• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Father John Goodyear 1456

tincress

Hi does anyone know of any contacts in Spain who may be able to help me with finding out more information about Father John Goodyear and his pilgrimage in 1456. He presented an Altarpiece to the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostella that now resides in the Museum there. We are walking in his footsteps and are going to present a small gift from the people of Chale, Isle of Wight (where he originated from) to commemorate the 555 anniversary of his visit. We need to know a/ is anything more known about his life and times, b/ how did he get the Alabaster altarpiece there, c/ who should we contact regarding a presentation to the Cathedral? Would be grateful any help, regards to all peregrinos

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would contact the Confraternity of St James. Many people over the years have written papers on pilgrims to Santiago in the middleages. Professor Brian Tate wrote a paper for the 1991 conference titled "Pilgrimage to St James of Compostella from the British Isles during the late middle ages". They have a close working relationship with the Cathedral in Santiago.
There is no mention of Father John Goodyear in Constance Mary Storr's excellent book 'Jacobean Pilgrims from England to St James of Compostella from the early twelfth to late fifteenth century".
1456 was a Holy Year and she lists the names of 17 ships and their license holders who carried pilgrims from England to Spain that year.
Chapter 5 is "English Pilgrims of St James" and she does mention 1456 but mostly William Wey's journey.
Good luck with your research.

I found this reference to the altar piece.
http://1001footsteps.com/caminos/ingles.html

And this 1926 reference: http://nq.oxfordjournals.org/content/CL ... matter.pdf

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Here is a brief outline of our Camino from Reading UK to Santiago de Compostella via the Camino Ingles. Day 1 April 7th Reading to Little London. Reading is very Pilgrim friendly, great signage...
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back