• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First aid kit recommendations for Via de La Plata

MajorBozo

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024 Via de La Plata Sevilla start
Hello All,
I plan on leaving Sevilla April 5. Flying out of South Carolina April 2. I have been gearing up and training since August. I just finished putting a blog together and willing to share it publicly. Still learning the blogging art..
Question for the for the peregrinos antiguos:
What is a good first aid kit to start with I have looked at mymedic and plan to customize.
What item do you wish you had in yours? Or what item you wish you had more of?
What item you wished you did not schlep the entire 600 miles(1000 KM)?
Any advice is appreciated.
My first Camino and probably my only.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are walking to/from and through villages every day. You don't need an extensive first aid kit - just enough to get you to the next town with a pharmacy.

I carry a few bandaids, cotton gauze, tape, antiseptic wipes, etc. Plus acetaminophen, allergy pills, and Imodium.

If I need a torniquete or to fashion a sling I can use my towel or tear up my silk sleep sack.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't carry much,
To prevent blisters: Vaseline, hikers wool and some tape.
A few bandaids and the smallest tube of antiseptic.
Small tube of Voltaren Gel. (20 ml)
Tiny plastic bottle of Lavender Oil (10 ml) for sunburn, insect bites.

I used it all and replenished Vaseline a couple of times.
Didn't need anything else.

I carry the same first aid items on every route, including the VDLP - paper tape or Omnifix tape for daily blister care or prevention , a small selection of various bandaids, a few ibuprofen tablets, 2-3 antihistamine tablets, a couple of aspirins, small container of Voltaren-like ointment, maybe a tube of antiseptic ointment, and a few antiseptic/alcohol wipes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I carry a fairly extensive first aid kit as I have found when you need first aid, you need it right then and there, not from a farmacia 10 kilometres away. I have 1 triangular bandage, 2 crepe bandages, 2 gauze bandages, a wound dressing, tape, gauze pads, various size bandaids, compeed blister dressings, duct tape, gel toe sleeves, antiseptic powder and voltaren gel. The medicines I have are anti diarrhoea, anti constipation, anti histamine, anti indegestion, ibuprofen, paracetamol and nasal decongestant. To finish off there is a pair of scissors, tweezers, a splinter probe and a small magnfying glass.

Sounds a lot, but it weighs only 470 grams and is well worth it for the ability to take care of yourself (or someone else) and not be over reliant on outside assistance.

I do always take a tube of cortisone cream (they don't sell it OTC in Spain). Usually, some immodium (4 tablets). Some dramamine (4 tabs or so) for crazy bus rides. A few Tylenol and a few ibuprofen as I can restock in Spain. Maybe one or 2 bandaids. Some paper tape for hotspots. Plus my prescribed medications. I have also been carrying 2 covid kits the last 3 Caminos. (Got Covid 2 years ago.) I always have a few moist towelettes and some tissues.

You can buy most things in Spain so no need for the giant first aid kit I used to carry backcountry camping. I have just enough stuff to get me to the Pharmacy the next day if needed.

Edit: I do have a tweezer, too. And a pocket knife.

Last edited:
So little possible. As others have said there are towns at every stop and farmacias are at every corner (well almost). A few bandaids, antiseptic/iodine and needle + thread is all I take for potential blisters, plus my daily Vaseline. Just in case I have paracetamol. The rest can ve bought if needed.
p.s. peregrinos veteranos is probably more correct😉

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A small selection of all of the above should work. I found a scissors made cutting tape a lot easier. I would agree with J Willhaus on the Imodium it’s the one thing you might need sooner than a farmacia is available. It was very useful when I needed it on a stage where there was no farmacia in the village I stayed in.

I don't carry much,
To prevent blisters: Vaseline, hikers wool and some tape.
A few bandaids and the smallest tube of antiseptic.
Small tube of Voltaren Gel. (20 ml)
Tiny plastic bottle of Lavender Oil (10 ml) for sunburn, insect bites.

