Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time alone, departing from Lugo, family against it

Lineas

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2012)
Planning to do the Camino Primitivo this year at the beggining of August, but since I would be travelling alone with a time limit (for that reason the departure must be done in Lugo, the plan is doing 5 stages) I believe I will have problems in convincing my family to let me go without feelling too scared.

Obviously, there is no wish to put myself in a risky situation or to cause any hearthaches to anyone, so I have read the general issues that might happen on the way, but are there any special advices related to this Camino? Is it acceptable for a 26 year old woman that is used to walking at least 5km a day (although not hiking?) with a 13lb backpack?

Many Thanks for any experience you might share

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've never done the Primitivo but I suspect that personal safety is the same anywhere.
You just need to be aware of your surroundings at all times, I guess it's like a sixth sense, you'll know if you are heading into danger.
Like any camino it's good to walk alone, but it's also good to know that other pilgrims are around somewhere in the vicinity.
Have a wonderful journey.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The section of the Primitivo after Lugo is very straightforward walking. All the steep hill sections and difficult walking surfaces are well behind you by then. From that perspective you should have no concerns. There will be far fewer walkers than on the Camino Frances but you are unlikely to be alone for long. If you are anxious for any reason it should be possible to walk with others or at least near enough to give reassurance. After the Primitivo merges with the Frances at Melide you will find an almost constant flow of pilgrims - quite a shock after the comparative solitude of the Primitivo. You may find comfort in "safety in numbers" there.

There are many discussions on this topic at the Personal Safety section of this forum.

I did look at some of that (and will follow that guide to my best capabilites if, when the time comes, I manage to persuade my family), but I was looking for specific problems that might emerge on this camino, since it is not listed as one of the main (although it was the first!).

The section of the Primitivo after Lugo is very straightforward walking. All the steep hill sections and difficult walking surfaces are well behind you by then. From that perspective you should have no concerns. There will be far fewer walkers than on the Camino Frances but you are unlikely to be alone for long. If you are anxious for any reason it should be possible to walk with others or at least near enough to give reassurance. After the Primitivo merges with the Frances at Melide you will find an almost constant flow of pilgrims - quite a shock after the comparative solitude of the Primitivo. You may find comfort in "safety in numbers" there.

Thanks, that straightforward walking really eases my mind :)

The Primitivo is one of the more difficult caminos. If this is your first time walking long distances, you may want to choose a route that is more widely traveled and less difficult.:)

Even if i'm just starting at Lugo? I am coming from Madrid from bus and it seemed easier to get to Lugo than to Sierra from there. To be honest, I really wanted to do the Primitivo to have at least a one stop with a more peaceful camino before Melide. At least if peaceful is different from hard to find directions or a higher risk to be robbed.

Thanks for all your kind answers :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you take the Alsa bus at 8 in Madrid you arrive in Lugo at 14:35 and you can do the first stage Lugo- San Román (19,6 kms) this day because you have day light till 22h, but you will not see any pilgrim on the route.
You'll see a few locals walking and cars on the road near. There are most time houses near.
As a general rule on the Primitivo if you want to walk near other pilgrims you must stay in albergues and get up early with the rest of pilgrims.

From Lugo onwards, the Primitivo is the Primitivo in name only: relatively flat, through a fairly densly inhabited area until Melide, and then mayhem after joining with the Frances. Physical challenge is nothing out of the ordinary, compares to Sarria to Santiago or Tui to Santiago on the Portuguese. Easy peasy. No, it is not "one of the most difficult caminos", no you don't need to find a "more widely travelled route and less difficult". I. Fact you would be hard pressed to find easier and when ot comes to more travelled as well, especially after hitting Melide. Really.

You will meet lots of people your age, as well as younger and older ones.

As for " specific problems", can you give us an idea of what you have in mind so we can answer your questio with more precisions? I cannot think aboit anything particular about this stretch I would caution anyone against. No long stretches withough food or water, no huge climbs or descents one could tumble down.

The only part where I scratched my head was leaving Lugo. Ypu cross the plaza, walk by the cathedral, walk out of the walls. At the river, after crossing, signa were iffy when I walked. It was not clear if you had to walk straight and up, wchich I did, or follow the river to your right, which others did. Turns out both come together later, so nothing to worry about. Also, as I was leaving on a Sunday all bars (which arw not discos but coffee and eating places) were closed in the morning, should have picked up some thing to eat for breafast the evening before.

