• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino Route planning by town and km

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Found this resource which I am sure already exists here in this forum. I thought it might make planning easier for first timers like myself. It is especially useful to me because I have wobbly knees that never seem to cooperate with what my mind is planning. Website has english translation Pick a starting point on the left then an ending point on the right Enter your name on the bottom hit submit then start to plan your walk.

https://godesalco.com/plan/frances
Good luck

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's a really good way of doing it. Im trying to work out a kid friendly route from Leon. Well discovered.

I think most of the regulars on this site have spent an hour playing with options on this site, its really rather well done. I will point out that once you are out there though, all your cold winter nights spent planning, weighing, and deciding will go straight out the window. Between weather, blisters, food poisoning, and the two really cool dudes from Norway you have been walking with for the past three days, schedules and plans have a way of rewriting themselves. By all means, beginners, have some fun with scenarios. But resist the urge to make a concrete plan much beyond the first day or two. The Camino has a way of persuading you to try something unexpected.

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Found this resource which I am sure already exists here in this forum. I thought it might make planning easier for first timers like myself. It is especially useful to me because I have wobbly knees that never seem to cooperate with what my mind is planning. Website has english translation Pick a starting point on the left then an ending point on the right Enter your name on the bottom hit submit then start to plan your walk.

https://godesalco.com/plan/frances
Good luck

I use it for all my Camino’s. Really good planner. But beware. Last June I was using it on the Via de la Plata and the albergue on my list was closed for more than a year. This meant I had to walk another 15k without water in 47 degrees.

So, if the stop is important for you, check availability on the internet.

"The best laid plans of men and mice..." The best plan is total flexibility. Distance and place certainly do count, but several other possible considerations come to mind: blisters; strained ankles, knees, backs; new blisters on around or under existing blisters; hamstring; you slog it into say Hermanillos and there is no room in the inn ah the albergue; three days straight when "the springs of the deep and the floodgates of the heavens" were opened Incessantly soaking you, everything you are carrying; after eating that odd tasting bit of chorizo you come down with Boabdil's revenge; you meet a fellow pilgrim who rapidly becomes a soul friend but who walks half as fast or twice your usual pace. There are so many possibilities that a good plan is that which can be quickly revised or scrapped!

I think most of the regulars on this site have spent an hour playing with options on this site, its really rather well done. I will point out that once you are out there though, all your cold winter nights spent planning, weighing, and deciding will go straight out the window. Between weather, blisters, food poisoning, and the two really cool dudes from Norway you have been walking with for the past three days, schedules and plans have a way of rewriting themselves. By all means, beginners, have some fun with scenarios. But resist the urge to make a concrete plan much beyond the first day or two. The Camino has a way of persuading you to try something unexpected.

Buen Camino!
Great point Rick ! I just use it as a guide to determine what is available in terms of distance. My knees and my need to have some level of control demands that I have a plan lol . By no means is the plan set in stone. Being retired I have learned to stop and smell the roses and if by chance I am stung by a bee on said rose or run over by a bull while bending to smell the rose I have a plan for that too hahah.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I use it for all my Camino’s. Really good planner. But beware. Last June I was using it on the Via de la Plata and the albergue on my list was closed for more than a year. This meant I had to walk another 15k without water in 47 degrees.

So, if the stop is important for you, check availability on the internet.
Another great point Thanks for the input. As a person who has the challenge of bad knees I have a set minimum km I want to walk each day but in planning I also look at how far the next place is just in case no lodging is available. Can’t stop every bad thing from happening but planning helps me have a head start

As others have said, flexibility is the key to a successful Camino.
I've played with that website, but my favorite remains the Eroski site.

As has been previously mentioned, play with it and have fun. I did when I found the site a few years ago. After you plan your route. Print it and than tear it up.
Just walk and take it a step at a time. Listen to your body, not your group, not the time of day, or any stage suggestions in the guides. Your body will tell you when to go, when to break, when to eat and when to sleep. Your body is your guide and best friend. Trust it and you will have the experience of a lifetime. My body promises you!
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Avoid O'Cebreiro - catch bus from Trabadelo to Triacastela but it only goes three times a week so have to pick your days - https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Trabadelo/Tríacastela
I liked the mountains particularly, and the kids are used to hills, we live in a steep place! And I'll give them some longer training times building up to it.
The Michelin book which we used on previous times means you have to do a lot of mental working out of distances between pages. (I know my brain should be able to do that easily, but this calculator was so much faster.)
I try to stop in the smaller places where possible, which means I seldom follow the recommended sections. With the kids,I have to work out the days to fit within the school holidays plus a few extra days, so we don't have much leeway (they want to get a Compostella), So I'm keeping some of the days short, where there is something I think they'll like, eg the swimming area at Molinaseca. And the other days I'm keeping the days to around 20kms up to 25kms. We did a lot of 25-35km days on our Caminos, but I want the kids (plus my husband has a tricky knee) to have a good time.
If they want to travel further each day we can always do that, and then we could go to Finisterre if we had time, but at least I know that we can make it work within the time we have, taking our time more. My other trips were with my walking buddies, and we were all up for longer walks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back