• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FIRST TIME - 21 Year Old Girl Canadian

GeorgiaT

Hey,
My Name is Georgia, I live in Ontario Canada. I want to walk this walk more then anything, my Mother took me to see the movie the "The Way" in this old run down theatre I have never been to before, before we even went the idea of the movie had me jumping out of my seat in excitement. I guess the atmosphere of this unfamiliar theatre and the message of the movie and the idea of leaving everything behind and walking solo into whole different world left me speechless.

I have no idea why I need to do this BUT I am GOING TOO! I want to leave or I am leaving as soon as possible anytime after March 10th, I am hoping the 12th its a Monday. My dad doesn't want me to go alone but I feel that I need too, but my mom desperately wants to join, I feel resentment for not wanting to go with her; but in the end it would be nice to do it together.

I know I am writing a lot, but I feel if you could see where I am coming from I could get more help and advice. I have never really traveled much in my life, and for me to do something independently is my biggest challenge and fear.

First off: Could anyone help me with the best route to get to St. Jean Pied do Port - I want to do the full experience of 780 km. I have read about the different routes I would love to do the Northern costal route or the French Route that is most popular. Has anyone done them both or know which one is more worthwhile?

Also any tips on which airport and flighhts or busses and trains to get to my starting point is the best!

Second off: Any tips on the best way to get my Pilgrims Passport!?

Also ANY tips or advice would be so GREATLY appreciated, as you can see I am very nervous but extremely excited too!

Thankyou,
Georgia Tusch!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Georgia...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

Yes, the movie "The Way" has inspired many North Americans to walk the Camino and you're just the edge of the wave.

You have a lot of questions:

Here is the address for the Canadian pilgrim group…they are well organized and can help in your location, to include travel routes to and from Santiago:

http://www.santiago.ca/

Although they have a credencial, all their own; you can obtain a free credencial here:

http://peterbros-pilgrimcredentials.blogspot.com/

The folks here on the Forum will soon begin to fill your Camino bucket with information and sage advice. Let your folks in on the conversation, it will go along way toward easing their concerns. Though, as a Dad…I know I’m a tough nut to crack when it comes to my girl.

That's a start...now, begin planning and,

Buen Camino

Arn

Welcome Georgia, Wow wish I could have said @ 21 I'd be embarking on the Way;
cannot help with your Canadian side of things;
but will say that as you find out more on this forum:
'LESS IS MORE'
& it's funny really cause you learn lots then have to leave most of it behind & go.
The film, well I have not seen it & hopefully wont until April on my return.
with things like they wore jeans, well I'm pleased I'm going to wait.

hope you have your parents on your side soon, so much so they'll let you go on your own, when you are ready to leave. Mind you leaving in less than 3 months is pretty quick :),

& if you do go in march your path may cross with ours, we leave Astorga 1st April.
We'll be the pair with Pacerpoles going slowly :lol:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would recommend the Camino Frances for the month of March. I have also walked the northern route but I think in March the route from St. Jean would have better options for accomodation also to meet other pilgrims. I walked in March a few years ago and if I wanted to walk on my own I could but I could also walk with others. I generally preferred walking alone but from day one met a lovely group of friends and we would all plan to meet at a certain albergue that afternoon. I would guess from Toronto you would likely fly to either paris or madrid. If you go through madrid, look into an add on ticket to pamplona.

Hi Georgia, and welcome.

You're much more decisive than I ever was! I first heard about the Camino when I was 20, but it took me another 20 years to do it!

Ideally you'd fly into Biarritz in France (probably via Paris) and home from Santiago (via Madrid). Both airports are small so you won't be able to fly directly from Canada. As the flights will be your biggest single expense you might have to compromise to get a good deal, for example by flying to and from Madrid and getting the train or bus to/from the Camino.

As Arn says you can get your Pilgrim Passport before you leave home, but you can also just get one when you arrive from the Pilgrim Office in St Jean PP.

Have fun picking up tips from this forum. We all have different ideas for avoiding blisters etc, but the basics are always the same - pack light, good boots and rucksack, start slowly, enjoy! :D

Buen Camino!

