• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fatima/Pope = No Ferry From Caminha till Sunday.

Playful Dread

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way (Porto - Santiago - Finisterre) June/July 2015
Portuguese Way (Lisbon - Santiago - Finisterre) May/June 2017
We are currently in Caminha on the coastal route and we were hoping to catch the ferry over the river Minhos into Spain heading for A Guarda.

We've been told that due to the Popes visit to Fatima here in Portugal all ferry crossings are suspended until Sunday. Not sure of the reasoning behind this yet but if anyone else is headed this way be prepared for either a 10km detour up the coast to a bridge crossing or to spend a few extra nights in Caminha.

We managed to book a really cheap airbnb so are staying local with Maria here in Caminha till Sunday. It will also give our blisters time to heal and dry out ready for the next part of our walk up the coast.

One thing we have realised this Camino is that we may be reaching that time in life where our bodies are taking a lot longer to acclimatise to sleeping outdoors with the bare minimum of equipment we have. Our tarp gathered so much condensation the other night we nearly ended up wetter on the inside of the tarp than there was dew on the outside.

Anyhow's we are enjoying the rest and watching the occasional torrential downpour from this lovely town flat off the square so I'll bid everyone a bom Caminho and say a little prayer in the hope his holiness doesn't cause any more disruptions!

ONE love.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not sure from your post if all boat crossings are banned, but if you walk along the river towards the ocean, you will come to a large beach near the mouth of the river. Ask for Mario, and if he is there, he will take you across in his fishing boat. That is how we did it last summer, instead of waiting for the ferry.

17359406_1272533712843243_8323446307205709690_o.jpg

Thanks Doogman. I have since found out that there is a crossing from Foz do Minho by a local water taxi but requires a minimum of 5 people. I think with the blisters the way they are anyway I'm almost welcoming the rest off my feet.

But if I heal quickly enough then Mario seems a good plan.

Again, many thanks Doogman

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back