• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time anxious walker

amercado

I'm planning to walk el camino de Santiago from Roncesvalles in late April, or start of May 2012, solo at first until Sarria, then 1-3 others may join me? This has been a dream of mine ever since I've read about it in a USAir magazine 13 years ago, but I find all kinds of excuses to not do it. Thanks to the feedback from the pilgrims on this forum, those excuses have been addressed one way or another so much so that you have inspired me to make REALLY serious plans this time. I would like to know if there is somebody who presently lives in Lynchburg VA (USA) who shares a common interest. I want to start training with somebody. Oh, by the way, do I have to make a reservation for overnight accomodation in Roncesvalles?
From Angel in his pocket (Angelo)

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
You can make reservations at the two hotels in Roncesvalles, but not at the refuge.

Casa Sabina
La Posada

amercado said:
I'm planning to walk el camino de Santiago from Roncesvalles in late April, or start of May 2012, solo at first until Sarria, then 1-3 others may join me? From Angel in his pocket (Angelo)

Hola Angelo

Welcome to the forum. There will be many other pilgrims around when you arrive in Roncesvalles but I suspect not enough for the albergue to be full. You'll be fine. And rest assured there will others walking with if you wish within minutes of leaving Roncesvalles let alone Sarria!

Buen Camino

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Angelo...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

I live just NE of Richmond and I often travel in the NRV area and along the 81 corridor. My kids graduated from Tech.

There will be a "Gathering of Pilgrims"...past, present and future on Feb 18th in Colonial Williamsburg. Great company, food, vino and tall tales...well, mostly solid information..

Buen Camino

Arn

Arn said:
Angelo...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

I live just NE of Richmond and I often travel in the NRV area and along the 81 corridor. My kids graduated from Tech.

There will be a "Gathering of Pilgrims"...past, present and future on Feb 18th in Colonial Williamsburg. Great company, food, vino and tall tales...well, mostly solid information..

Buen Camino

Arn
This sounds interesting. Can you give me more details (place, time, contact number) on the Gathering on the 18th. I would like to attend. It is a 4-hour drive from Lynchburg VA. Thank you very much for the info. ANGELO

Angelo,

And any other Forum members in the surrounding area:

From our organizer: Otis Haislip <otis.haislip@gmail.com>;

Feb 18, 6 pm, at the Kingswood Pool Clubhouse, Williamsburg VA.

Do not let Google Maps mislead you. Go to the intersection of VA 199 (Humelsine Parkway) and VA 31 (Jamestown Road). Turn onto VA 31 West, towards the Jamestown Ferry. Go 0.7 miles, turn right onto Spring Road, go 0.2 miles and turn right into the Kingswood pool parking lot. Look for the lights at the clubhouse and listen for the murmur of tall tales of the Camino.

And remember: Our Gathering is open to anyone with an interest in the Camino,

A special and frequent quest is George Greenia, Professor at the College of William and Mary. George was a big part of organizing for Emilio and Martin when they toured the East Coast promoting "The Way".

There's a lot of room in the club house, so if anyone needs more information or wants to attend, please let Otis know.

Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Arn said:
Angelo,

And any other Forum members in the surrounding area:

From our organizer: Otis Haislip <otis.haislip@gmail.com>;

Feb 18, 6 pm, at the Kingswood Pool Clubhouse, Williamsburg VA.

Do not let Google Maps mislead you. Go to the intersection of VA 199 (Humelsine Parkway) and VA 31 (Jamestown Road). Turn onto VA 31 West, towards the Jamestown Ferry. Go 0.7 miles, turn right onto Spring Road, go 0.2 miles and turn right into the Kingswood pool parking lot. Look for the lights at the clubhouse and listen for the murmur of tall tales of the Camino.

And remember: Our Gathering is open to anyone with an interest in the Camino,

A special and frequent quest is George Greenia, Professor at the College of William and Mary. George was a big part of organizing for Emilio and Martin when they toured the East Coast promoting "The Way".

There's a lot of room in the club house, so if anyone needs more information or wants to attend, please let Otis know.

Arn
You are a great help with the info and detailed directions. I plant to attend. ANGELO

Share Taxi from Paomplona to SJPP

My brother and I are taking the train from Madrid to Pamplona on May 20. (LV 7:35am, ARR 10:28 pm.). We want to arrive in SJPP as early as possible so we can get a head start and stay in Orisson for the night. One option is to share a taxi direct to SJPP. My guesss 90 euros. Anybody interested? The 2nd option is to take the bus to Roncesvalles (leaves Pamplona 2pm, 4 pm. and 6 pm), then taxi to SJPP. This will also work, it's cheaper, but in this case we will stay overnight at SJPP.

After 2 months of training for my first camino, I am now ready physically (I think); however, some of you have mentioned that we do very little in preparing ourselves spiritually. I thought it would be good to learn the Lord's Prayer (Our Father) and Hail Mary in Spanish. So I memorized them during my training (a great way to kill time and stay focused). Now I can participate along with the locals during Mass, these wonderful prayers. Here they are below (copied from a pamphlet in the Dom, Koeln)

La Seňal de la Cruz (Sign of the Cross)
En nombre del Padre, y del Hijo, y del Espiritu Santo. Amén.

El Padre Nuestro (The Lord's Prayer)
Padre Nuestro, que estàs en el cielo,
santificado sea tu Nombre;
venga a nosotros tu reino;
hágase tu voluntad en la tierra como en el cielo.
Danos hoy nuestro pan de cada dia;
perdona nuestras ofensas,
como también nosotros perdonamos
a los que nos ofenden
no nos dejes caer en las tentación,
y libranos de mal.

Tuyo es el reino,
tuyo el poder y la gloria, por siempre, Seňor. Amén.

EL AVEMARIA (Hail Mary)
Dios te salve, Maria;
llena eres de gracia;
el Seňor es contigo;
bendita Tú eres entre todas las mujeres,
y bendito es el fruto de tu vientre, Jesús.
Santa Maria, Madre de Dios,
ruega pro nosotros, pecadores
hora y en la hora de nuestra muerte. Amén.

Buen camino. Angelo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.