The Cathedral in Lugo is very important to catholics and there are ladies there who volunteer to give people a tour of the cathedral. Well worth it, and a beautiful stamp for your credencial at the start of your camino. This cathedral is important because it is one of the very few (3-4?) churches in the world allowed to display the host on a continuius basis, and it has done so for hundrds of years. On of its side chaples is also by the same man who designed the current Santiago cathedral facade.

The muni albergue down town is very large, so you will meet many people. If you are unsure on day one, want someone to walk with you out of town, lots of people you can ask for company.

These were my etapas after Lugo:

1- Lugo to San Roman: 20km. Stayed at O Candido, a wonderful "helpt yourself to anything in the fridge, we'll settle the bill later" albergue.

2- To As Seixa: 14km. A lovely old stone barn restored by a young local architect. Good restaurant 200 meters away for dinner.

3- To Melide: 14.5km. A shock for me, as kt is with so many coming from days of walking a quiet Camino. Packed with people with backpacks. Do no miss visiting the tiny church of Santa Maria (I think), on your right along the Camino as you leave town. Ask for a tour and explanation of its decorations. It is a gem.

4+: follow the heard into Santiago.

This is a website I like to use:

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From Lugo onwards, the Primitivo is the Primitivo in name only: relatively flat, through a fairly densly inhabited area until Melide, and then mayhem after joining with the Frances. Physical challenge is nothing out of the ordinary, compares to Sarria to Santiago or Tui to Santiago on the Portuguese. Easy peasy. No, it is not "one of the most difficult caminos", no you don't need to find a "more widely travelled route and less difficult". I. Fact you would be hard pressed to find easier and when ot comes to more travelled as well, especially after hitting Melide. Really.

You will meet lots of people your age, as well as younger and older ones.

As for " specific problems", can you give us an idea of what you have in mind so we can answer your questio with more precisions? I cannot think aboit anything particular about this stretch I would caution anyone against. No long stretches withough food or water, no huge climbs or descents one could tumble down.

The only part where I scratched my head was leaving Lugo. Ypu cross the plaza, walk by the cathedral, walk out of the walls. At the river, after crossing, signa were iffy when I walked. It was not clear if you had to walk straight and up, wchich I did, or follow the river to your right, which others did. Turns out both come together later, so nothing to worry about. Also, as I was leaving on a Sunday all bars (which arw not discos but coffee and eating places) were closed in the morning, should have picked up some thing to eat for breafast the evening before.

The Cathedral in Lugo is very important to catholics and there are ladies there who volunteer to give people a tour of the cathedral. Well worth it, and a beautiful stamp for your credencial at the start of your camino. This cathedral is important because it is one of the very few (3-4?) churches in the world allowed to display the host on a continuius basis, and it has done so for hundrds of years. On of its side chaples is also by the same man who designed the current Santiago cathedral facade.

The muni albergue down town is very large, so you will meet many people. If you are unsure on day one, want someone to walk with you out of town, lots of people you can ask for company.

These were my etapas after Lugo:

1- Lugo to San Roman: 20km. Stayed at O Candido, a wonderful "helpt yourself to anything in the fridge, we'll settle the bill later" albergue.

2- To As Seixa: 14km. A lovely old stone barn restored by a young local architect. Good restaurant 200 meters away for dinner.

3- To Melide: 14.5km. A shock for me, as kt is with so many coming from days of walking a quiet Camino. Packed with people with backpacks. Do no miss visiting the tiny church of Santa Maria (I think), on your right along the Camino as you leave town. Ask for a tour and explanation of its decorations. It is a gem.

4+: follow the heard into Santiago.

This is a website I like to use:

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/

Your description was wonderful, thank you honestly. That issue you described leaving Lugo and the "Easy peasy" are more or less what I was looking for. I am looking for if an more experienced pilgrim allows me to see a reasonable motive that would dissuade me on this way, something that is missing me in the excitment of preparing to start. I went once on the Portuguese Camino, but I was guided by friends who were much more experienced, so everything went smoothly, even if I wasn't thinking about anything, a very beautiful experience but I still think it was kind of child like. So now I want to find all the questions, so that I can depart with confidence on how to act in face of all absurdities, even the ones I can't predict.

