I walked it in one (~36km). As far as terrain goes it's easy walking, but the bulk of it is on roads which I find hard on my feet.
If you do walk these stages, be sure to stop in at Cafe/Bar La Madrileña in Cubillos del Sil. The woman is runs it is so friendly and excited about the Camino! As I was paying she asked if she could take my photo and then I saw the board on the wall. She has a pilgrims corner and prints out the photos of all the peregrin@s who come in for a break.
After Cubillos there is a very unpleasant road walking section - lots of industry around here so loads of big semi-trucks going past. One stretch has little to no shoulder to walk on, but it's thankfully a short section before you can walk on a quieter access road and then onto back country dirt roads (though several fuel trucks were on the road here too!).

You join the Camino Frances at Cacabelos and then you have all manner of services at your disposal. And after 3 weeks of solitary walking, so many pilgrims!

Villafranca is a nice little place to wander around and I got my Olvidada at the tourist office. Job done.

I may have written too much here, I've just realized, but hopefully there's something of use!

I'm waiting for my bus to head home and am quite sad it's over. I knew I'd like the route (mountains make me happy) but it was the overwhelming kindness and generosity that really made it special.

View attachment 151801 View attachment 151802 View attachment 151803 View attachment 151804
View attachment 151804 View attachment 151805 View attachment 151806View attachment 151807 View attachment 151808 View attachment 151809

My stages:

View attachment 151801 View attachment 151802 View attachment 151803 View attachment 151804
View attachment 151804 View attachment 151805 View attachment 151806View attachment 151807 View attachment 151808 View attachment 151809
Brought back wonderful memories from last year. I an=m about to book a flight to Spain, and trying to get myself to do primitivo or a bit here and there, to not be quiet so alone.. however, Olvidado is calling me again after reading your post.

Wonderful post, thank you, and the photos are inspiring. I'll be on the Olvidado soon, starting in Le Puy in August.

I just left La Madrileña. I tried to find your photo, but the woman said she hasn't put up the photos from the last couple of weeks since there is too many of them now - she needs a larger wall..! She took a photo of me and a Spaniard I am walking with, so eventually we will end up on the wall as well! She is so sweet!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just left La Madrileña. I tried to find your photo, but the woman said she hasn't put up the photos from the last couple of weeks since there is too many of them now - she needs a larger wall..! She took a photo of me and a Spaniard I am walking with, so eventually we will end up on the wall as well! She is so sweet!!

She made my last day ☺️. Now I'm definitely gonna have to walk the Olvidado again to see our pictures! (Not to mention all the other good stuff...)

Happy last day on the Olvidado!

My stages:

Oh I loved this report. I bought a flight to Bordeaux yesterday and on bus now to Dublin airport. I used blablacar to get to Spain tomorrow, and was thinking I'd walk Primitivo first, as I haven't walked a Camino with people in ages and see how I cope. 🤣 Also the Heat wave may be less extreme.

But your report has brought so many memories back. I think from Guardo on, the days become very very special. I like using wise pilgrim app and adding info as I found it.

I've never walked Inveirno or from Pamplona to Aguillar de Campoo.
Have the urge to turn back and go to Lebagniego and into Picos and have just read about a Camino from Covodonga to Oveido. I hitched that
Route. Funny story.. cars are not allowed on the road into Picos (can't remember the name of the lakes tourists go to see) from Covodonga.., and although I had a return bus ticket, we stuck thumb out to a jeep passing. They stopped. Turned out they were Diplomats from Madrid on weekend trip and using privileges of car travel on roads that other cars couldn't use. 🤗
If you have any up to date lists or screenshots from Pamplona to AdC, maybe you could forward by direct message if I share number. Thank you.

If you have any up to date lists or screenshots from Pamplona to AdC, maybe you could forward by direct message if I share number.

Hi @AshIreGal , there is a folder for the Camino Viejo (the route from Pamplona to AdC) on the forum here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-viejo-pamplona-aguilar-del-campo.331/

I posted threads with the accommodation and stages/tracks that I used for this section and there's threads from others who've walked it as well.

