• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer from Cali starting March 6th 2015

KimJ

Time of past OR future Camino
March 6, 2015
Hi Everyone, Thank you all for your invaluable input, information and especially encouragement I have read for all those who have posted. I am new to posting on a forum and to the Camino! So all is unfamiliar & new... I fly from San Francisco and arrive into Madrid March 5th. I plan to take a bus from the airport to Pamplona & I still have not found out yet how to get to St Jean from there. As recommended by veteran peregrinos, I did emailed the Corazon Puro folks (who provide a pick up service from Pamplona to St Jean along with accommodations) BUT they do not open until the end March. Since I only have 3 weeks, I wondering if it's worth making my way to St Jean especially during this time of the year. I would really like to make the effort but I could just see once I get into Pamplona. My intention is to walk the first part of the Camino Frances and finish the second half the following year. With deep gratitude, Kim from north of the Golden Gate

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You have a couple of choices depending on when you arrive in Pamplona. If you arrive in the evening, I'd get a hotel near the bus station. I prefer staying at the Hotel Yoldi. It's only a couple of blocks from the bus station. It's in a totally safe neighborhood, pilgrim friendly, has an English speaking staff, and it's only a couple of blocks from the Plaza del Castillo (the heart of Pamplona). The next morning I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and taxi to SJPP. I could be wrong, and I hope others correct me if I am, but I think the bus service to SJPP from Pamplona is seasonal. You might luck out and find a couple of other pilgrims on the bus who are in the same boat and agree to split a taxi. If you get to Pamplona by mid-afternoon I would just taxi onto SJPP. So when you are waiting for the bus at the Madrid airport, scope out the other passengers in line. Anyone wearing a backpack with pants that zip off at the knees and are carrying trekking poles and are reading Brierley's guidebook are probably pilgrims. Float the idea about a taxi. Get three others to agree and you are set. Buen Camino.

I would suggest the following:
On arrival in Pamplona check how the weather situation is in the Pyrenees and if it is worth/possible to walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles. If it is not possible just take the bus up to Roncesvalles and/or start walking in Pamplona. There is no rule of any kind that you 'have to' start in SJPDP.
Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wondering if it's worth making my way to St Jean especially during this time of the year.
I am always in the minority here, but I recommend starting in Pamplona. To me, crossing the Pyrenees has more negatives than positives, particularly in the winter. There is a bus six days a week from Pamplona to Roncesvalles, so you could start there with very little inconvenience. Snow covered trails are still possible in March on that part of the route. Leaving Pamplona, snow on the trails is very unlikely. Buen camino.

You have a couple of choices depending on when you arrive in Pamplona. If you arrive in the evening, I'd get a hotel near the bus station. I prefer staying at the Hotel Yoldi. It's only a couple of blocks from the bus station. It's in a totally safe neighborhood, pilgrim friendly, has an English speaking staff, and it's only a couple of blocks from the Plaza del Castillo (the heart of Pamplona). The next morning I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and taxi to SJPP. I could be wrong, and I hope others correct me if I am, but I think the bus service to SJPP from Pamplona is seasonal. You might luck out and find a couple of other pilgrims on the bus who are in the same boat and agree to split a taxi. If you get to Pamplona by mid-afternoon I would just taxi onto SJPP. So when you are waiting for the bus at the Madrid airport, scope out the other passengers in line. Anyone wearing a backpack with pants that zip off at the knees and are carrying trekking poles and are reading Brierley's guidebook are probably pilgrims. Float the idea about a taxi. Get three others to agree and you are set. Buen Camino.
Great suggestion Robert, thank you!

I would suggest the following:
On arrival in Pamplona check how the weather situation is in the Pyrenees and if it is worth/possible to walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles. If it is not possible just take the bus up to Roncesvalles and/or start walking in Pamplona. There is no rule of any kind that you 'have to' start in SJPDP.
Buen Camino, SY
Thank you; this is a great feasible option...no rules especially self imposed ones:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am always in the minority here, but I recommend starting in Pamplona. To me, crossing the Pyrenees has more negatives than positives, particularly in the winter. There is a bus six days a week from Pamplona to Roncesvalles, so you could start there with very little inconvenience. Snow covered trails are still possible in March on that part of the route. Leaving Pamplona, snow on the trails is very unlikely. Buen camino.
I really appreciate your input!! Roncesvalles sounds like a very good compromise.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
HI Kim
Roncesvalles is a good option to start the Camino.
For Spanish people Roncesvalles is the preferred place to start the Camino.
In winter time the worst of the ascent is avoided.
But if you can, begin in Saint Jean. Always you remembered this ascent.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
[QUOTE="Mikel Olivares, post: 269409, member: 42823"]HI Kim
Roncesvalles is a good option to start the Camino.
For Spanish people Roncesvalles is the preferred place to start the Camino.
In winter time the worst of the ascent is avoided.
But if you can, begin in Saint Jean. Always you remembered this ascent.
Buen Camino[/QUOTE]
Thank you Mikel; I will just have to see how it goes once there although I like the idea of starting from St Jean. I notice I find security in a plan but I really have to be flexible with the unknown such as weather & transportation.
I am consider staying in Madrid a night the day I arrive then either taking a train or bus to Pamplona the following morning, and then perhaps to Roncesvalles or St Jean. Any recommendations where to stay near train or bus stations in Madrid. It seems the train is more expensive but quicker than the bus.

Hi Kim.
For me es better the train, is a little more expensive, bat is more fast y comfortable.
I don't know a place near to Atocha, but there are several hotels.
If you can, enjoy the Madrid nigthlife.
Buen Camino.

:D:D:D Whats going on here? Are you spamming yourself, Kim?:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kim.
For me es better the train, is a little more expensive, bat is more fast y comfortable.
I don't know a place near to Atocha, but there are several hotels.
If you can, enjoy the Madrid nigthlife.
Buen Camino.
Thank you Mikel!

I start March 3 from saint jean, maybe we will bump into each other. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Robert..
I arrive Madrid from ATL around 10 am the morning of 14 April then to Pamplona and St Jean on the same day. What time might I expect to arrive St Jean?

Thanks in advance...

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back