• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time starting at the end of September

moonyfish

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances 2017
Hello community.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience and knowledge. Information I find in this forum has been very helpful!

I am starting my 1st time Camino (Frances) at the end of September.
I read discussion on similar topics but would like to see if anybody have thoughts/comments/recommendation on my current plan:

I arrive in Biarriz around 09:00 am on the 29th (Friday) then plan to take a bus to SJP (2hrs +). That means I should be in SJP by noon for sure (assuming that it'll take me a bit to figure out bus system, connections, etc.).

- Book a room in SJP?
Based on the posts on the similar topic, it won't be necessary to book a room in SJP. Am I correct or totally mistaken?

- Try to get to Orrison on the same day (the 29th)?
I plan to get Pilgrim's passport in SJP and gather additional information. I'm hoping that it will not take any more than 1-2 hours.
I understand that the distance from SJP is about 7-8 km with steep incline.
I'm in reasonable shape (run 25-26km 1-2 per week, bike 80+km 2-3 times per week, have done cannyon hike with total distance of 38 km with elevation gain 1400~1800 meters --- down 10km and up 28km in 12-13 hours).
Am I absolutely underestimating the effort and/or time it takes to get oriented in SJP (e.g. get passwort issued, gather information, etc...)...

Your wise advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds like you are in great shape compared to me and I manage it! However, be careful not to try walking too quickly for the first few days as this is when many get injured.
Yes, I find the stretch up to Orisson wearisome. Not overly so however and I can take this ageing, overweight torso all the way to Roncesvalles. :)
Have you explored whether Orisson actually has a vacancy? Are you really that pressured for days to SDC? Maybe just enjoy SJPdP, meet others over your first pilgrim meal and have company to start out with?

I would visit the pilgrim reception office then night stop at SJPDP and recover from a day of travelling. Next day walk to Orisson but pre book this. Take each day as it comes, enjoy the walk and don't overdo it. This is not a race, slow but sure is my recommendation.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Al. Thank you very much for your response.

I've sent an email to Orisson asking to see if they have vacancy and am waiting for their response.
Based on what others are saying about Orisson, I have an impression that it is a very good place to meet other pilgrims and a great place to become oriented. So I thought I should stay over night there (if they still have a space).
The reason why I'd like to meet other pilgrims is that I'd like to find some people with whom I can walk good part of my way...
After I schedule my dates for this journey, I read that October ~ is low season with possibly very harsh weather (strong wind, rain, etc.). So I'm getting a bit worried about being all alone in the path (e.g. getting injured due to weather, etc. while being by myself)... :(

If I stay overnight at SJP, the distance from SJP to Orisson is only 8-7 kms (although it is a steep incline). So I thought I would have too much time once I get to Orisson (and would have to make up the time later in the journey)...
Options:
a) Biarriz -> SJP -> Orisson in one rather very long day (but 1/2 of the day is travel).
b) Biarriz -> SJP in one day followed by SJP -> Orisson in one rather short day (8-7 km).
c) Biarriz -> SJP in one day followed by SJP -> Roncesvalles in one day and don't stay at Orisson.

Based on your experience, would you (or anybody for that matter) have recommendation?
Once again, thank you very much for your feedback. :)

Hello FLEUR Thank you very much for your suggestion. Yes, I'd prefer to take it as it comes but at the same time and racing against clock but I am bit worried that I won't be able to make to Santiago on time (I've already booked my return travel, etc.)...

And as I've already mentioned earlier, I'm getting more concerned about being all alone in the path with bad weather. I read somewhere that people have incurred injury due to bad weather during their camino and also read somebody mentioning not seeing any other pilgrims all day...
So I'm getting a bit worried about it... :(

In any case, I very much appreciate your feedback and suggestion. :)

The weather is the important thing. If bad (quite probably not at end of September) you cannot go on the Napoleon anyway. Take advice given at Pilgrim Office.
personally I love what is now called Beilari in St Jean. Right by the Pilgrim Office. A communal meal and breakfast gives a great opportunity to meet new friends. I have never walked out of there alone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Al. Thank you very much for your recommendation about taking the advice at the Pilgrim Office and possibly staying at Beilari. :)
So based on your comment, it sounds like staying at Orrison is not necessarily a "must" (and weather may not permit it any way --- though I hope I won't have to face a bad weather on the get-go)?

