• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time on Camino

sggarlick

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Sept 2023
Hello everyone,
I’ve been getting so much information on here, reading all (some!) of the threads, so thank you all for sharing.
I’m starting my first Camino Frances journey from SJPDP on 1st September this year, so getting pretty excited about it now. I’ve decided to just book my first night in SJPDP and will then take what comes along.
Hope to meet some of you along the Way.
Buen Camino!
Steven

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
. I’ve decided to just book my first night in SJPDP and will then take what comes along
Since you will be starting during one of the most popular weeks to begin from SJPdP I highly recommend that you book up to or through Pamplona. There are a couple of choke points in that section that make finding accommodation difficult. After Pamplona there are more intermediate towns and the pilgrims spread out more.

Since you will be starting during one of the most popular weeks to begin from SJPdP I highly recommend that you book up to or through Pamplona. There are a couple of choke points in that section that make finding accommodation difficult. After Pamplona there are more intermediate towns and the pilgrims spread out more.
Very well spoken. And keep in mind that after Sarria there will be some more "traffic" on the paths and you may experience some bookouts in albergues. But nothing to fear about, just walk literally next door to find your bed for the night.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Possibly a daft question, but as I’ve decided to find places to sleep after completing my distance for the day, I was wondering how I go about finding somewhere! Are there signposts/banners or anything that indicate where the various Albergues are, or do I need to use my guidebook/App/map to locate them?

There are usually signs advertising albergues but the easiest way is to check the addresses in your guidebook or app. I usually use the gronze.com website as it has very full listings and is frequently updated.
Great, thank you! I’m sure it’ll all become easier when I get there and start walking!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Possibly a daft question, but as I’ve decided to find places to sleep after completing my distance for the day, I was wondering how I go about finding somewhere! Are there signposts/banners or anything that indicate where the various Albergues are, or do I need to use my guidebook/App/map to locate them?
Once you have identified an albergue on Gronze then if it is a big town or city you may need to use Google Maps to find the place. In smaller towns this is usually not an issue.

I never had any issue with finding places to sleep on the Sarria leg when i did it. But I also stayed at places that were in between the Gronze stages, like the Gonzar albergue in between Portomarin and Palas de Rei. I stayed at a private, 12 euros a night (at the time, it's now 14), albergue in Arzua and there were five of us there that night. But I did my Sarria camino in four days and just picked places to stay at the end of the day, depending on where I was at that point.

If you find an albergue that isn't in the towns on the Gronze guide, but is say a couple of km outside of it, you will be able to find a bed most of the time. A lot of people religiously follow Gronze, which is why the end stages might have less beds available (Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Arzua, O Pedrouzo). It is very possible to walk to Monte de Gozo from Arzua in one day without going too overboard if you feel the need, or you could stage from Lavacolla if you don't want to go that far.

But don't overthink the bed situation. Look on Gronze for albergues that aren't at the end of stages and if needs be give them a call to see if they have any beds left. :)

I never had any issue with finding places to sleep on the Sarria leg when i did it. But I also stayed at places that were in between the Gronze stages, like the Gonzar albergue in between Portomarin and Palas de Rei. I stayed at a private, 12 euros a night (at the time, it's now 14), albergue in Arzua and there were five of us there that night. But I did my Sarria camino in four days and just picked places to stay at the end of the day, depending on where I was at that point.

If you find an albergue that isn't in the towns on the Gronze guide, but is say a couple of km outside of it, you will be able to find a bed most of the time. A lot of people religiously follow Gronze, which is why the end stages might have less beds available (Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Arzua, O Pedrouzo). It is very possible to walk to Monte de Gozo from Arzua in one day without going too overboard if you feel the need, or you could stage from Lavacolla if you don't want to go that far.

But don't overthink the bed situation. Look on Gronze for albergues that aren't at the end of stages and if needs be give them a call to see if they have any beds left. :)
Thanks for the insight. My ‘plan’ is to walk ~15 miles per day and then start looking for somewhere, walking another ~5 miles if necessary.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.