• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time Camino Frances Tips

Christophe91

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2019)
Hi everyone, my name is Chris and I am 27 years old from England. I am excited to join this forum and gain as much info from you all as i can before I start my trip which I hope to begin around mid-March.

I have been reading a lot about recommended things to pack and not take and also travel to get to St Jean Pied de Port in the first instance. Is it right that Biarritz is the closest and easiest airport to fly to from the UK? And how do you get from Biarritz to St Jean Pied de Port, is there a bus or train or something?

I think this part is the part I am most anxious about as my French is next to zero! I know some Spanish so I hope that I will be fine interacting with Spanish locals most of the time.

Do you guys have any specific advice for my trip? I want to plan it as best I can but I don't want to overthink it either. I am very excited at the prospect of walking the Camino but a little nervous too. I am sure this trip is exactly what I need at this time of my life though and life is too short to wait.

Thanks in advance for your support and advice guys!

Chris

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Chris,

You are on the right track with your comment 'plan it as best I can but I don't want to overthink it'. Do all your prep before you leave and when you get there just go with the flow. Leave yourself open to the moment and the day to day experience of whatever comes your way. And simply enjoy the experience of a life time.

In IMO Biarritz is the best place to fly to from the UK. As for getting to SJPP try the link below. English is no problem (yes we who speak English as a first language are very fortunate that so many others have an understanding of English).
https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

Go and enjoy :)
Aidan

Hi, Chris, and welcome to the Forum :)

Here are a couple of posts that I have posted before that may be of help.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
--------------------------------------------------

Biarritz is the closest airport to St Jean. If you fly in to Biarritz here are some ideas for getting to St Jean. Trains are also an option

1. https://www.expressbourricot.com/contact-and-booking/ The fee is split between passengers, so a full shuttle runs about 20 Euro per person. It is reservation only, is quite popular, and you need to make a reservation ASAP if you want to be assured a seat.

2. Taxi. Again, the cost is per taxi. so, the more that share, the cheaper it is.

3. Walk to the main airport entrance and look for fellow pilgrims -- packs, shells, patches, anxious expressions :). Ask if anyone would like to share a taxi, or if anyone has space to share a ride. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a few takers. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Chris, how exciting!
Yes flying to Biarritz + express bourricot is your best bet as per posts above.

Apart from that and in no particular order:

Research boots/shoes well, get something that suits you and fits you well, and break them in well before you start your Camino.

Footcare: have a plan A and a plan B before you leave regarding blisters. Plenty of threads (*) about that in the forum.

Pack light. Just take the essentials. Personally I think that two outfits are enough: one in your pack, one on you. You can do your laundry every night and it’s dry by morning. If not, pin damp items to your pack, they’ll dry as you walk. Take safety pins.

Wash what you were wearing in the day, sleep in the outfit you’re going to wear the next day. Saves you packing PJs.

Buen Camino!

(*) No pun intended. You’ll see what I mean when you research blister care. ;)

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.

I will make a note of your suggestions and tips and do some research this weekend. I have sent off today for the Pilgrim Passport and a guide book so hopefully they will arrive next week too.

It's a leap of faith for me taking this trip and I have decided to quit my job and take this challenge. I have not taken a few opportunities in my life because of fear and self-doubt and I don't want that to happen this time. I know I am capable and I hope this trip can bring out the best in me and help me find myself in some way.

Thank you all!

Chris,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of good advice here, although not everyone gives the same advice!

The only direct flights from the UK to Biarritz in March are Ryanair from Stansted on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. They arrive at Biarritz at 17:40 (17:20 on Friday) which, unfortunately, doesn't leave you enough time to get the last train from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port, which leaves at 18:30.

Your options, therefore, are:

1) to spend the night in Bayonne (no great sacrifice, it's a very nice city and there are cheap hotels/hostels) and travel on by train to St Jean Pied de Port the next day. If you arrive at Biarritz on 13 March, the first train on 14 March leaves Bayonne at 14:52, arriving 15:50.