Best regards :)

Just relax about things. It is understandable to feel a little anxious the first time out. Trust us, it soon disappears when the Camino spirit grabs you. You sound seriously fit compared to many of us and we survive! :) Just remember that you will meet, lose, regain and find new friends many times probably. Rarely do people find themselves with the same companions all the way. When you feel you do need someone then just ask. You won't be refused - people understand and care for each other. You will never find anywhere where strangers are so not strangers. Buen Camino

Not sure how many days weeks you have allowed but if you are getting short of time you could take a bus or train for a small section and gain a bit of time. Main thing is to walk the last 100 km into Santiago. Alternatively do as much as you can this time and return to complete the last 100 km or more another time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The vast majority of pilgrims do SJPP-Roncesvalles in one stage -and do well. As you report your fitness condition, to you it will be easy. Anyway, be cautious with weather and follow the pilgrim's bureau advices.
I walked this stage in late September -and I always had other pilgrims in sight, even in short distances.
upload_2017-9-4_7-43-9.png

In SJPP, I recommend the albergue Kaserna.

So based on your comment, it sounds like staying at Orrison is not necessarily a "must" (and weather may not permit it any way --- though I hope I won't have to face a bad weather on the get-go)?
Staying at Orrisson is definitively not a must if you start from StJean.
It's perfectly feasible (weather permitting) to walk to Roncesvalles in one go. Really. :)

@moonyfish hi
Depending on weather on the day getting to Orisson is possible.
But I would not attempt further than that given your ETA at Saint-Jean. Especially as sun set will be about an hour earlier than at present.
Given your fitness level you could expect to get beyond Roncesvalles on an early start from Saint-Jean.
I re-start from Estella-Lizarra on Tuesday, 3 October with a reasoable fitness level. In case our paths cross, I wont always have a glass of cranberry juice to my mouth.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do not be afraid of being alone in October. From middle of October to beginning of November last year there were a lot of pilgrims on teir way.

I walked in October 2015. Weather very good (a few rain days but not many) and plenty of other pilgrims about. Enjoy!

I walked from SJPP to Orisson on 1 October, and spent the night--but wished that I had continued walking to Roncesvalles! Weather is luck of the draw.

Crossing the Pyrenees....
1 October, beautiful sunny weather--which I views while at Orisson.
2 October, very harsh and cold weather, with clouds moving in and sideways rain. I was crossing the Pyrenees, and arrived at Roncesvalles SOAKED to the skin.
3 October, rather intense wind storm so I understand from others I met later on. Some had to be rescued, I understand.

Forest Gump would say you never know what you're going to get!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Weather is luck of the draw.

2 October, very harsh and cold weather, with clouds moving in and sideways rain. I was crossing the Pyrenees, and arrived at Roncesvalles SOAKED to the skin.
3 October, rather intense wind storm so I understand from others I met later on. Some had to be rescued, I understand.

So if the weather is dicey...go the other way! The pilgrim's office will advise one way or another.

Even if the weather is fine - you might consider it. The Valcarlos way is underrated, and very beautiful. And if you're looking for 'authenticity,' it is the older of the 2 crossings, regardless of what Hollywood might have said.;)

Edit - Given your fitness, if you left at noon you'd probably have no trouble to get to Valcarlos, and the albergue there, by dark. Which would give you a shorter day the next day to get to Roncesvalles, or beyond than if you had started in Orisson.

Last edited:
@ caminodebrita in June 2012 we experienced similar weather conditions on the Pyrenees. A beautiful walk to Orisson, massive hail storm once we'd arrived. Next day light rain turned into driving rain. Arrived Roncesvalles absolutely drenched and very cold.

Just relax about things. It is understandable to feel a little anxious the first time out. Trust us, it soon disappears when the Camino spirit grabs you. You sound seriously fit compared to many of us and we survive! :) Just remember that you will meet, lose, regain and find new friends many times probably. Rarely do people find themselves with the same companions all the way. When you feel you do need someone then just ask. You won't be refused - people understand and care for each other. You will never find anywhere where strangers are so not strangers. Buen Camino

Thank you very much Al for your follow up and advice. "Relax" is probably one of the reason why I need this trip... :p
I'm sure one way or the other, things will all work out as always has in my life but I got a bit worried when I read about how people get injured in the trail due to bad weather...
Thank you very much for putting my mind in ease with your feedback.
Cheers!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not sure how many days weeks you have allowed but if you are getting short of time you could take a bus or train for a small section and gain a bit of time. Main thing is to walk the last 100 km into Santiago. Alternatively do as much as you can this time and return to complete the last 100 km or more another time.