I used it all and replenished Vaseline a couple of times.
Didn't need anything else.
Just wondering 🤔 Is hikers' wool the same as sheep's wool??? 🤭

Definitely tablets to treat diarrhoea. If you feel those gripes, you want to take the first tablets straight away, not have to walk another 7km & hope a pharmacy will be there and open. ( The voice of thankful experience!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello All,
I plan on leaving Sevilla April 5. Flying out of South Carolina April 2. I have been gearing up and training since August. I just finished putting a blog together and willing to share it publicly. Still learning the blogging art..
What is a good first aid kit to start with I have looked at mymedic and plan to customize.
Foot care is the most important for me - Compeed, a few bandaids, some padding, tape, toe separators, Vaseline daily. After that a few paracetamol and a small scissors to cut tape. The VdlP has fewer villages than some other routes, and some are small and don’t have a pharmacy. You also have to factor in Saturday afternoon and Sunday closures so bring enough for few days of blister management.

I think any off the shelf hikers first aid kit will do.
I'dd add
1/a selection of compeed ( blister plasters)
2/ antiseptic spray
3/ immodium
4/ paracetamol/ibuprofen or some other over the counter painmeds.

For emergencies and serious injurious make sure your mobile phone has enough charge, i.e. carry a powerbank

If you really need to feel safe you could carry an emergency gps locator beacon. Just keep in mind that once activated it may trigger a full search and rescue operation. Use with discretion.

1. A tube of Voltaren
2. Moleskin
3. small baby fingernail scissors (blunted points)
4. cough drops
5. Tylenol/aspirin/ibuprophen
6. Compeed
7. flu/cold med that you dissolve and drink as tea
8. two band-aids

I prevent blisters by wearing a pair of Injinji socks (toe socks) as sock liners.

My personal emergency kit is different from this first aid kit.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Paracetamol or ibuprofen.
Plasters (bandaid) various sizes.
Antihistamine (loratadina).
Nail clipper (not really first aid but important).
Health insurance card.
That's about it. You restock in the pharmacies as you walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello All,
K-tape (preferred) or leukoplast for feet of chafing
Some kind of lubricant eg bodyglide one bodyglade lasts about 400km for feet.
Fixomul strips.
A couple of bandaids
Kunzea cream for muscle aches or Voltaren gel
An emergency blanket for hypothermia. Nail scissors.

Paracetamol and an NSAID
Duct tape -a few strips I put on my poles
Metatarsal pads depending on your shoes.

Lambswool, finely combed, high in lanolin. Here in Germany it's sold predominantly to breastfeeding mothers at many local drugstores. Cheaper that way too! (About 50%cheaper... )

Raw sheeps wool is a little coarse apparently.
Are talking about Acti-bliss?

One thing that I found was helpfull, was to have a tube of electrolyte tablets. Put one a day into my waterbottle.

Thanks. It's great for insulating blisters particularly between toes but I think a lot of walkers don't know about it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Foot care is the most important for me - Compeed, a few bandaids, some padding, tape, toe separators, Vaseline daily. After that a few paracetamol and a small scissors to cut tape. The VdlP has fewer villages than some other routes, and some are small and don’t have a pharmacy. You also have to factor in Saturday afternoon and Sunday closures so bring enough for few days of blister management.

Very true!
You might see a Farmacia once a week.....

Though the best approach is not to get blisters in the first place ;)
Never had any yet.
Vaseline, hikers wool, double socks etc etc.

Hello All,
Hi Major Bozo,
I have wirh me painkillers (antipyretics) and antiobiotics. Never needed more on 10.000 miles on St. Jacques trails. Don't you forget: this is Europe, not Sibiria or the Australian outback! The one shop you find in every village is a farmacy!
Ultreia
I.

Hi Major Bozo all you need is a lightweight basic first aid kit as most towns have a pharmacy where you can stock up Don't forget to have 112 in your phone for emergencies.
Basic kit can be modified to suit your needs.
Wound Care
Bandages & Dressings
2 - Butterfly Closure Fabric Adhesive Bandage
1 - Tape, 1/2" x 10 Yards
5 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
3 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
2 - Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pk/2

Cleaning & Topicals
3 - Antiseptic Wipe
1 - After Bite Wipe
(can have a small antiseptic tube)

Blister Materials
1 - Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped (14 pieces)

Instrument
3 - Safety Pins (can be used for laundry)

WEIGHT: 71g or more with medication and tablets.
Fits in small pouch size: 13.34 x 12.70 x 2.54cm

other medications as discussed by other members and personal
Don't forget to add some duct tape as that also comes in handy. Your can wrap some around your trekking poles.

