• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino...72 hours to go!

KristinK

Time of past OR future Camino
August 14, 2016 SJ-Santiago-Finisterre
Hello! I'm Kristin and I'm from Texas (USA). I've made my way to Germany and leave on Sunday (August 14, 2016) for Pamplona to start my Camino via SJPDP.

This is sort of a last minute trip as I just decided to do it about 3 weeks ago, after I got to Germany and tried to decide how I would spend my 90 days in Europe. So, thanks to this forum, the unselfish information provided and the questions of others on their first Camino, I found most everything I needed to plan. BTW, I find planning stressful and hugely disappointing, so I try to avoid it:). For a trip like this, I did use common sense but have decided not to stress about the parts I cannot control, believing it will be ok if I just get there and start putting one foot in front of the other. I've calculated I'll do that around 1.4 million times on my way to Finisterre!

Anyway, over the weekend I found an inexpensive flight, got a taxi reservation from Pamplona (I'd be happy to share if anyone else is arriving around 4pm), a reservation at Beilari, and sent a request to Refuge Orisson for August 15 (7 days before my arrival). Orisson responded last night that they do have a bed and dinner/breakfast. So I booked it. I do not have nor did I need a Paypal account. They sent a request for payment and I followed the Paypal prompts (in French, no less!!!).

So I leave in 72 hours and that is as much planning as I'll do other than occasional reservations as I find necessary over the next 40-45 days.

And a special thank you to all of those that gave detailed reports on packing and how to get to SJPDP. That alone probably kept me from making incredibly costly (and heavy) mistakes.

I hope to meet some of you out there!

Buen Camino,

Kristin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello! I'm Kristin and I'm from Texas (USA). I've made my way to Germany and leave on Sunday (August 14, 2016) for Pamplona to start my Camino via SJPDP.

This is sort of a last minute trip as I just decided to do it about 3 weeks ago, after I got to Germany and tried to decide how I would spend my 90 days in Europe. So, thanks to this forum, the unselfish information provided and the questions of others on their first Camino, I found most everything I needed to plan. BTW, I find planning stressful and hugely disappointing, so I try to avoid it:). For a trip like this, I did use common sense but have decided not to stress about the parts I cannot control, believing it will be ok if I just get there and start putting one foot in front of the other. I've calculated I'll do that around 1.4 million times on my way to Finisterre!

Anyway, over the weekend I found an inexpensive flight, got a taxi reservation from Pamplona (I'd be happy to share if anyone else is arriving around 4pm), a reservation at Beilari, and sent a request to Refuge Orisson for August 15 (7 days before my arrival). Orisson responded last night that they do have a bed and dinner/breakfast. So I booked it. I do not have nor did I need a Paypal account. They sent a request for payment and I followed the Paypal prompts (in French, no less!!!).

So I leave in 72 hours and that is as much planning as I'll do other than occasional reservations as I find necessary over the next 40-45 days.

And a special thank you to all of those that gave detailed reports on packing and how to get to SJPDP. That alone probably kept me from making incredibly costly (and heavy) mistakes.

Buen Camino,

Kristin

Buen Camino!

And maybe we'll run into each other in September when I'm back on the Camino

Buen Camino,

Kristin
Hi Kristin, wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter. :)

Welcome Kristin! You are in for an adventure. I wish you all the best.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Way to go. 2 hours ago I booked my trip to Burgos for Sept.1, and am very pleased. Walking to SdC. No return ticket: it will take what it takes. Take it easy and smell the roses. :) Do not stress.

Trust in yourself, and there will always be helpful pilgrims around you.

The best plan is to not have a plan: Just go there and start walking. It will all sort out, believe me.

"My name is Alex and I'm a Caminoholic"

Way to go. 2 hours ago I booked my trip to Burgos for Sept.1, and am very pleased. Walking to SdC. No return ticket: it will take what it takes. Take it easy and smell the roses. :) Do not stress.

Trust in yourself, and there will always be helpful pilgrims around you.

The best plan is to not have a plan: Just go there and start walking. It will all sort out, believe me.

"My name is Alex and I'm a Caminoholic"
Yes, I'm approaching this with the same attitude! I haven't bought my return ticket either!

Any recommendations about checking my backpack or carrying it on? I have some (possibly unwarranted) fear of being separated from it on arrival...that, and keeping it with me increases my chances of catching the last bus out of Pamplona vs. a taxi to SJ (€30 vs. €110). So much has gone right that I won't complain either way!!

Thank you all so much for the good wishes!

48 hours to go...Kristin

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.