• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time on Camino Frances April/May 2016

Sophia W

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Hola peregrinos,

Greetings from Chicago! I booked my flights and plan to do my first camino starting in Logrono on April 17th and hopefully making it to Santiago de Compostela before May 15th. Does the math sound alright, seasoned pilgrims?

It's been a dream of mine for years to do this, so I'm excited to make this a reality. I am camino-ing solo, but I might have some loved ones meeting me in towns along the way and crossing fingers a camino family will adopt me. Hoping for good weather during this timeframe! (though coming from Chicago, I'm not picky...)

Sophia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola peregrinos,

Greetings from Chicago! I booked my flights and plan to do my first camino starting in Logrono on April 17th and hopefully making it to Santiago de Compostela before May 15th. Does the math sound alright, seasoned pilgrims?

It's been a dream of mine for years to do this, so I'm excited to make this a reality. I am camino-ing solo, but I might have some loved ones meeting me in towns along the way and crossing fingers a camino family will adopt me. Hoping for good weather during this timeframe! (though coming from Chicago, I'm not picky...)

Sophia

Very excited for you Sophia. Everyone seems to get 'adopted' one way or another :)

That seems doable. I did that distance taking a day longer than you are planning but walked very slow, had 2 rest days in that stretch, and took 8 days to do the last 100 kms :(

But hey..........we all walk at different speeds and who can predict what might conspire to throw a spanner in the works!

Hi, Sophia,

Welcome to the forum from a fellow midwesterner! I'm about 150 miles south of you. As Rob says, your plan sounds eminently do-able, but you never know what Santiago will throw your way. And if you arrive earlier than expected in Santiago, you can always walk 3-4-5 days to Finisterre and Muxia. Or, as others have done, if you arrive really early, you can head up to Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles. So I wouldn't worry about having a lot of extra days, there are always plenty of ways to use them up. It's actually a great luxury to have more time than you hope you will need. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola peregrinos,

Sophia
Hi Sophia and welcome, it's a great time of the year to walk the Camino. I started my camino at the 18th of April this year and I did it nice and steady in 37 day's and enjoyd every day, so will you. You will make your Camino family along the way. I wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola peregrinos,

Sophia

Hello from Northern California. Happy for you that you have taken the step to book your flight. An exciting adventure awaits you I'm sure. I am sure you will have many questions before you leave regarding the Camino. My advise to you would be to use this forum as your resource. The are many knowledgable people here to help you prepare. Here is one bit of advise, be prepared for wet weather when you get to Galicia. You will meet wonderful people from all around the world and see the real beauty of Spain and it's people. I hope to be returning in late August of 2016 and complete a second Camino. Buen Camino.

Hola peregrinos,

Sophia

hey Sophia!
I am wanting to return next year to complete my journey and from Logrono! I walked from SJPP to Logrono this past May. Did you want company? I walked solo, did meet some great people along the way - however, it was difficult to stay connected because people were couples, already grouped or on a different schedule etc Let me know what you think!

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.