Edit: p.s. If your Mum really wants to be involved you could always meet her in Sarria and walk the last 100kms together. You'll be a Camino veteran by then, so you might have to hold her hand a bit! :wink:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm from TO and alas, no longer 21 but can tell you what I've learned so far and what I plan to do in late March. Flight to Paris leaving at around 20 hours and then once in Paris, a train to Bayonne. It's around 9 hours. And from there by bus to St. Jean. A hotel in Bayonne is possible or else in St. Jean. Connections shouldn't be bad in that one arrives in Paris at around 9:30. in the morning. (Check for exact times.) And so one should be able to make a train connection from a nearby station close to Charles de Gaulle airport. Direct flights to Paris are numerous so once can delay making a reservation until you're (and your parents) 100% certain of your plans.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Georgia. When we walked this last year, we met up with a fantastic group of young people - in the 20 to 30 yrs old group (we are in the 70's group). Notwithstanding the enormous age difference, a great friendship was formed. The most impressive of this group was Carolin from Germany - aged 18. She is the most self sufficient, logical and mature girl I have ever met for her age. I keep in contact with her and would love to compliment her parents on the trust that they gave her to do this Camino "alone". Actually you are never alone (unless you want to be so). Two other girls in the group Jessica and Alison both from London, plus Giorgio and Nicola from Italy made up this great group. We also met up with a mother and daughter team, plus an Irish father and son. Buen Camino! Anne

Hi Georgia,

Your story reminds me of what I went through prior to walking the Camino in September 2010.

I had heard about the Camino and always had an interest in one day walking it too, until one day I was on the Internet and I came across an article that spoke more in detail about the journey to Santiago. Instantly I become obsessed with it and decided at that moment that I had to do it and I was going to do it as soon as I could. I started reading all could about and ordered to guide to start planning my trip.

My parents had the same reaction that yours did :(

My father called my insane and irresponsible and couldn't understand why I wanted to walk 800+ km across Spain.
My mother, although somewhat supportive did her best to talk me out of it. She said it was dangerous, that I was crazy and that I would just be punishing myself for no reason.
My friends always knew that I was different, but even they didn't understand why I was so determined to do this - and by MYSELF!!
MY sister was the only person who supported me :)

So booked my flight, packed my bags and off I went.
As scared as I was at the time, looking back now it was the single best decision of my life. The Camino changed me as a person and taught me more about myself than I ever knew. As much as your mother would like to join you, I truly believe you should go on your own and experience it for yourself. Like you said, you will meet other people and you will never really be alone.

The stories, pictures and friendships that I returned with are priceless and all those people who didn't understand why I was so hell bent on walking the Camino back in 2010 are now the same ones who ask me how they can get started on their own today. Since returning my friend has walked the last 100 km and my neighbour walked from St. Jean - both changed people today.

Forget about about other people tell you and just GO!!
You won't regret it and you might find yourself wanting to do it again a few years later like I am right now.

Buen Camino

Hello Georgia,

I’m from Winnipeg and I walked in 2008 during April and May. I was also excited and terrified as it was my first major trip and I was undertaking without my wife. On top of that, flying terrifies me. :)

In Canada you can get your pilgrim's passport (credential) here: http://www.santiago.ca/membership.html

As for traveling, I flew into Paris and then took a short flight to Biarritz. From there I took the train to St. Jean. It worked well, but I arrived very tired.

You may want to consider flying to Paris and then taking the train from Paris (there is a train station at the airport) to St. Jean. It would allow you some more rest and decompression time. However, you may need to switch trains one or twice along the way. You can find some additional information in this topic.

When you get to St. Jean you may want to consider staying at L’Esprit du Chemin, if there is room. You need to pre-book, but I found the atmosphere wonderful and it was a great way to start my Camino. There is a wonderful communal dinner and if you pay a little bit extra you receive a packed lunch when you leave in the morning. It is also right across from the Pilgrim's Office in St. Jean, which is very convenient. If nothing else, please be sure to check with the Pilgrim's Office regarding the weather before you set out.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Georgia

I'm starting the week before you from St.Jean - but you may pass us - I'm walking with my 11 year old daughter and we intend to take our time, so if you see us say hello :D

Busybee

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back