• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino in April/May 2020

Sue & Dana

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2020
Hi! Dana and I will be walking our first Camino beginning 27 April 2020. We plan to walk the Frances from SJPdP, and want to pick up the Invierno in Ponferrada. Excited about the journey and seeing Santiago. Question: is there a reason to continue on the Frances and not do the Invierno? Special sights that are Must Sees (beautiful areas, cathedrals, historic sites, etc.)? Are we going to miss out on the specialness that is the Frances by doing only until Ponferrada? Thanks! Sue

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one thing is that until Ponferrada you might have changed your mind and want to continue with your newly found Camino friends ;-)

BC SY

PS As for what you would miss:

Villafranca del Bierzo with its quaint old town
Samos and its monastery (don't miss the more than 1,000 years old Cypress Chapel)
The sunken and new town of Portmarin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi! Dana and I will be walking our first Camino beginning 27 April 2020. We plan to walk the Frances from SJPdP, and want to pick up the Invierno in Ponferrada. Excited about the journey and seeing Santiago. Question: is there a reason to continue on the Frances and not do the Invierno? Special sights that are Must Sees (beautiful areas, cathedrals, historic sites, etc.)? Are we going to miss out on the specialness that is the Frances by doing only until Ponferrada? Thanks! Sue

Sue:

My only question would be why? Is there a reason to veer off the Frances and onto the Invierno?

Why not veer off at Leon and walk the San Salvador and then the Primitivo?

It is hard to formulate an answer without knowing why the deviation?

I assume you have put some thought into your current plan. Do you want to incorporate more than one Camino in your walk? If so, I would go back to the other alternative I suggested. That includes parts of one Camino and two other complete Camino's including a separate Compostela.

As far as the specialness of one section of a Camino over another, that is in the eye of the beholder.

The one thing I will agree with , in the previous response, is you will probably leave a Camino family behind or they might follow.

Without knowing the driver to deviate from the Frances it is hard to answer your question. That said, your end goal to arrive in Santiago will be achieved by either path.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi again and thanks for your replies. A couple of drivers re leaving the Frances For the Invierno: avoiding the traffic jam from Sarria, falling in love with the photos and blogs I have read re the Invierno. If I was going solo, I would simply do the Invierno, but Dana is in love with the idea of the Frances - a dilemma. Either way will be wonderful, but as we are both in our late 60’s, and live a far piece away from Europe, and wanting to do So Many Other Things as well, I don’t know that we would be able to simply plan on another Camino. We are fortunate in that time away from home (although dogs!) is not an issue, being retired.

Hi again and thanks for your replies. A couple of drivers re leaving the Frances For the Invierno: avoiding the traffic jam from Sarria, falling in love with the photos and blogs I have read re the Invierno. If I was going solo, I would simply do the Invierno, but Dana is in love with the idea of the Frances - a dilemma. Either way will be wonderful, but as we are both in our late 60’s, and live a far piece away from Europe, and wanting to do So Many Other Things as well, I don’t know that we would be able to simply plan on another Camino. We are fortunate in that time away from home (although dogs!) is not an issue, being retired.

Sue:

I assumed you had done some level of research to choose the Invierno. The Frances has become far more crowded than my first Camino in 2010. I started on March 23rd and there were 13 Peregrino's. I walked the Frances again in 2011 and in 2017. In 2017 I started on April 11th and there were over 300 Peregrino's. The Camino has become very popular. That said, the Frances is a good first Camino if you are not a serious hiker. You will make many friends along the way and it may be hard to leave them in Ponferrada or they may join you. While I have not walked the Invierno yet it is becoming a favorite for many.

I find Spring to be my favorite time to walk, mostly for convenience in my life schedule. I am sure it will be a memorable experience. If I can be of assistance in any way, please just ask or PM me.

Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sue:

I assumed you had done some level of research to choose the Invierno. The Frances has become far more crowded than my first Camino in 2010. I started on March 23rd and there were 13 Peregrino's. I walked the Frances again in 2011 and in 2017. In 2017 I started on April 11th and there were over 300 Peregrino's. The Camino has become very popular. That said, the Frances is a good first Camino if you are not a serious hiker. You will make many friends along the way and it may be hard to leave them in Ponferrada or they may join you. While I have not walked the Invierno yet it is becoming a favorite for many.

I find Spring to be my favorite time to walk, mostly for convenience in my life schedule. I am sure it will be a memorable experience. If I can be of assistance in any way, please just ask or PM me.

Joe
Thanks Joe, appreciate the comments. we may end up deciding on the spur of the moment! We are pretty experienced hikers but this is not the PCT! How ever we go, it will be wonderful - it is always wonderful!

Thanks Joe, appreciate the comments. we may end up deciding on the spur of the moment! We are pretty experienced hikers but this is not the PCT! How ever we go, it will be wonderful - it is always wonderful!

With that type of attitude, your Camino will be great.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back