• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time, starting April2012

Geoffroy

Hi:)) First of all would like to say thankyou to everyone on this forum for posted such useful information. Its great to know there are similar people like me as my friends and family think im crazy. Im so excited I really cant wait:)))

My name is Geoffroy and Im planning to start my first camino 1st April 2012 from Le Puy en velay to Santiago and hopefully walking back, taking a completely different route. Walking around 5000km
Im thinking it will take 6 months or so with extra detours and problems with my health. Time really isnt an issue so i will be taking my time with no set course or pace.

(My saying: Those who rush life will rush all things, not taking time to notice the love, beauty, peace and nature which god has given us. Without taken this time we will often miss what we are looking for.)

I will be wild camping for he best part of it, with the occasional stop at pilgrim hospice to re energize and meet new people. This will should save alot of money, and my real expense will be food.

As for my health I suffer from cancer and C.F.S but im determined 30 year old that isnt going to let this stop me and prove to myself Im still capable of doing normal things.
Their are many other reasons for doing this than just being fed up with the hospital and tests: I just need to get away from this material world& wealth, find myself again, my home, God, and the peace and love in my heart.
My pilgrim has already started and I look forward to meeting you along the way or your very welcome to join me.

God bless
Geoffroy:)))

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Geoffrey,

I am well impressed with your courage.

You're family are right; you are crazy - off the scale in fact :D Join the club. In 2009 I knew I wasn't well. It turned out that I had a blocked artery as well as insulin dependent diabetes, some kidney failure and the beginnings of damaged eyesight. I walked a 170 miles doing both legs of the Camino Inglés before going on to Muxia.

However, that was my 7th pilgrimage and I knew what to expect.

You might be in the "not taking advice mode" but I wonder if you should come and do a couple of weeks this year to get a "feel" for the pilgrimage. Your goal would seriousy challenge a well person. It will place a tremendous burden on your body and may reduce your body's ability to fight your illnesses.

I offer this as one chronically ill pilgrim to another.

If you don't like what I say use the personal panel to place me under "foe" and you'll never read another post from me again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying, don't do it. I am saying, test your limits on a much shorter run first.

Geoffroy:

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure how ill you are or your physical conditioning. The path you have laid out for yourself is a rigorous one. 5000km in 6 months is a little over 27km a day without any days off. The only suggestion I will offer you is to take your own advice as stated in "your saying".

I wish you well in your Journey's. If I can be of assistance, please feel free to PM me.

I am also planning to walk again next Spring but from SJPdP.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
First all thankyou Joe, for your lovely welcome message. Maybe we will meet up on the wayxx:) I hadnt done the maths. On the way back I think i will shortened the distance walking, by getting back SJPDP via transport and walking from there along the Pyrenees (GR5)

Thankyou for your advice methodist pilgrim 98. I would love to try a little pilgrim this summer but I simply cant afford it or able to do so. I am trying to prepare myself by doing a little extra each day on my legs and feet. I live near Thetford forest so hopefully I can do a few mini hikes this summer and test my physical ability on longer distances.
Though I know youre right and hear what youre saying but I will be doing this if im ill or not and want let theses illnesses rule my life. Life is to short and you dont know what is waiting for you round the corner, good or bad. This maybe be my only opportunity, so I have to give my all.:)))

Geoffroy,

I wish you well with your planning, training and intentions. You clearly must go for it and see what your pilgrimage brings.

If you intend to take transport from SDC to SJPP then your time table looks much more realistic.

I am not the only chronically ill person who has walked the Camino (and am returning to do more) and if you have specific questions there will be people here who can answer them.

If you want to ask me anything specific, then please feel free to PM me.

Finally, I strongly urge you to walk to Finisterre and Muxia after SDC. It will add 4 or 5 days to your journey but will give you a real sense of completion. There is a bus from Muxia harbour back to SDC.

Thankyou:)) I looked at walking to Ferristerre and Muxia after, and would really like too but was but off by the hostels in the area because of the not so good reports. Whats youre view on this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The municipal albergues are fine, though some distance apart. If you have been walking for some time they will not be beyond you.

There is a new albergue in Muxia. It is huge and clean.

What I should add is that you should get a letter from your hospital outlining any problems and what treatment you have had. Get a translation in Spanish put on the back. My understanding is that even if the municipal albergue is full they cannot turn away anyone who is medically ill.

I used this in Negreria in 2009 (on the way to Finisterre) when it was full.

I have found the only problem is that they are usually filled to capacity and lots of pilgrims in small albergues is not to everyone's taste. If you are still using a tent there is plenty of places to pitch it, sometimes in the albergue grounds.

You're a star, thanks. Honestly i dont mind sleeping anywhere, along as its safe and their is no thieves.
I would camp anywhere but this seems a little trouble-sum in Spain
Im off to see the Oncologist next week so hopefully they can help with a letter. ( Im definetely will bring this letter)
I have to say a big thankyou, I originally plan to make it to Ferristere and was put off, but you have brought me back to my original path, so thanks.

If you could persuade them to give you a letter early 2012 that would really put muscle into your arm twisting.

In a tent I would be more worried about cold than thieves. I take a shoulder bag which never, ever leaves my sight (not even in the shower) and contains my insulin and camera. While I am in the shower my insulin pump goes into it.

Passport, credit cards and money travels in a pouch around my neck. It gets stuffed down the sleeping bag at night and even if I have to get up to go to the loo I take it with me.

There are some things just too important to let an opportunist to get to.

Thieving by other pilgrims is remarkably rare but albergues are not always as tight as they should be.

Standing at the end of the world and knowing your journey is complete - even if not finished - is important and will be worth it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.