I should note that once you get beyond Miranda de Ebro on this route, it is not maintained as a Camino. So you need to follow other long distance trails. And the bigger issue is lack of accommodation - no pilgrim albergues and very limited options in places. I would highly recommend booking ahead in the summer months as several places have a 2 night minimum on weekends and in summer months and places book up with tourists. It goes through some really beautiful landscapes and gorgeous little villages so I wouldn't want to put anyone off walking it, but I found it quite a different experience from walking the more established routes where there is dedicated pilgrim infrastructure.

Feel free to DM if you have any questions!

My stages:

THANK YOU!!! I'm so looking forward to giving this route a go next year. Your post was definitely not too long!! Muchas gracias!!

Last edited:
I've actually walked Bilbao to Arija over a few weekends. One of the benefits of living where I do! There are some nice sections, but I agree. From Bilbao is nice. From Pamplona is spectacular!

I'll need to walk Arija to Aguilar though as he put Bilbao on my Olvidada. I don't want to have a lie! I also asked the guy to put Pamplona on it. He was confused but did it for me :)

I regret this too! We were so close! If you (or anyone reading for that matter) are in Bilbao again, feel free to get in touch!
Likewise... If any of you Can Olv Forum are in Ireland, I'm near Galway / Clare border... Just shout!

Presently on a Feve from Leon to hopefully Puente Almuhey. Haven't heard back from Sonia yet, but it's Sunday and hopefully key in the bar. Hostel Stop is full in Velilia. And not 100% if Albergue in Guardo is open this weekend, as holiday session.

As will be getting late when the train stops, feel safer in P.A Albergue, than roaming around Guardo. It maybe possible to get to Guardo tomorrow and walk back to PA or vice versa. I have not yet walked the Alternative Route.

I have next to know Spanish, but apparently a face that appears to understand everything along with my habit of saying "Si" frequently, so I get a lot of info "mi no comprenda".

My pronunciation is so bad, that folks often do not understand me when I am trying to say the name of town or village I am in🤣.

Walked Cam Primitivo and switched in Lugo to Cam San Roman. It was not busy at all in case anyone wondering. If doing the 2 stages from Lugo to Sobrado de Monxes, don't follow the trail on Buen Camino app. This link is better.

Also there was a strong rumour that the pension in Friol was dirty, full of insects unhelpful, no WiFi, over rated , awful owner, expensive... Such a strong rumour that quiet a number of numbers of "non camping" Primitivo pilgrims didn't switch at Lugo to cross to Norte. I can confirm that it was all probably a well marketed rumour probably started by a small group of pilgrims who complained about everything and were rude to the staff at the pension and haggled at the price. So much so, that the enthusiastic, knowledgeable and helpful owner who now manages place since beginning of 2023, wasn't having any crap giving to his staff. After years working in Tenerife, he stood firm. The pension mainly caters for local workers (farms, forests, electrics, and roads) and so cannot negotiate a different price for the occasional pilgrim. (I realise this info is now on the wrong forum thread).

For 3 days, I have tried to get onto Camino Olv from SdC, then Ponferrado and then Leon. Blablacar Leon to Guardo let me down late yesterday, so I stayed in monastery Albergue with the nuns.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just love all the input/stories on this Camino. I plan to start from Bilbao on the 1st Sept. Spoke to Adolfo last night in Nava de Ordunte and realised that staying with him is going to be so useful and also a great expereince in his special albergue.
I love my "stamps". Can I get my first in Santiago Cathedral in Bilbao?

Just love all the input/stories on this Camino. I plan to start from Bilbao on the 1st Sept. Spoke to Adolfo last night in Nava de Ordunte and realised that staying with him is going to be so useful and also a great expereince in his special albergue.
I love my "stamps". Can I get my first in Santiago Cathedral in Bilbao?

I'm excited for you! I haven't ever been to the Cathedral in Bilbao, come to think of it! I don't see why you couldn't get a stamp there, though best to check the opening hours.

