• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino

warrigal

Hello all,
Flight is booked, on 8th september I appear in Malaga, going to enjoy little bit of Gibraltar, and then move on to Via de la Plata. On septembet~15th i could be in Sevilla and start my way.
I Have:
Backpack;
Sleeping Bag;
Yoga matt;
Rain Coat;

Enough for start, but which items would you name- MUST HAVE along the way.
What extra footgear/clothing should i take? (I`m like 65kg, so my options ar limited)
How much water would it be smart to carry with me?
What are your experience with using tents (trying to optimize costs)
Any suggestions and ideas would be helpfull! :)

Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
warrigal said:
Hello all,
Flight is booked, on 8th september I appear in Malaga, going to enjoy little bit of Gibraltar, and then move on to Via de la Plata. On septembet~15th i could be in Sevilla and start my way.
I Have:
Backpack;
Sleeping Bag;
Yoga matt;
Rain Coat;

Enough for start, but which items would you name- MUST HAVE along the way.
What extra footgear/clothing should i take? (I`m like 65kg, so my options ar limited)
How much water would it be smart to carry with me?
What are your experience with using tents (trying to optimize costs)
Any suggestions and ideas would be helpfull! :)
Hi Warrigal
I walked the vdlp in September 2 years ago its a great way but not one to take lightly even in Sept it was so hot 38/40 -so weight to a minimum water to the max-min 2lts some days you will need 4 lts,My pack was only 25lts-no sleeping bag (too hot) a cotton/silk liner is enough,no need for a yoga matt-plenty of cheap accommodation from donotivo to 6euro the most I paid was 17 euro for a single onsuite room and the same for my first night in Seville-a very very light rain wear is all you will need,you will also need some sort of guide but you will pick something in Seville.
I slept out for one night only but it was so warm-the cheap accommodation is increasing all the time but the distances between can be long -in one case 30 km with no shops or water.
I can't impress on you how important the weight you carry is-so everything down to the minimum-2 pairs of socks-2 lightweight tops (not cotton) a fleece maybe for the evenings-lightweight sandals also for the evenings-two pairs of underwear-its easy to wash most nights.
have a great Camino-but treat it with respect-to give you some sort of idea I lost 10 kilo in weight so for fear of repeating myself keep your pack weight down to the barest minimum and you will be rewarded.
there are some pics a couple of video's and my thoughts on my blog (below)
buen Camino
Ian

sagalouts said:
warrigal said:
Hi Warrigal
I walked the vdlp in September 2 years ago its a great way but not one to take lightly even in Sept it was so hot 38/40 -so weight to a minimum water to the max-min 2lts some days you will need 4 lts,My pack was only 25lts-no sleeping bag (too hot) a cotton/silk liner is enough,no need for a yoga matt-plenty of cheap accommodation from donotivo to 6euro the most I paid was 17 euro for a single onsuite room and the same for my first night in Seville-a very very light rain wear is all you will need,you will also need some sort of guide but you will pick something in Seville.
I slept out for one night only but it was so warm-the cheap accommodation is increasing all the time but the distances between can be long -in one case 30 km with no shops or water.
I can't impress on you how important the weight you carry is-so everything down to the minimum-2 pairs of socks-2 lightweight tops (not cotton) a fleece maybe for the evenings-lightweight sandals also for the evenings-two pairs of underwear-its easy to wash most nights.
have a great Camino-but treat it with respect-to give you some sort of idea I lost 10 kilo in weight so for fear of repeating myself keep your pack weight down to the barest minimum and you will be rewarded.
there are some pics a couple of video's and my thoughts on my blog (below)
buen Camino
Ian

Many thanks for answer and suggestions, i realize that it will be one of greatest chellenges i`ve had and closer it comes, scarier it gets. :)
About weather - i read somewhere that in north of Spain and especially in october it`s rain season there, and it`s not as warm as Andalucia`s fields. Can you please comment on that ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last October it rained on only two days in Leon. October is supposed to be a rainy month, but sometimes it is not!

it's supposed to be scary-who wants to do the mundane,I walked in October last year on the northern coast it was hot,for me the only way to do these long walks is just to be in the moment-that first step that first day,that first glass of wine at the end of the day,reflecting on what you have achieved looking forward to the next days challenges and so you move on getter stronger more able to cope with whatever the day throws at you.
that first day out of Seville was a killer for me,didn't carry enough water and the last 10k just went on and on,one long unwinding road,but I made it,not once did I think what the weather would be like in Galicia :D
Ian

Hi Warrigal.
In my opinion the most important thing to take on your Camino is a footwear system that works, you will see a number of pilgrims who have foot problems from day one and suffer for the whole Camino, don't be one of them! Make sure that you have walked at least 40-50 kms over two days with a loaded rucksack, this will replicate what you will experiance on the Camino, if you don't blister chances are you will be ok.
I found the system that worked for me on this forum.Petolium jelly, liner socks and heavy smartwool socks and well fitted boots worked for me.

Regards

George.g

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...
On the stone pillars, there are 3 languages. 1st is Spanish of course and the 3rd is Arabic (says road to palata). Anyone know what the second language is?
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...
First, this was my fourth Camino and was the most consistently beautiful walk I've done. Hilly, varied and so scenic! My daughter and I walked from Puebla de Sanabria to Santiago Apr. 14 - May 2...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back