GOOD LUCK AND BUEN CAMINO

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's one brand name. Hiker's Wool is another brand. I have purchased generic wool from Amazon.
In the UK, I have bought (Romney Marsh Sheep farm) pure Merino , washed, combed and carded topped fleece which is sold (relatively inexpensively) for felting and spinning. It is what is used for Hikers' / walkers' wool. Quick mail delivery. Relatively inexpensive so I have gifted to other walkers. Amazing stuff

Hi Major Bozo, Re 1st aid: I endorse sheeps/Merino washed fleece; a variety of Compeed (never leave home without them! and never let anyone tear them off before they fall off!); vaseline; moleskin although I use this less since discovering washed fleece - and that's it for me.

Retired ER Nurse Practitioner here so I likely carry more than most, especially since I tend to stay off busier routes without a lot of pharmacies. The one time I really needed things, I was five miles from the nearest town and had fallen into a pit of nettles. I immediately had an allergic reaction but it was okay because I always carry an epi pen, steroids and antihistamines. It would have been really bad if I didn’t have those with me and always assume I’ll need to care for myself. Here’s my usual first aid kit for a Camino:
Wound care: Compeed, bandaids, sheep wool, duct tape (got the nettles off skin), couple of small packets of polysporin, few steri strips and benzoin, small ace wrap (came in handy when a hiking partner dislocated his shoulder and couldn’t get it back in, wrapped it to immobilize to get to nearest road for a ride to an ER).
Medications: ZPack or Augmentin (antibiotics), Gentamycin eye drops (eye infection), Prednisone/Benadryl/Claritin/Epi Pen (allergies), Zofran (vomiting), Lomotil (diarrhea), Ibuprofen, Exedrin migraine (Tylenol + caffeine). Few tablets of each, in zip lock snack bags with stick on labels from my pharmacy if prescription. Also carry a few Nunn electrolyte tablets when it’s hot. All goes into smallest dry bag in the top of my pack. I know I’ll get slammed for “overpacking my fears” but hey, I did it for a living and I’m the one carrying it. Usually about 10 ounces and worth it to me.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Retired ER Nurse Practitioner here so I likely carry more than most, especially since I tend to stay off busier routes without a lot of pharmacies. The one time I really needed things, I was five miles from the nearest town and had fallen into a pit of nettles. I immediately had an allergic reaction but it was okay because I always carry an epi pen, steroids and antihistamines. It would have been really bad if I didn’t have those with me and always assume I’ll need to care for myself. Here’s my usual first aid kit for a Camino:
Wound care: Compeed, bandaids, sheep wool, duct tape (got the nettles off skin), couple of small packets of polysporin, few steri strips and benzoin, small ace wrap (came in handy when a hiking partner dislocated his shoulder and couldn’t get it back in, wrapped it to immobilize to get to nearest road for a ride to an ER).
Medications: ZPack or Augmentin (antibiotics), Gentamycin eye drops (eye infection), Prednisone/Benadryl/Claritin/Epi Pen (allergies), Zofran (vomiting), Lomotil (diarrhea), Ibuprofen, Exedrin migraine (Tylenol + caffeine). Few tablets of each, in zip lock snack bags with stick on labels from my pharmacy if prescription. Also carry a few Nunn electrolyte tablets when it’s hot. All goes into smallest dry bag in the top of my pack. I know I’ll get slammed for “overpacking my fears” but hey, I did it for a living and I’m the one carrying it. Usually about 10 ounces and worth it to me.
I find that normally I am giving/sharing my first aid kit stuff with others. Last trip gave away all my Tylenol, ibuprofen, immodium, cortisone cream to others in need.

I know I’ll get slammed for “overpacking my fears” but hey, I did it for a living and I’m the one carrying it.
Personally, I'd say at 10 oz it's well worth it for the peace of mind alone.
I've carried a stretchy bandage in my daypack - so, daily! since I twisted my ankle in the tube station in London - oh, about 30 years ago. I've needed it once for myself and seven different times to help out somebody else. It's wrapped wounds, stablised a large broken shard of glass, supported a broken wrist - oh, and once, just once, an ankle. I'm on number four - if it gets into an ambulance with the patient, it's gone! It's in a very small bag along with a couple of painkillers, a couple of antihistamine, and four band- aids. (Those have been replaced many many times!).
Another mini kit lives permanently in my camino pack. With my blister kit and a mini tube of Betadine.

