• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First night stay in Porto ?

Olafur

Hello fellow pilgrims :) .... I will arrive in Porto late in the evening on may 6th and will need a place to stay ... can anyone advice me about a cost effective hostel not far from where the credentials are handed out ? and also can anyone tell me where I can get the credentials for the Camino portugese ? ... is that in the cathedral ? .... and if so, can someone tell me when it is open ?

I am a bit lost as I decided just today with 3 days notice to do the Portugese camino from Porto... I have done st.jean to Finisterre in 2009 which was a fantastic adventure ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are starting from Porto in September and have booked at the Hostel Dixo: http://www.dixosoportohostel.com/ which is not far from the Cathedral. There are many hostels in Porto including the Poet's Hostel and the Cinema Hostel which have had good reviews.

It is my understanding that you can get a credential from the the Cathedral but that opening times are erratic. We are obtaining ours from the American Pilgrim Association to avoid having to panic about that before we begin. We will be going to the Anglican Church, St. James', in Porto for worship and blessing before we leave--I forgot to ask if they have a sello.

I walked from SJPP to Finisterre in Sep/Oct 2009 so if you walked then, our paths may have crossed.

Hi Portia1 and thank you for the info ! :)

Good thing is that I have no time pressure as I will be staying in Spain to end of may so I might take an extra day in Porto and get the credentials.

I was on camino frances march 15th and home april 26th in 2009 and you guys in september.... looks like holiday for us is on each side of the summer ;) but still we are doing the camino in similar way, first st.jean and now Portugese.... I am looking forward to the walk, not in the best shape but will just take it slowly in the beginning and if i get into form i will do some extra walk before i go home again :) ...

Buen camino :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Ola

You can use the youth hostel in Porto. Its a bus ride there from the centre. You can find the details on the Camino Portugues thread.

Bom caminho

The youth hostel looks like a good place to stay and many of the Hostels in the center near the cathedral are already booked for friday, so thanks Caminando I will also check them out.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back