I think she is saying that she is already a regular walker, not fresh off the couch, like me. :cool:

Yes I meant that I am regular walker! I mean, I might get lost once in a while, but for now I have a good resistance and I fairly resourceful when dealing with problems. Sorry for being confusing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lineas,
What do you mean that your family is against it? Are you married with young children and your husband doesn't want to be left behind? Or are you still living at home with parents who are scared to let you go?
If it's the latter, then it might be very empowering for you. Either way, gentle discussion will help.

Planning to do the Camino Primitivo this year at the beggining of August, but since I would be travelling alone with a time limit (for that reason the departure must be done in Lugo, the plan is doing 5 stages) I believe I will have problems in convincing my family to let me go without feelling too scared.

Obviously, there is no wish to put myself in a risky situation or to cause any hearthaches to anyone, so I have read the general issues that might happen on the way, but are there any special advices related to this Camino? Is it acceptable for a 26 year old woman that is used to walking at least 5km a day (although not hiking?) with a 13lb backpack?

If a 73 year old man can do it,a youngster like you should have no problem. My wife has misgivings about me going,but of course I am going. I would suggest that you do some training,but since the route from Lugo is easier,you should have no problems. Half of all pilgrims are women,,who have much less trouble than at home. Good luck!

Lineas,
What do you mean that your family is against it? Are you married with young children and your husband doesn't want to be left behind? Or are you still living at home with parents who are scared to let you go?
If it's the latter, then it might be very empowering for you. Either way, gentle discussion will help.

Still living with my parents, no young children involved. I believe the same, but as much as possible I would like that my empowering experience not to create discussions or sleepless nights to any of my parents.

If a 73 year old man can do it,a youngster like you should have no problem. My wife has misgivings about me going,but of course I am going. I would suggest that you do some training,but since the route from Lugo is easier,you should have no problems. Half of all pilgrims are women,,who have much less trouble than at home. Good luck!

If you take the Alsa bus at 8 in Madrid you arrive in Lugo at 14:35 and you can do the first stage Lugo- San Román (19,6 kms) this day because you have day light till 22h, but you will not see any pilgrim on the route.
You'll see a few locals walking and cars on the road near. There are most time houses near.
As a general rule on the Primitivo if you want to walk near other pilgrims you must stay in albergues and get up early with the rest of pilgrims.

I was thinking of going in that Alsa bus, but travelling by night and arriving at 7, or so, and start my walk then. Considering that you seem to be from Madrid, would you advise me against it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Lineas
If you are going to walk this in 5 stages, presumably you've looked at the possible stage lengths? As I see it the first day is 20km and once you get to Arzua, generally people do two 19km stages into Santiago. That leaves a bit in the middle which doesn't divide easily into smaller parts and means you'll probably have to do a 28km stage. OK?
There are advantages in giving yourself a bit more time - if divided into 6 stages you can choose Anenome's options. If you add another half day, arriving mid-day in Lugo, you can take some time to visit the cathedral and walk around the old Roman walls... and get settled for the journey ahead.
If you arrive the day before you start you'll also have time to meet people in the albergue and maybe decide if you want to walk with them the following morning.
Cheers, tom
PS Gronze is quite handy for stage planning

[QUOTE
I was thinking of going in that Alsa bus, but travelling by night and arriving at 7, or so, and start my walk then. Considering that you seem to be from Madrid, would you advise me against it?[/QUOTE]

No. I don´t see any particular problem in your plans.
I did Lugo- Santiago last June I arrived in Lugo from Madrid at 14:35h.
I got my first stamp in a book shop at the bus station.
Maybe at 7h this shop is closed, then I think you can get your stamp in a cafetería in Plaza Mayor (that is between the bus station and the cathedral).
You'll see the marks near the cathedral, go down to river Miño and when you pass the bridge turn right and follow the river .

Bo Camiño (Buen Camino)

After San Lazaro follow the yellow arrows, which will shortly leave the river to turn uphill to the left; not the green ones which continue along the river to go to Friol. They both leave Lugo together for a time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After San Lazaro follow the yellow arrows, which will shortly leave the river to turn uphill to the left; not the green ones which continue along the river to go to Friol. They both leave Lugo together for a time.
This is the area I mentioned had me scratching my head. But those who followed the river ended up where I did (I went uphill): do they not merge again further on? (PS: San Lazaro the name of that neighbourhood just outside the walls, and you will see a church by the road side on your left).

Pretty easy walking after Lugo. Leaving Lugo, after you through the gate in front of the cathedral, cross the street and stay on the street that goes downhill. You will see a big huge Roman bridge with at metal statue. cross the bridge. The signs are there you just have to keep and out at all times.
It will be very hot in August.

