Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lugo - Ourense a good idea?

KariannNor

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Finestere 2023, 2024 ?
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea, or are there just as many people there because many are thinking the same thing?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's a good idea if that's what you want to walk.
Technically it's not a single Camino de Santiago as the rules are the stages must be consecutive but many people mix and match, walk stages in reverse, etc so it's your decision.

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea, or are there just as many people there because many are thinking the same thing?
There certainly aren’t as many people on the Plata/Sanabrés as the Francés. But maybe another option that makes more sense is to walk the Via Verde alternative from Lugo which connects to the end of the Norte rather than the Francés.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There certainly aren’t as many people on the Pkata/Sanabrés as the Francés. But maybe another option that makes more sense is to walk the Via Verde alternative from Lugo which connects to the end of the Norte rather than the Francés.
Thanks for the suggestion. I cannot find Via Verde described at Gronze. Maybe there is a description, if there is a marked route, somewhere else?

Technically it's not a single Camino de Santiago as the rules are the stages must be consecutive but many people mix and match, walk stages in reverse, etc so it's your decision.
The only part that matters for the Compostela is the last 100 km, which must be in a recognized route.
Thanks for the suggestion. I cannot find Via Verde described at Gronze. Maybe there is a description, if there is a marked route, somewhere else?
Unfortunately, the Verde is not a recognized Camino route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It’s a marked route, albeit not recognised. I walked it last year as part of my Primitivo, but I don’t bother with a Compostela. I’ll find the excellent thread from @Telelama and post it.

Incidentally, whilst I didn’t use any apps on the Camino, you’ll find the Verde on Mapy.cz . Probably worth downloading Mapy if you don’t already have it.
If you do decide to do this, you might also want to continue onto the Norte variant.
If you need help with accommodation options, post here or pm me.

I absolutely loved the first day of the Verde, the second half was also nice, but the best ends partway though the day when you hit the Norte. It’s all on here:

or my videos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But, if one choose Ourense, it will be 104.3 km if I have calculated correctly, before SDC. Isn't a bit strange that not more people have noticed this option if that paper is important? For my part, I still don't know if it is.

But, if one choose Ourense, it will be 104.3 km if I have calculated correctly, before SDC. Isn't a bit strange that not more people have noticed this option if that paper is important? For my part, I still don't know if it is.

They have.. there are groups and it's getting busier. But the frances remains more popular

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You could try reversing the Vía Künig from Lugo down to Ponferrada and then the Invierno and up to Santiago. You’ll still qualify for a Compo but you’ll have fun with the PO 😉

A search for the Via on here will take you to a couple of great threads on “doing it our Way”

You could try reversing the Vía Künig from Lugo down to Ponferrada and then the Invierno and up to Santiago. You’ll still qualify for a Compo but you’ll have fun with the PO 😉

A search for the Via on here will take you to a couple of great threads on “doing it our Way”
and PO is?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would advise against it. As mentioned elsewhere, I wouldn't be put off by the scaremongering you read. I walked from Lugo to Santiago (including the part from Melide to Santiago during the busiest time of year). In the part after Lugo, including the part after Melide, I can say with certainty that I had just as much solitude as I had on the Primitivo before Lugo. All I needed to do was stop in Salceda and Lavacolla instead of in Arzua and O Pedrouzo as others were doing.

You develop a rhythm and mindset measuring a country day after day with your feet. It is more than interrupted when you take a bus or train elsewhere and resume. I think you are better off with a continuous journey. Save the walk from Ourense for a future Camino where you walk the Sanabres.

But that's just my opinion.

I believe it would still qualify for a Compostela as the last 100km would be on a single recognized Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe it would still qualify for a Compostela as the last 100km would be on a single recognized Camino.
That's my take on this as well. When I walked the Sanabres from Ourense last year, there were a few people walking it who had started their camino on other routes. There might be some more complexity calculating a distance certificate for a disjointed route, but I know that it was done for my wife when she walked a few years ago. I don't know the current position of the Pilgrim Office on this, but there will be no harm in asking them to do that.

Last edited:
@KariannNor, I just walked from Lugo on the Primitivo proper, and found things on the Francés to be remarkably mellow - far mellower than I remember it from 2014 and 2015. The albergues I stayed in were not full, and the only "throngs" were on the last day, after the Santiago airport. On the Francés I stayed in Boente (Albergue El Aleman- which is fantastic) and the Santa Irene municipal.

Last edited:

The walk from Ourense is beautiful, well supported and not at all crowded. I walked solo every day but met others at cafes and albergues. Apart from the hot springs in Oursense, a highlight is the Monastery at Oseira. You can get a tour of this huge historic place in the afternoon and attend vespers in the evening. The monastery has one of the rare statues of the Virgin of the Milk - Mary feeding the baby Jesus. When I walked in 2022 I had the feeling that this route would become very popular in the years to come so it might be wise to ‘get in early’.
You will get a Compostela for the Sanabres, not the Francés and I am not sure if your kilometres the Francés would be counted on a distance certificate. If you want a Compostela for the Francés you will need to walk from Sarria.
Whatever you choose - enjoy.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would advise against it. As mentioned elsewhere, I wouldn't be put off by the scaremongering you read. I walked from Lugo to Santiago (including the part from Melide to Santiago during the busiest time of year). In the part after Lugo, including the part after Melide, I can say with certainty that I had just as much solitude as I had on the Primitivo before Lugo. All I needed to do was stop in Salceda and Lavacolla instead of in Arzua and O Pedrouzo as others were doing.

You develop a rhythm and mindset measuring a country day after day with your feet. It is more than interrupted when you take a bus or train elsewhere and resume. I think you are better off with a continuous journey. Save the walk from Ourense for a future Camino where you walk the Sanabres.

But that's just my opinion.
This! I walked in June. After Lugo, I stopped in Ferreira, Melide, Calle and Lavacolla. Melide and Calle where nowhere near full and because I was off-stage, I had quite a bit of quiet time, especially in the AM.

And last year in August, I volunteered at the Ribadiso muni, which is just before Arzùa (lovely historic spot). We were only full one day, with most folks carrying on to Arzùa.

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...
We are arriving in Madrid on May 5th. I went online today to purchase train tickets to Oviedo and it doesn't show any train service. Does that mean the trains are sold out? Or maybe some other...
Hi, has anyone walked the Primitivo in mid-October? What was it like? Weather, tracks and accommodation? I plan to walk from Oviedo to Lugo only, then bus to Santiago after. Thanks for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.