• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First El camino... Please help

Jeny

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk the camino starting June 31st and finishing July 17th.
Hi everyone!!

I am thinking on doing my fist El camino 2016. I will start the last week of June and finish around July 17th. I am leaving from Dallas. If I allow two days to travel there I have around 18 days. I have never been in Spain or anywhere in Europe so I need help on the airport I need to land at? From there airport where I have to go? Can I take the train, taxi, or bus if I need to?? Please help!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jeny, and welcome to the forum.
Can you give us more information?
Where would you like to begin walking?
Trains, taxis and buses are easy to catch, depending on where you are.
Do you have any plans at all yet?
There is a LOT of information on this forum, at your fingertips, if you use the search option.

Hi Jeny, and welcome to the forum.
Can you give us more information?
Where would you like to begin walking?
Trains, taxis and buses are easy to catch, depending on where you are.
Do you have any plans at all yet?
There is a LOT of information on this forum, at your fingertips, if you use the search option.

Thank you for responding Anniesantiago!! To tell you the true I have no idea where to start. I saw the movie "The Way" and inspire me to do this trip. Like I said I have never been in Europe at all!! I have been searching on how to do it and that is how I got in this forum. :) Yes I am a newbie!!! Sorry!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the forum @Jeny. Knowing that you've got 18 days to work with is helpful. No doubt you will get lots of suggestions as to where to start. Are you thinking you will walk the Camino most travelled, that is, the Camino Francés?

Planning one's Camino is most exciting, most especially the first. Have fun, and Buen Camino.

Welcome to the forum @Jeny. Knowing that you've got 18 days to work with is helpful. No doubt you will get lots of suggestions as to where to start. Are you thinking you will walk the Camino most travelled, that is, the Camino Francés?

Planning one's Camino is most exciting, most especially the first. Have fun, and Buen Camino.

Yes Icacos, El Camino Frances is what I am hearing the most so I was thinking on starting there. What is the closest airport there? Do you know?

Hi Jeny,

As you have only 18 days it is not likely that you will make it from SJPP to SdC. So do you want to start in SJPP and go as far as possible and come back at another time and finish in SdC, or do you want to start between SJPP and SdC and end up in SdC so that you can get your compostella? If you want to get to SJPP, perhaps the easiest course for you (a newbie to Europe), is to fly to London and then from London (Stanstead) fly to Biarritz. You may want to take a day in London, it is worth a visit. From Biarritz it is easy to get to SJPP and there is a lot of info on this forum on how best to do that. Alternatively if you want to start in Burgos/Leon and finish in SdC, then a flight to Santander from London followed by a bus journey (see https://www.alsa.es/en ) may be an option. Alternatively a flight to Madrid and a bus or train journey from Madrid to your starting location may be best for you. I have never used public transport from madrid airport but you can find some useful information here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187514-s301/Madrid:Spain:Arriving.And.Departing.html . There is a wealth of information on this and other forums/sites and planning the trip has its own pleasure and appeal. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Aidan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes Icacos, El Camino Frances is what I am hearing the most so I was thinking on starting there. What is the closest airport there? Do you know?
There's a website, that I can't locate at the moment, which indicates the best starting point depending on how much time one has available. If you hang in here a bit I'm sure someone will direct you to it. In the meantime, the following thread has just been resurrected, "Trains, Planes, Buses and Taxi Sharing and getting to your start point," which might be helpful. Since you are working with 18 days and you are looking at the Francés, I expect the airport to fly into would be Madrid. (I started in SJPP, and flew into Biarritz.) I gather, from following this forum, that transport from Madrid airport to the towns along the Francés, and elsewhere, is frequent and dependable. :):)

Just Curious ....Why is it that this thread does not show up in my 'Recent Posts' unless I am actually logged into the Forum, and not just viewing the forum as a guest?