2) do as Aidan21 suggests and arrange transport with Express Bourricot from Biarritz airport. Be aware, however, that if you are the only passenger, your journey to St Jean Pied de Port will cost €84. It does, however, get you there the same day.

3) to take a more expensive and indirect flight (e.g. Heathrow - Paris Charles de Gaulle - Biarritz) leaving Heathrow at 6:40 a.m. arriving at Biarritz 11:20 a.m. Have a look at Skyscanner.

Whichever option you take, relax and enjoy it. And always be prepared to change your plans!

Good luck and have a great time.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for that in-depth reply Glen, I will have a look into flight options this weekend. I may take a flight on Sunday 17th March.

I haven't had a proper look yet at Bayonne is there a train to get there from Biarritz airport?

Thanks again!

Take the city bus from the airport to the train station, and the train from there to SJPdP. There are five or six trains a day, and it is far less expensive than a taxi or van. No reservations are required (or available) on the train. It is a quick trip with standing room.

From the train station in SJPdP walk up the hill to the Pilgrim Office for information and a beginning stamp. You can get a credential there is you do no have one. They will help you find a bed if you don't have a reservation.

The MOST important thing is footwear. Be sure it fits. Too tight, and you WILL get blisters. Too big, you may get blisters unless you control the foot slippage. Try on footwear with the socks you will be using, so socks are your first decision. I use a thin liner and ordinary poly/wool blend outer socks. Do not blindly buy one size bigger than your normal size unless that results in a proper fit. I also suggest a foot lubricant. I use silicone, but Vaseline also works. Every day, but particularly on the first day, be aware of hot spots. If you get one, stop and deal with it. That first blister will dog you for weeks! The best prevention is to extensively test your footwear before you leave with long, regular walks with a loaded pack. Equipment beyond your footwear can be purchased in Spain if you need something.

Have fun! Buen camino.

Thanks falcon for that information, without doubt the stressful part of this trip I think will be getting to SJPdP in the first place!

I hope when I get to France it will be reasonably straightforward to get where I need to be. I will make a note of all your responses and figure out how to do it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I recommend you try to learn at least some basic French and Spanish. Here are some good suggestions IMHO:

1. The Berlitz series of tourist pocket books are a good start, especially if you do not have or plan to use a smartphone. IIRC, they also come with CDs that you can 'rip' to your audio library as .mp3 files, and copy to your smartphone. this allows you to practice at will.

2. The iThinkdiff series of language apps are very good and very inexpensive. You can get French and Spanish. They have very good two-way dictionaries, phrasebooks, and audio pronunciation of words. This is excellent for the basic phrases.

3. I also use and recommend www.Duolingo.com to learn Spanish for free online. I also have their smartphone app on my iPhone so I can work on learning no matter where I am. You can learn basic French and Spanish, plus dozens of other languages for FREE. However, this is mostly for spoken language and some reading comprehension. It is not a robust online reference.

Suggestions 1 and or 2 are the way to go for quick and dirty learning.

Finally, learn to appreciate the wonders of both Google Translate and the Bing / Microsoft Translator. Both are FREE. They are both able to use your phone's camera to translate signs on the fly. Both have an audio capability so you can compose an English sentence and have it repeat the translation in French or Spanish, etc. But, this is not as good as learning to speak to some of the local language personally. It WILL be appreciated.

Hope this helps.

My favourite way to get from Biarritz airport to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port:
1. Walk out ot the airport terminal, turn left and keep walking beside the main road. In about half an hour you'll arrive at the main Biarritz train station. And already walking on your Way!!
2. Catch the next train going north, to Bayonne. Costs very little and a very short trip.
3. Get the next train from Bayonne to St-Jean. It takes about an hour and a half, is a delightful ride, and you'll meet your first fellow pelerins/peregrinos/pilgrims.
Buen Camino

Alternatively: there is a bus, no. 14, in the direction of Place des Basques, from right outside Arrivals at Biarritz airport, to Bayonne, every 20 mins, cost €1. For the station, get off at Réduit Boufflers (a screen on the bus gives the next stop) and walk across the bridge (over the R. Adour) to Bayonne station and hotels.