Hello FLEUR. Thank you very much for your response and idea... I forgot that there is an option to not to walk the entire way...
And as you point out, I do not have to reach to Santiago and in such case, that'll give me a good reason/motivation to come back in future...

Cheers!

The vast majority of pilgrims do SJPP-Roncesvalles in one stage -and do well. As you report your fitness condition, to you it will be easy. Anyway, be cautious with weather and follow the pilgrim's bureau advices.
I walked this stage in late September -and I always had other pilgrims in sight, even in short distances.
View attachment 36022

In SJPP, I recommend the albergue Kaserna.

Hello Felipe
Thank you very much for your response and sharing your experience. Yes I'll certainly consult the bureau once I arrive at SJPP and make final decision on which path to take. :)
I also appreciate the recommendation on the albergue in SJPP!

Best regards. :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Staying at Orrisson is definitively not a must if you start from StJean.
It's perfectly feasible (weather permitting) to walk to Roncesvalles in one go. Really. :)

Hello domigee. Thank you very much for your input. OK, so I will just go with the flow and see... For the time being I'll plan not to stay in Orrison. I just read enough posts where people are highly recommending the stay there. But based on what you said as well as others comment, it's a good place to stay but so is other places (e.g. SJPP).
Everybody's journey is unique so I will just go with the flow once I arrive there...

Thank you very much!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@moonyfish hi
Depending on weather on the day getting to Orisson is possible.
But I would not attempt further than that given your ETA at Saint-Jean. Especially as sun set will be about an hour earlier than at present.
Given your fitness level you could expect to get beyond Roncesvalles on an early start from Saint-Jean.
I re-start from Estella-Lizarra on Tuesday, 3 October with a reasoable fitness level. In case our paths cross, I wont always have a glass of cranberry juice to my mouth.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Hello AlwynWellington. Thank you very much for response and advice. Taking forum members advice, I'll take it easy and try not to push too much at the get-go. I'll let my level of tiredness, weather, other external factors determine what to do. :)

If I manage to catch up with you, I shall buy you a glass of cranberry juice. ;)

Whakawhetai oe nui atu

Do not be afraid of being alone in October. From middle of October to beginning of November last year there were a lot of pilgrims on teir way.

Hello ranthr. Thank you very much for sharing your experience. It's very good to know I will likely to see some people on the road around the time I'll be there. :) I hope you had a wonderful experience in your camino...

Cheers!

I walked in October 2015. Weather very good (a few rain days but not many) and plenty of other pilgrims about. Enjoy!

Hello Levi. Thank you very much for your response. How wonderful that you had a good weather!!! I hope the weather this year will be kind to me and fellow pilgrims traveling in October~November... The current forecast looks a bit rainy but I haven't seen storm forecast. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I hope you had a great camino!
Best regards

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from SJPP to Orisson on 1 October, and spent the night--but wished that I had continued walking to Roncesvalles! Weather is luck of the draw.

Hi CaminoDebrita. thank you very much for sharing your experience. I guess mountain weather as well as one's life are just unpredictable as you and ForestG have pointed out. The best I can do is to recognize and accept it, which hopefully be able to master through my camino experience. ;)

So if the weather is dicey...go the other way! The pilgrim's office will advise one way or another.

Even if the weather is fine - you might consider it. The Valcarlos way is underrated, and very beautiful. And if you're looking for 'authenticity,' it is the older of the 2 crossings, regardless of what Hollywood might have said.;)

Edit - Given your fitness, if you left at noon you'd probably have no trouble to get to Valcarlos, and the albergue there, by dark. Which would give you a shorter day the next day to get to Roncesvalles, or beyond than if you had started in Orisson.

Hello VNwalking. Thank you very much for presenting me so many options. :D I'll look into and evaluate each and keep them in mind once I arrive there!
Regarding the Valcarlos, it sounds interesting path to take. Your word against that of Hollywood. It seems pretty clear whose word I should to trust....