You will be walking a lot more than 5km a day. The first stage is 20km and there are none that are shorter. If you haven't already started to hike longer distances then I suggest to start today. Especially if all you have is 5 days. If you want to walk shorter stages, then you will need to add a couple more days as peregrino Tom suggests.

You can do this, just make sure you look at the guides, and plan your stages. Remember to get the 2 stamps per day before arriving in Santiago.

The first stage is 20km and there are none that are shorter.
Not so. I listed two in the 15km stage before hitting Melide, and after Melide you could probably fins a bed every 5-10 km.

Issue is doing this stretch in 4 days without having to do walk 30km as mentioned by peregrino_tom.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not so. I listed two in the 15km stage before hitting Melide, and after Melide you could probably fins a bed every 5-10 km.

Issue is doing this stretch in 4 days without having to do walk 30km as mentioned by peregrino_tom.
Yes, this is true. What I was trying to say is that the problem is that she only has 4 days.
I've been looking at doing this route again but with 18 days to make the stages shorter and enjoy the walk more. But with only 4 days-I don't see how she could walk less than 20 km a day.

Yes, this is true. The problem is that she only has 4 days. I've been looking at doing this route again but with 18 days to make the stages shorter and enjoy the walk more. But with only 4 days-I don't see how she could walk less than 20 km a day.
Absolutely. That is what pilgrim_tom told her.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Still living with my parents, no young children involved. I believe the same, but as much as possible I would like that my empowering experience not to create discussions or sleepless nights to any of my parents.

What fortunate parents to have such a considerate daughter! Could I put my mother's hat on? If I were your mother I would be grateful that you wanted to save me unnecessary worry. But I wouldn't want to avoid discussion. I'd love to talk with you, to find out what was motivating this new desire of yours, to find out more about this camino. I'd want you to tell me all about it. Then I'd farewell you with the assurance you were doing a good thing. Earlier this year we sent our 14 year old to India for three months. A year and a half ago my eldest son spent his summer holidays in China on a scholarship. Both came home saying it was harder than they expected (which means it really was hard because they had a bit of a grim outlook before they left!!) but that they grew so much more because of that. These were transformational experiences for both of them and they matured greatly.
I would wish the same for you.

@Lineas

How old are you? And, just perhaps, your parents need to accept that you are a grown up woman perfectly capable to make her own life decisions ...

Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lineas,
You have to fly solo at sometime in your life, 26 is a good time. Seems as if you are Spanish, if so, you won't have a language barrier. We take our families fears with us into to life then rise above them. Walk on, walk on!

Lineas,
I am nearing my 50th birthday, and as I plan my first pilgrimage I also face many questions from parents and family about safety. ;) Their concerns will outlast your twenties!
I am also walking solo, but I continue to remind them that I will not be alone.
I will tell you what I've done to help allay their fears--perhaps some of these techniques can aid your discussions: I've downloaded the Wise Pilgrim app to provide a visual and described the basics (books or websites will suffice): how many kms a day, resources available for food and water, and places I have available to sleep. I've also reminded them I'll have access to wifi and will probably carry an international cell phone. I provide descriptions and statistics based upon blogs and books and websites... and then I show them YouTube clips, movies, and photos from the route so they can see pictures of the people (and the numbers!) and hear their voices.
I have also noted the emergency phone numbers and apps that have been discussed on this site and will carry a working phone. (If you haven't reviewed this portion, please do: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/personal-safety.162
Showing family planning and preparation before setting out goes a long way. I'm a recently retired military veteran who chooses adventure over comfort to the dismay of my family <grin> but they are very aware that I wouldn't ever choose to live my life differently. It takes a lot of research and communication. And reassuring. And, I have reminded them in the past that I seek and desire their support.
I apologize for the length of this post, but wish you the best of luck! I am certain you will have a successful Camino and many great adventures to follow!
Suz

Would recommend taking the Camino verde to sobraydo,beautiful,easy walking ,and well marked. I went to lavacola and on to Santiago. Much better than the normal route out of Lugo.

€83,-
What I'd like to know is : did you walk it, @Lineas and how dit it go? :)
Yes,and it was very easy and beautiful. Especially the first few km out of Lugo that went beside a lake/stream that was pure magic. Stayed at botimoro and then to lavacola. Well marked all the way to Santiago. Was there about September 10th of this year.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back