Buen Camino when the time comes! I'm really looking forward to hearing about it :)

mountains make me happy
Yes, yes, and again yes. Especially those mountains between La Pola de Gordón and La Magdalena.

permanent population of Caminayo = 5
That's an increase of 150% from when I went through in 2016, when Zosi the mayor (and his huge Pyreneen mountain dog) saw me right.

Vegarienza & Amigas del Camino: I stayed in the albergue run by Estela and dined in Casa Maxi with that memorable kitchen
So very very pleased (and relieved, and a little surprised) that both are still functioning.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm excited for you! I haven't ever been to the Cathedral in Bilbao, come to think of it! I don't see why you couldn't get a stamp there, though best to check the opening hours.

Buen Camino when the time comes! I'm really looking forward to hearing about it :)
I got my stamp there in the small gift shop.
The exhibits in the Guggenheim Museum were a big disappointment. The building is spectacular.

I got my stamp there in the small gift shop.
The exhibits in the Guggenheim Museum were a big disappointment. The building is spectacular.
That is exactly what I thought. I was surprised to be so disappointed when visiting the inside of this "art" museum; definitely one for the eyes of the beholder...I was not a fan of most of it, sorry to say, except for this interesting display to walk in and through (photo).
The exterior though...amazing from all angles!
Screenshot_20230924-112023~2.png

I am sad to report that after reaching Balmaseda, decided to return home to the Gers countryside because of muscular back pain. Because I lost many kilos on the Aragonese in April, whilst hiking all summer, apparently my back muscles disappeared so now..it’s back to the drawing board with work in a gym so that my body can easily handle 14 kgs including water.

I shall be back in Bilbao in April and walk the Olvidado then. I can’t wait to be on the road again. Terrible decision to make and a large disappointment.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
it’s back to the drawing board with work in a gym so that my body can easily handle 14 kgs including water.
Sorry to hear of your aborted Camino. Glad your trip home is not as far as many of us deal with.
Yikes! That's carrying over 30 pounds US weight. Were you mostly camping out?
Best wishes for your Camino starting in the spring.

Sorry to hear of your aborted Camino. Glad your trip home is not as far as many of us deal with.
Yikes! That's carrying over 30 pounds US weight. Were you mostly camping out?
Best wishes for your Camino starting in the spring.
It is better to realise that and be able to deal with it beforehand than regret it. I lost 20 kgs during the training, walking the Aragonaise after years of flying around and sitting behind a computer screen. Hey, I am 70 years old..and can’t wait to start the Olvidado again. This taught me something..that one can plan almost everything but not All.

Wow, to lose 20kg in weight is serious I think to your health. I hope you make a full recovery soon. I am glad to have walked the Olvidado. It was what everyone said, spectacular, if not a little scary in parts. Good thing is Sonia at the albergue in Puente Almuhey said that 100 have stayed this year so far, a good increase on last year. I met around 10 or 11 on a fairly regular basis, which I was both surprised and delighted.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am sad to report that after reaching Balmaseda, decided to return home to the Gers countryside because of muscular back pain. Because I lost many kilos on the Aragonese in April, whilst hiking all summer, apparently my back muscles disappeared so now..it’s back to the drawing board with work in a gym so that my body can easily handle 14 kgs including water.

I shall be back in Bilbao in April and walk the Olvidado then. I can’t wait to be on the road again. Terrible decision to make and a large disappointment.

I'm really sorry to hear! But yes, the Olvidado will be awaiting your return. Buen Camino when the time comes!

Wow, to lose 20kg in weight is serious I think to your health. I hope you make a full recovery soon. I am glad to have walked the Olvidado. It was what everyone said, spectacular, if not a little scary in parts. Good thing is Sonia at the albergue in Puente Almuhey said that 100 have stayed this year so far, a good increase on last year. I met around 10 or 11 on a fairly regular basis, which I was both surprised and delighted.
I stayed 2 nights in Puente Almuhey... walked backwards to Guardo, as missed the morning train. Then walked forward to Cisterna next day. In late July 2023, Sonia had had 117 quests. By the end of 2022, a total of 134, so numbers on the rise.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back