• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Night Stay

Time of past OR future Camino
Full CF 2014.
Planning Portuguese for June/July 2016
Start our Ingles on Sept 28th 2017...:-)
We intend to arrive mid morning on a thursday and want to go straight into Porto to begin at the Cathedral! We'd then like to walk out to the coast and walk on for what will be left of the day. We've heard of a new Albergue at San Tiago De Labruge. Does anyone know of any other accommodation just in case this is full or we can go a little further but maybe not reach Vila de Conde?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked the camino Portuguese three times on different routes. If you have any questions you could specify them and maybe I have an answer. I walked twice on the coastal and once on the interior (the first stages on the coastal then also). I love the camino in Portugal! So many Roads To Walk! I walk twice from Porto and once from Lissabon. I love the Lissabon Way!

Last year we walked to Matosinhos (about 10 km) on our first day. A nice walk along the river and up the coast.
No alburgue there so we stayed in a hotel.
Jacki.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked the camino Portuguese three times on different routes. If you have any questions you could specify them and maybe I have an answer. I walked twice on the coastal and once on the interior (the first stages on the coastal then also). I love the camino in Portugal! So many Roads To Walk! I walk twice from Porto and once from Lissabon. I love the Lissabon Way!

Annie :), Many thanks... just looking for places on that first day. We think we could easy make it to Matosinhos given the time to get into the Cathedral off the plane etc..and then set out! BUT! could we get a little further, closer to Vila de Conte? I now find that there is a new Albergue in Labruge, so that is where we hope to get to, Day 1!! :) ...God willing...

Annie :), Many thanks... just looking for places on that first day. We think we could easy make it to Matosinhos given the time to get into the Cathedral off the plane etc..and then set out! BUT! could we get a little further, closer to Vila de Conte? I now find that there is a new Albergue in Labruge, so that is where we hope to get to, Day 1!! :) ...God willing...

There are hostales along the coast line but depending on when you go you might have to reserve in advance. The beaches north of Porto are great and high season crowded. Low season is perfect! I walked along the coast line ALONE - no other pilgrims at all.

I walked from Porto in May 2014 and in June 2015, both considered as a low season.

You can also (as I did once!) walk where ever you want to and then take a bus/ commuter train back to Porto and stay at the same hostel/ hotel a couple of nights. And you don´t have to carry your gear if you don´t want to!

I stayed at the Tattva Design hostel about 200 meters from the cathedral.

I have also stayed at the Hotel Porto Mar in Matosinhos - a great place with an ancient touch.

There are some great albergues in porto nowadays also if you prefer that!

We intend to arrive mid morning on a thursday and want to go straight into Porto to begin at the Cathedral! We'd then like to walk out to the coast and walk on for what will be left of the day. We've heard of a new Albergue at San Tiago De Labruge. Does anyone know of any other accommodation just in case this is full or we can go a little further but maybe not reach Vila de Conde?

No website for this pension but a phone number. Called Cafe Tony aka Residencial Sandra. Fellowpilgrim in 2015 was very positive about it. It is in Vila Cha.
tel. 229 283 634 or 917 487 51.

Quote from member micbook in 2012
"
Highly recommend Vila Cha as an overnight stop, if you are taking the alternative route. There's a pension, Residencial Sandra, so you'll pay more than an albergue, but it was so well worth it. Lovely fishermen village with a potential of becoming a fantastic pilgrims town. I got a private room with private porch, with a view to the ocean, and it was the best 30 euros I spent in a long time...not to mention having a hot tub for my feet :). Great beaches, multiple cafes, kind people, and charming fishermen scene."

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Andrew James Doyle

The first day from Porto - you could walk to
1) Casa Velha
Rua de Almeiriga Norte 2510, 4455-417 Matosinhos, Portugal
Google Casa Velha, Matosinhos and make your reservation.

Or you could walk to Lavra and take a bus back to downtown Porto as I did.
The next morning I took the commuter train to a nearby station and continued my walk northwards,

There are MANY different options when walking in Portugal.

No website for this pension but a phone number. Called Cafe Tony aka Residencial Sandra. Fellowpilgrim in 2015 was very positive about it. It is in Vila Cha.
tel. 229 283 634 or 917 487 51.

Quote from member micbook in 2012
"
Highly recommend Vila Cha as an overnight stop, if you are taking the alternative route. There's a pension, Residencial Sandra, so you'll pay more than an albergue, but it was so well worth it. Lovely fishermen village with a potential of becoming a fantastic pilgrims town. I got a private room with private porch, with a view to the ocean, and it was the best 30 euros I spent in a long time...not to mention having a hot tub for my feet :). Great beaches, multiple cafes, kind people, and charming fishermen scene."
I'll add this to our list of alternatives... many Thanks...

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back