• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time Camino/Pelegrino

venezchef

Time of past OR future Camino
camino de
santiago (2016)
Hi, my husband and I will be traveling from Florida to walk the camino for the first time, sometime in April. We have about a 3 week span during which we would like to connect our trip to Lourdes and a flight to Paris for a few days. Can anyone recommend a route, I am tossed between the French Way and the Northern Spain Route? We are in our 60s but physically fit, looking to spend 8-10 days on the Camino Walk and 5 days to see Lourdes and Paris. All suggestions are welcomed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm doing a approx 20km/day (I'll see how it goes once I am on the trail of course) Burgos to Leon or Astorga in early April. I need to go look at my notes but I think it's 9 camino days. Thought I'd do my meseta portion while it's still coolish!!

You may care to consider walking from Lourdes to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

I say this, not out of personal experience but from having read in these pages details about leaving Lourdes towards SJPdP.

You will need to do some research as to the route that suits you best.

Google Maps, as starting point to develop from, tells me it is 123 km between the two on more direct westerly routes. This is about 5-6 days depending on where accommodation is to be found and your willingness. Of course any Google Maps selection may not be the most appropriate route for you.

A slightly longer route is to head north west towards the chemin that started in Le Puy-en-Velay and connect with that at about Navarrenx and then walk the established route to Saint-Jean. Google maps says about 80 km from Lourdes to Navarrenx. The guide books for the Le Puy route says about 65 km from Navarrenx to SJPdP.

The advantages of starting from Lourdes are no days dead travelling to another start point and at least one more nights accomodation, you end at a well established start point should you chose to continue the Camino at a future date and there are regular trains out to Bayonne and on from there. And you don't have to cope with a change of language just yet.

This is just my first take. I am sure there are lots of other opportunities for you to consider.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, my husband and I will be traveling from Florida to walk the camino for the first time, sometime in April. We have about a 3 week span during which we would like to connect our trip to Lourdes and a flight to Paris for a few days. Can anyone recommend a route, I am tossed between the French Way and the Northern Spain Route? We are in our 60s but physically fit, looking to spend 8-10 days on the Camino Walk and 5 days to see Lourdes and Paris. All suggestions are welcomed.

Venezchef:

A lot depends on what you want out of your trip. If you are looking to reach Santiago and get a Compostela, I would recommend you start in Sarria, Lugo or walk the Ingles. Any of these starting points would allow you to get a Compostela and if you enjoyed the walk continue on to Finisterre. Starting at Sarria or Lugo you will be with larger numbers of other Pilgrims. The Ingles will be much more quiet.

If you are just looking to walk a section of a Camino in Spain, you could start in Irun or SJPdP and just walk as far as you can. The Norte is Coastal and the Early Frances is in the Pyrenees.

Check out the Gronze.com website. It will give you an idea of the routes and what cities they pass through.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thank you Kiwi Camino and Joe for your suggestions. There is certainly food for thought and I will consider all your possiblities.

regards
Venechef

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back