• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hostels in Porto

Badgerbag

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués abril 2024
Hi everyone,

I’m new to this site and about to undertake my first Camino.

Can anyone recommend any hostels in Porto that admit pilgrims later in the evening. My plane doesn’t land until 21:05, so I guess by the time I’ve cleared the airport and got into town it’s going to be 22:00. I’ve been firing off emails all day to hostels listed on Wise Pilgrim, with so far, with either negative replies, or more commonly no response at all. Regards Tim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed at House of Sandeman. Loved it. Lively and quiet at the same time. Just by the river.
To clarify, they have both a high-end hotel as well as a pilgrim hostel. It’s only the latter where you get a bunk that looks like a modern wine bottle storage rack! Definitely unique

To clarify, they have both a high-end hotel as well as a pilgrim hostel. It’s only the latter where you get a bunk that looks like a modern wine bottle storage rack! Definitely unique
That looks a real hoot, I’ll get onto them tomorrow. Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Tim
12 days ago I stayed at
https://www.gronze.com/portugal/oporto/porto/albergue-peregrinos-do-porto
I'm surprised if you didn't get a reply to your email. Miguel is the hospitalero who is very helpful and interested in the camino, particularly in Porto - and we talked a bit about the St James Anglican church, about 15 minutes walk away, and why it is hidden behind a high wall...
When I stayed, there were a couple of volunteers living in, and they weren't observing a strict 10pm curfew. I'd say that forewarned they'd be happy to let in someone who has prebooked, up to midnight.
Miguel operates quite relaxed eligibility rules, so for instance a friend was able to stay 2 nights before starting their camino. And I was able to stay there on my way back from Santiago, though no longer walking.
The albergue has quite a strict policy aimed at bed bug prevention, where you leave your pack and belongings in a locker in the hall, and then carry only your essentials to the dormitory. It also negates packing noise in the dorm. I was impressed.
The albergue is well located for the Metro and airport, being 3 minutes walk from the Carolina Michaelis stop, which has a direct train running on Line E to/from the airport.
There's plenty of good food places 10-15 minutes' walk away. Including a Taiwanese street food and bubble tea place (Bao's) that hit the spot for me.

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend any hostels in Porto that admit pilgrims later in the evening. My plane doesn’t land until 21:05, so I guess by the time I’ve cleared the airport and got into town it’s going to be 22:00. I’ve been firing off emails all day to hostels listed on Wise Pilgrim, with so far, with either negative replies, or more commonly no response at all. Regards Tim

Hi everyone,

Hi Tim, I recommend Rivoli Cinema Hostel. They have very good location and are well connected with the airport. The price includes the breakfast. If you decide to stay in this hostel, I suggest you book the bed using their website not Booking.com.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Tim
12 days ago I stayed at
https://www.gronze.com/portugal/oporto/porto/albergue-peregrinos-do-porto
I'm surprised if you didn't get a reply to your email. Miguel is the hospitalero who is very helpful and interested in the camino, particularly in Porto - and we talked a bit about the St James Anglican church, about 15 minutes walk away, and why it is hidden behind a high wall...
When I stayed, there were a couple of volunteers living in, and they weren't observing a strict 10pm curfew. I'd say that forewarned they'd be happy to let in someone who has prebooked, up to midnight.
Miguel operates quite relaxed eligibility rules, so for instance a friend was able to stay 2 nights before starting their camino. And I was able to stay there on my way back from Santiago, though no longer walking.
The albergue has quite a strict policy aimed at bed bug prevention, where you leave your pack and belongings in a locker in the hall, and then carry only your essentials to the dormitory. It also negates packing noise in the dorm. I was impressed.
The albergue is well located for the Metro and airport, being 3 minutes walk from the Carolina Michaelis stop, which has a direct train running on Line E to/from the airport.
There's plenty of good food places 10-15 minutes' walk away. Including a Taiwanese street food and bubble tea place (Bao's) that hit the spot for me.
This albergue will not be open when Tim arrives there.

Hi everyone,

Albergue de Pilgrims Porto. Great place. Ask for Miguel, Bernardo, or Oleana.

This albergue will not be open when Tim arrives there.
Hi Terenia, although the website says it is only open for registrations until 8pm, my sense (from staying there recently) is that it is worth sending an email requesting late arrival. I think that it is quite likely that Miguel would be willing to make an exception to the rule, after finding out the particular circumstances in an email conversation.
cheers, tom

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I agree with Peregrino Tom and believe it is very likely Miguel will allow a late arrival with prior arrangement. Oleana is who you will most likely deal with, she is very helpful. They allowed my wife and I an extra night to get organized for our camino start and seemed truly disappointed we didn't book with them on our return. I have friends who regularly volunteer there and speak of it in highest terms. As noted this is a pilgrims albergue, not a hostel.
Good luck

Hi Terenia, although the website says it is only open for registrations until 8pm, my sense (from staying there recently) is that it is worth sending an email requesting late arrival. I think that it is quite likely that Miguel would be willing to make an exception to the rule, after finding out the particular circumstances in an email conversation.
cheers, tom
Hi Tom, Terenia, Curiously this was the only one that did reply! Telling me that late arrivals were not permitted “in order not to disturb sleeping pilgrims” oh well, maybe next time. I’ve gone with the first suggestion and booked a night at the Sandeman place. Cheers!

I stayed in HI Porto – Pousada de Juventude. they have 24 hours reception. I stayed in 4 bed room and shared with one nice girl. We were told nobody would be coming,,,but! in the middle of the night, a woman got in, got us wake up, then settled in a bed and snored the rest of night! well you could go there late at night.
It was a very nice hostel with good breakfast and it's en route of Senda litoral..4 km ahead of the day 1

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,

Last year we stayed 2 days at the Port Wine Hostal in Porto after coming down from Santiago by bus. Not an albergue that was set up for Pilgrims, but was a nice place. Was 4 bunk beds in our room and a bath with shower.

I stayed in Youropo - the Tower. You get a code and can come and go as you please. More expensive than an albergue, but not too bad, and a perfect location for sightseeing, food, and shopping, etc. Very private and nice place for the money. Buen Camino!

How long are you in Porto? I arrived late and stayed in the hotel directly across from the airport. The following day I caught the train into Porto and stayed at The Sandeman for 2 nights, it’s excellent and I highly recommend it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed in Gallery Hostel before doing central route last year. Excellent location. Just a few minutes walk to the Camino. Very comfortable accommodation and great breakfast. I spent a few days back there after Camino and also a few days at House of Sandeman which I also loved.

A year ago I stayed at the Lost Inn Hostel. I thought because it was literally at the base of the cathedral that there would be other pilgrims but it was definitely a youth hostel. Regardless everyone was really nice to me. They do have private rooms and I should have done that. The location can’t be beat though. The stairs to the cathedral are 10 feet away from the front door and I was determined to start my Camino at the cathedral. And they made some damn good sangria that was free.

Booking lists most of the private hostels discussed here — even if you prefer to book using other methods, it’s great for reference. Porto is FULL of hostels with varying price points. Gallery Hostel is great, as is Porto Spot Hostel. I think they both have their own websites.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just booked this for my first night - May 7th. Thank you! How far is it from the Cathedral, if you recall?

Not far - Google says 15 minutes walk. But I remember the hill up to the Cathedral being steep 🙃 But everything close to the river would give you a steep walk to the Cathedral.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back