• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Pilgrimage

deirdre.macleod

My husband and I are planing on walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela for the first time this summer. We have 2 week in July or Augusts and would love advice on the best time to go, best route, what to bring, ect. WE are complete newbies so we need all the advice we can get.
D. :?:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino Frances is best suited for a first walk, but it will be busy in July and August. In two weeks you can go from Leon to Santiago. A bit shorter is Astorga to Santiago. Just 112 km is Sarria to Santiago.

The infrastructure and assistance on the Camino Frances is better established than the other less-traveled routes. If you are comfortable in Spanish and don't need fellow pilgrims for assistance, Oviedo to Santiago would be quieter until you get to the last 100 km.

Buen camino!

deirdre.macleod said:
My husband and I are planing on walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela for the first time this summer. We have 2 week in July or Augusts and would love advice on the best time to go, best route, what to bring, ect. WE are complete newbies so we need all the advice we can get.
D. :?:

Deirdre,

Welcome to the Forum!

Whichever route you decide to follow in July or August it will be HOT. Be sure to drink lots of water even if you don't feel thirsty. Other musts for walking in the heat include a broad brimmed hat and lots of sunblock. Many summer pilgrims begin walking very early each morning in order to avoid the mid-day heat.

Be sure to check the various threads on the Forum concerning alternate routes, equipment, etc. Each thread is packed with first-hand advice by fellow pilgrims.

Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Thus, walk slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined.

Whenever you go I wish you both Buen Camino!

Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I second the advice about staying hydrated and sun protected. I would also suggest taking small packets of Gatorade to replace the electrolytes and salt your body will lose as you walk. Listen to your bodies, take care of each other and Buen Camino!

WanderingChristian

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk 2

Hi.

I'm not a newbie, but I sure act like one sometimes! My advice is to remember to put sunscreen on the tops of your ears, or better yet, wear a hat with a big brim that shields them. I burned my ear tops while on the Camino in March! It was a rare, warm day, and I'd been used to temps in the 40s back home, so I totally forgot to pack sunscreen. Plus I had a hat on, and wasn't thinking about my ears at all.

Last week -- only a year later -- while walking on the new Wales Coast Path, I did it again! We had sunscreen this time, but I hadn't brought my floppy hat because the forecast had called for rain every day, so I had a waterproof ball cap instead. Well, the sun came out and burned my ear tops again. It's exceptionally painful, and I vow never to do that again! (And to help others avoid this.) :)

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.