And I'm not a nurse!

If you get cramps take some packets of yellow mustard like you might find at hamburger restaurants. They should have turmeric as an ingredient. A swallow of the mustard may alleviate the cramp within minutes. I've seen this work a number of times. Whatever is happening it doesn't involve digestion; it is too quick for that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you get cramps take some packets of yellow mustard like you might find at hamburger restaurants. They should have turmeric as an ingredient. A swallow of the mustard may alleviate the cramp within minutes. I've seen this work a number of times. Whatever is happening it doesn't involve digestion; it is too quick for that.
Was it you who linked to this article that explains how mustard (or pickle juice) can quickly alleviate cramps?

Mustard For Cramps Has Amazing Scientific Explanation

I find that normally I am giving/sharing my first aid kit stuff with others. Last trip gave away all my Tylenol, ibuprofen, immodium, cortisone cream to others in need.
My electrolyte tablets are always the first to be donated!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’d need a hot pretzel to go with that. And maybe a beer. And a football game.

Was it you who linked to this article that explains how mustard (or pickle juice) can quickly alleviate cramps?

Mustard For Cramps Has Amazing Scientific Explanation

I did. It was in post #41 in a thread about electrolytes. I quoted part of the article:

New research suggests that some muscle cramps may actually be triggered by nerve malfunction. Two neurobiologists, Nobel Prize winner, Rod MacKinnon, MD, and his colleague Bruce Bean, PhD, found that overwhelming sensory neurons in the mouth, throat and stomach with strong flavors can quickly reverse many muscle cramps. That may explain why swallowing a teaspoonful of yellow mustard (or vinegar) is so effective for so many in such a short period of time.

Their research has demonstrated that stimulating sensory neurons can interrupt the muscle contractions responsible for cramps. And yes, it frequently works in under two minutes.

Hello All,
Leaving Seville also on this 5 April so may see you there. This is my third camino and I carry a small first aid kit with Compeed plasters (avail in Spain OTC which you put on whenever your feet or toes begin to heat up or chafe to prevent blisters. Also time to change your socks. Use compeeds after having a blister to provide a cushion for skin to regenerate underneath. Besides that ibuprofen for fever - aches, charcoal tablets in case you have d nausea / ingested bad food (I avoid immodium as prefer to let the body empty itself of whatever caused the problem then fast for 18 hrs to make sure nothing is left inside me), an antihistamine like benedryl, and a small Vaseline tube for any skin chafing. Pharmacists very helpful in Spain and their public health system very well organized and staffed by really motivated and caring people should actual medical care be needed (happened on the previous Caminos to people I travelled with). Buen Camino.

Hello All,

Leaving Seville also on this 5 April so may see you there. This is my third camino and I carry a small first aid kit with Compeed plasters (avail in Spain OTC which you put on whenever your feet or toes begin to heat up or chafe to prevent blisters. Also time to change your socks. Use compeeds after having a blister to provide a cushion for skin to regenerate underneath. Besides that ibuprofen for fever - aches, charcoal tablets in case you have d nausea / ingested bad food (I avoid immodium as prefer to let the body empty itself of whatever caused the problem then fast for 18 hrs to make sure nothing is left inside me), an antihistamine like benedryl, and a small Vaseline tube for any skin chafing. Pharmacists very helpful in Spain and their public health system very well organized and staffed by really motivated and caring people should actual medical care be needed (happened on the previous Caminos to people I travelled with). Buen Camino.
Hey Ronin87,
Thanks for the info. I will arrive in Sevilla on the third. I am staying near the cathedral. I will hang out get acclimated and get ready for a few days. I’ll keep an eye out. are you really coming from Thailand? WOW! Buen Camino

Hey Ronin87,
Thanks for the info. I will arrive in Sevilla on the third. I am staying near the cathedral. I will hang out get acclimated and get ready for a few days. I’ll keep an eye out. are you really coming from Thailand? WOW! Buen Camino
Staying near the Cathedral? I recommend the Bodega Santa Cruz. It looks like it’s in the middle of a good-natured riot at weekends, but persist.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back