There's a website, that I can't locate at the moment, which indicates the best starting point depending on how much time one has available. If you hang in here a bit I'm sure someone will direct you to it. In the meantime, the following thread has just been resurrected, "Trains, Planes, Buses and Taxi Sharing and getting to your start point," which might be helpful. Since you are working with 18 days and you are looking at the Francés, I expect the airport to fly into would be Madrid. (I started in SJPP, and flew into Biarritz.) I gather, from following this forum, that transport from Madrid airport to the towns along the Francés, and elsewhere, is frequent and dependable. :):)

Thank you so very much for your help Icacos!!! Very helpful!!! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here's a link to that forum thread
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...haring-and-getting-to-your-start-point.31037/

Hi Hi Jeny

Another useful bit of information would be how much walking you're used to doing.
The day after day after day can be a real killer. Although I was used to walking before
I started I found it very different when I had to string days together. Factor a few rest
days in.

I think the big question you need to ask and answer is, do you want to finish in Santiago ?

Buen Camino

You mean this: http://www.godesalco.com/ ?

But first of all I thi.nk it would be easier to know a lot more data about the OP to answer appropriate. She only saw the movie and that's it. She has 18 days available. Is that 18 days for walking or 18 days from a doorstep and back??? What distance can she cover daily, what are her experiences in doing this or similar kind of stuff, does she wants to sleep in albergues or hostales/hoteles etc. But OTOH there's plenty of time for clearing all this. Otherwise I already see @David and Jenny offering their medical service ;)

Maybe explaining what SJPdP, SdC etc. means would also help. I think poor Jeny is completely confused right now...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Hi Jeny

Another useful bit of information would be how much walking you're used to doing.
The day after day after day can be a real killer. Although I was used to walking before
I started I found it very different when I had to string days together. Factor a few rest
days in.

I think the big question you need to ask and answer is, do you want to finish in Santiago ?

Buen Camino
I do not walk much but I am an ultra runner (Long distance runner) 31miles is my longest run! I do walk but in these long runs but not much. I know I need to start practicing walking. I do want to finish at Santiago. Anniesantiago suggested to start at Pamplona so... I am taking her suggestion!!

I do not walk much but I am an ultra runner (Long distance runner) 31miles is my longest run! I do walk but in these long runs but not much. I know I need to start practicing walking. I do want to finish at Santiago. Anniesantiago suggested to start at Pamplona so... I am taking her suggestion!!
18 days to cover Pamplona to Santiago? Ambitious. Starting in Pamplona only shaves off 3 days of a total of 30 or so, depending on the guide and comfortable walking distance. And that's if the 18 days do not include travel to and from. Burgos mau be better as a starting point, and if extra time is left at the end then keep going to Muxia. Unfortunately I find some od the most brautiful days are before Burgos.

But first of all I thi.nk it would be easier to know a lot more data about the OP to answer appropriate. She only saw the movie and that's it. She has 18 days available. Is that 18 days for walking or 18 days from a doorstep and back??? What distance can she cover daily, what are her experiences in doing this or similar kind of stuff, does she wants to sleep in albergues or hostales/hoteles etc. But OTOH there's plenty of time for clearing all this. Otherwise I already see @David and Jenny offering their medical service ;)

Maybe explaining what SJPdP, SdC etc. means would also help. I think poor Jeny is completely confused right now...
http://www.godesalco.com is a very good site for reference too, @KinkyOne, but it is not the exact site that I have in mind. :) As to explaining what SJPP and SdC, and the like mean, well ..... we wouldn't want to deprive @Jeny of the fun of finding this out all by herself, would we? ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everyone!!

I am thinking on doing my fist El camino 2016. I will start the last week of June and finish around July 17th. I am leaving from Dallas. If I allow two days to travel there I have around 18 days. I have never been in Spain or anywhere in Europe so I need help on the airport I need to land at? From there airport where I have to go? Can I take the train, taxi, or bus if I need to?? Please help!!!

I am so jealous! :mad:

Your first Camino. I walked my first this year and it was like walking on air or in some kind of fantasy those first few days. :)

I wish my next and every future Camino could be my first :rolleyes:

You will have such a life changing and inspiring experience.

Everyone here will help you out. And if you search the forum you'll find all the answers you seek.