By the way, and apologies if someone else has mentioned it, but you do know that the Route Napoleon from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is closed until 31 March? You'll need to take the Valcarlos route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions.

Yes Glen I saw that the Napoleon route is closed when I plan to start. Is the Valcarlos route well-signposted from SJPdP too?

Hi everyone, my name is Chris and I am 27 years old from England. I am excited to join this forum and gain as much info from you all as i can before I start my trip which I hope to begin around mid-March.

I have been reading a lot about recommended things to pack and not take and also travel to get to St Jean Pied de Port in the first instance. Is it right that Biarritz is the closest and easiest airport to fly to from the UK? And how do you get from Biarritz to St Jean Pied de Port, is there a bus or train or something?

I think this part is the part I am most anxious about as my French is next to zero! I know some Spanish so I hope that I will be fine interacting with Spanish locals most of the time.

Do you guys have any specific advice for my trip? I want to plan it as best I can but I don't want to overthink it either. I am very excited at the prospect of walking the Camino but a little nervous too. I am sure this trip is exactly what I need at this time of my life though and life is too short to wait.

Chris

Hi Chris, congratulations on your decision to walk the CF. I walked the Camino 2 years ago and had a wonderful time and life altering experiences; transformational, in many respects. A few random thoughts. I highly recommend you travel solo. Your experiences will be far more richer than traveling with companions (opinion). Give yourself plenty of time to complete the trek. I completed the Camino in six weeks which allowed me to be spontaneous and do detours and the like. Take the shuttle another Pilgrim here-in recommended from Biarrritz to SJPP; they do a good job, very professional. Pack light. I cannot over emphasize this. You will only need one or two of everything and if you have any regrets, you can always replace it in the towns and village along the Way. Water . . . it's heavy! There is potable water throughout the CF so you don't need to lug 3 liters around, for example. One, probably two liters is about right. You can fill up at bars, allergies and village fountains along the trail. Not necessarily last, leave your electronics behind with the exception perhaps of your iPhone/camera or similar; minimizes unnecessary distractions. I am sure many will disagree with some of my comments, that's okay, we all come away with different takes. Whatever you do, have a wonderful and safe journey. ,

Chris
Hi! My advice: First, pack LIGHT.
Then fly to Biarritz.
Take bus to Bayonne (the bus stop is just outside the airport). You don’t need a taxi or anything else unless you are really pressed for time....
Then depending of your arrival time - either spend the night in Bayonne or
- that same day, take the train from Bayonne station to Saint Jean Pied de Port. (It could be a bus instead, leaving from just outside the station). The people there are well used to pilgrims asking for advice in English, fear not!
No need for complicated planning 😉 Enjoy the Camino.
Oh and your first port of call in St Jean should be the pilgrim’s office. Essential!
They’ll give you all the information you need, list of accommodation, reassurance if you need it, you can even weigh your pack there.... They’ll also find you a bed in St Jean. Lovely people!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is the Valcarlos route well-signposted from SJPdP too?
Yes - you will walk down Rue de la Citadelle, under the arch of Porte d'Espagne, over the Pont St Jean and up Rue d' Espagne, which becomes Route St-Michel (there's a small bakery on your right for last-minute supplies.)

Turn right on Chemin de Mayorga (the D381) - you're on the Valcarlos route, which is well-signposted.

Hi Chris,

When it comes to advice on walking your first camino, everyone has plenty of tips. For me though, I'd suggest you pick what you like, but don't get too hung up on it and you will figure out most of it as you go.

If you do find your dates slipping into April, the Ryanair flight schedules into Biarritz get a whole lot more pilgrim friendly, with early flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays that make getting to SJPdP in one day much easier, getting in to Biarritz with plenty of time to pick up one of the afternoon trains. That said, I'll be starting from the same place for the first time in September, and am planning to get an overnight bus from Swansea to Stansted, before flying the same route and catching the train from there. I'm expecting around 20 hours travel to get to the hostel!

From my other camino experiences though, if you can I would be flexible in your schedule, as I found some people that I really enjoyed walking with, so slowed my pace a little to enjoy walking with them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.