Best regards

€149,-
The reason why I'd like to meet other pilgrims is that I'd like to find some people with whom I can walk good part of my way...:(
You might be able to do the walk from SJPP to Orisson in 1-2 hours, but you would be rushing past all those other pilgrims that you wanted to interact with!

If you are walking up to Orisson in the afternoon, there will not be so many people on the path. Also, you should do that only if you have a reservation in Orisson, and you should call them that day to confirm your expected arrival time. The albergue is likely to be full most nights until it closes in mid-October, and you do not want to be up on the mountain at dusk, trying to get to Roncesvalles because Orisson had no bed for you!

In my opinion, the best way to meet other people at the start is to stay the night in SJPP at an albergue such as Beilari, where there is a communal meal and a deliberate effort to help people get to know each other. You should have no problem walking to Roncesvalles the next day, so I'd suggest you relax in SJPP, stay the night, and set off in the morning with people you have met. Make a point of chatting with others on the path and at the albergue in Roncesvalles

After I schedule my dates for this journey, I read that October ~ is low season with possibly very harsh weather (strong wind, rain, etc.). So I'm getting a bit worried about being all alone in the path (e.g. getting injured due to weather, etc. while being by myself)... :(
I have walked the route twice in mid-late October. First time was so windy in the open section that I couldn't wear a hat and my poles were blown around. Otherwise the walk was great! Second time I stayed in Orisson, and the morning was beautiful but very cold (ice on puddles) cold, so gloves and a wool buff were really essential.

There are only a few places on the Camino where there is likely to be "harsh" weather but in October you must be prepared for all conditions from freezing-and-snow to hot-and-dry. Overall, in October the weather is excellent for walking, and there will be plenty of other pilgrims, especially if you leave in the morning at 7 or 8 a.m. (soon after it is light in October). If you want to walk alone, just have a leisurely breakfast and leave later.

Buen Camino Moonyfish !!!!! Enjoy every second of it !!!!

Hi CaminoDebrita. thank you very much for sharing your experience. I guess mountain weather as well as one's life are just unpredictable as you and ForestG have pointed out. The best I can do is to recognize and accept it, which hopefully be able to master through my camino experience. ;)

Let me assure you, it's a great way to test your gear! I was drenched, but I was warm, so it passed :)

Merino wool layers, and an altus rain poncho, along with great vasque boots--my feet stayed 100 % dry, by the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You might be able to do the walk from SJPP to Orisson in 1-2 hours, but you would be rushing past all those other pilgrims that you wanted to interact with!

If you are walking up to Orisson in the afternoon, there will not be so many people on the path. Also, you should do that only if you have a reservation in Orisson, and you should call them that day to confirm your expected arrival time. The albergue is likely to be full most nights until it closes in mid-October, and you do not want to be up on the mountain at dusk, trying to get to Roncesvalles because Orisson had no bed for you!

In my opinion, the best way to meet other people at the start is to stay the night in SJPP at an albergue such as Beilari, where there is a communal meal and a deliberate effort to help people get to know each other. You should have no problem walking to Roncesvalles the next day, so I'd suggest you relax in SJPP, stay the night, and set off in the morning with people you have met. Make a point of chatting with others on the path and at the albergue in Roncesvalles

I have walked the route twice in mid-late October. First time was so windy in the open section that I couldn't wear a hat and my poles were blown around. Otherwise the walk was great! Second time I stayed in Orisson, and the morning was beautiful but very cold (ice on puddles) cold, so gloves and a wool buff were really essential.

There are only a few places on the Camino where there is likely to be "harsh" weather but in October you must be prepared for all conditions from freezing-and-snow to hot-and-dry. Overall, in October the weather is excellent for walking, and there will be plenty of other pilgrims, especially if you leave in the morning at 7 or 8 a.m. (soon after it is light in October). If you want to walk alone, just have a leisurely breakfast and leave later.

Hello C clearly.
Thank you very much for such a detailed response. :) Per others and your recommendation, I managed to make a reservation at Beilari in SJPP on the 29th. So I plan to get good rest on that day and start early in the following day in hope to reach to Roncesvalles (where I've also already made a reservation).
Current forecast shows a good weather on that day so hopefully it'll remain that way...
I will be sure to bring warm cloth as I understand that weather in Oct ~ Nov will be mix of warm and cold plus mountain weather is very precarious.
Thank you very much for your advice!
Best regards.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back