Just be aware that as many members of the Forum there are.............so there are opinions! All well meant of course ;)

Thankfully you have lots of planning time.

I flew in from Australia. Most people seem to suggest two main options:

Flying into Madrid and then train/bus to tour start point.
or
Flying into Paris and taking the fast train South.

I did the latter which was fun, as I was starting in St Jean.

If your time is limited. Why not start in St Jean.....and then jump ahead a few days? To fit your time schedule. Some of the early stages are really good.

Hi Jeny, welcome to the forum, first don't panic you have plaint of time just hang around you will be an expert in no time, you can arrive in Europe from many places my favorite is Toulouse, France, I take a train from the airport and in 3 hours you are in Biarritz, France, ( do a little search for something... perecote ???? its a lady that provides transportation at minimum cost based on how many people its riding to SJPDP she will drop you off right at the Albergue or almost anyway, sleep over and the next day start walking. Now that said, do your home work on backpack, clothing, etc etc. and don't forget to have fun :)

Zzotte

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
18 days to cover Pamplona to Santiago? Ambitious. Starting in Pamplona only shaves off 3 days of a total of 30 or so, depending on the guide and comfortable walking distance. And that's if the 18 days do not include travel to and from. Burgos mau be better as a starting point, and if extra time is left at the end then keep going to Muxia. Unfortunately I find some od the most brautiful days are before Burgos.

I am also taking the bus at some places to save some more time. I am may or may not have another chance to go back again!!

Hi Jeny, welcome to the forum, first don't panic you have plaint of time just hang around you will be an expert in no time, you can arrive in Europe from many places my favorite is Toulouse, France, I take a train from the airport and in 3 hours you are in Biarritz, France, ( do a little search for something... perecote ???? its a lady that provides transportation at minimum cost based on how many people its riding to SJPDP she will drop you off right at the Albergue or almost anyway, sleep over and the next day start walking. Now that said, do your home work on backpack, clothing, etc etc. and don't forget to have fun :)

Zzotte

Thank you so much zzotte I will look for perecote!! Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

You are funny...
*18 days for walking I have allowed 4 days for traveling from USA to Madrid and from Santiago to Madrid to USA.
*I have no idea what distance I can cover. I am an ultra runner an I can run 31 miles in 6/7 hrs. lol!!! I do walk some but no much. I know I have to start practicing walking soon!!
* I am staying in albergies.

You are funny...
*18 days for walking I have allowed 4 days for traveling from USA to Madrid and from Santiago to Madrid to USA.
*I have no idea what distance I can cover. I am an ultra runner an I can run 31 miles in 6/7 hrs. lol!!! I do walk some but no much. I know I have to start practicing walking soon!!
* I am staying in albergies.
Thank you, Jeny :oops:

So you have 18 days for walking and you're capable of running 50kms in 6,5hrs, which makes let's say 7kms/hr. For most regular hikers average (without rest stops) would be around 4-5kms/hr - that's day after day after day after day... walking with backpack on various terrain in various weather you can't really chose within your time constraints. So if you would like to walk as much as you can I'd suggest this equation: 8hrs of walking per day which would be between 32-40 kms (could be more of course).

But let's say you'll be able to cover 50kms/day as @vegoodrich did (search for her thread, it should be somewhere on the top of last posts) and she walked Pamplona to Santiago in 16 days. There you have it :) So actually it is possible to walk from SJPdP - SdC in 18 days I guess??? Not my comfort zone though...

Overall it's easy to calculate distance backwards from SdC with already mentioned Godesalco site. And here is another one with maps that contains intermediate distances between places with albergues:
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances

If you're really eager long distance walker I would suggest around 35kms/day tempo which should bring you from Logrono to SdC in 18 days. But you better test yourself with full backpack and the same equipment for Camino in 3 consequtive days. You'll know much more then.

Ultreia!

Here it is Jeny, Express Bourricot her name is Caroline, her email is apcaroline at hotmail dot com, I'm sure lots of forum members here have use her services before.

zzotte

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One thing with walking really fast is you won't have a "camino family". By that I mean you constantly be saying hello to new people but also goodbye. Unless you meet some slow cyclists☺

I liked having a big group I bumped into each evening when I walked from Pamplona. Walking on my own was good, but I enjoyed company in the evening. I missed that when I walked from Porto. Not many people on the road and we were doing an average of 30k so we left what few people we met behind.

Wow! So many things for you to think about.

One thing with walking really fast is you won't have a "camino family". By that I mean you constantly be saying hello to new people but also goodbye. Unless you meet some slow cyclists☺

I liked having a big group I bumped into each evening when I walked from Pamplona. Walking on my own was good, but I enjoyed company in the evening. I missed that when I walked from Porto. Not many people on the road and we were doing an average of 30k so we left what few people we met behind.

Wow! So many things for you to think about.

No looking into walking fast at all!! I am going to enjoy my time in El camino. I mentioned running because that is what I do but I am not running at all. Walk, walk, walk... slow walk. I will taking the bus in some places so I can get to Santiago in time.

Hi everyone!!

Hello Jeny,
I agree with the last post, but without more info, a few quick thoughts.
I live in New Hampshire and just returned from walking the Camino Frances. I flew from Boston to Dublin, Ireland and got an inexpensive flight with Ryanair to Biarritz.
With your time constraints, I would suggest a day or two in the beautiful city of Leon as your starting point. The last week walking through Galicia was spectacular.
I wanted a break from the albergues and stayed in an Airbnb for two nights in Santiago.
Pack light - and keep your pack to 40-45 L
Walking sticks a must! 30% load off knees and feet - two pair of shoes.
Buena Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Jeny,
I agree with the last post, but without more info, a few quick thoughts.
I live in New Hampshire and just returned from walking the Camino Frances. I flew from Boston to Dublin, Ireland and got an inexpensive flight with Ryanair to Biarritz.
With your time constraints, I would suggest a day or two in the beautiful city of Leon as your starting point. The last week walking through Galicia was spectacular.
I wanted a break from the albergues and stayed in an Airbnb for two nights in Santiago.
Pack light - and keep your pack to 40-45 L
Walking sticks a must! 30% load off knees and feet - two pair of shoes.
Buena Camino
Sorry, forgot to add... Easy connection via train/bus to St. Jean from Biarritz. And the direct flight from Dublin to Biarrtz, France was just over 3 hours.

Lots of advice for you to pick and chose from. To get the most from the Camino I believe it important to relieve yourself of any time pressures and plan to cover a shorter distance and enjoy the fellowship of the way, making new and unexpected friends as you go. I would consider doing it in two stages and plan to stay in Santiago for a couple of nights at the end. In the film they didn't hurry and the friendship evolved naturally and that's how it really is. It's the journey not the arriving, the sharing and fellowship. If you rush it you I believe will miss out on so much Best wishes with your planning

Hi everyone!!

I'm from Dallas, Texas and I did my first Camino from St. Jean Pied du Port, France to Burgos in Sept/Oct 2015. I too had right at 18 days to plan with, but travel from the U.S. requires a couple of days on the front end. I flew on American Airlines miles to London where I had a change in airports and an overnight connection to Bordeaux France. I then took the train the rest of the way. I walk and backpack regularly but built in rest days in Pamplona and Logrono. It was a good decision in that it allowed me time to explore the cities, take in the culture, visit the sites, and to also nurse the huge blisters on my heels which had never happened before in all my years of hiking. After stopping in Burgos, I took a 90 minute bus ride to Bilbao and flew home to Dallas the next day .I know that some people skip the meseta portion of the Camino so that may help with your time allowed. My advice is to take your time and enjoy the camino unrushed. You will meet so many great people from all over the world. Buen camino. daniel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This fall I had a flawless connection from Boston to Dublin.
I then had a cheap and direct flight from Dublin to Biarritz. Not sure why people are missing the Boston/Dublin connection over London or Madrid. 18 Euro from airport to St. Jean with an express bus! Take it and avoid the "long" route taking almost three hours.
BC

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back