• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer looking for a good training program

mauveglass

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (Sept/Oct 2012) Portuguese Central (2016), Portuguese Coastal (2018), Del Norte (2020)
Hi all,
I'm starting from Roncesvalles in late Sept, possibly solo, and have been doing a lot of online research. At the present time, I'm looking for a good training program for the trip. I'm planning on 5-6 weeks for the pilgrimage. At the present, I'm walking about 2 miles a day. Any suggestions??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd suggest just getting as many miles into your legs as possible. Most Sundays I do a 30 km walk and when I can I do a second 15km walk through the hills near me. Back to back days if possible. Have been doing this since January. I'm leaving in mid Sept for SJPP. Doing this once a week has already highlighted some weaknesses in my legs. I have a touch of tendonitis in my left knee at the moment. But I want to be able to enjoy the trip, not be knackered at the end of every day, so I figure better to be over prepared than under.

I used the training program here http://www.aussiewalk.com.au/training.htm as the basis of my pre-Camino training in 2010, and will do so again before I walk the St Olav Way later this year. If you have time, start with the 10km program, then start the second, longer distance program. This will allow you to build up gradually from your current 3km or so to the distance you are intending to achieve on the Camino. If you plan to limit yourself to around 20km/day, there is no need to train for the longer distances.

Starting from Roncesvalles, you will have some hilly, possibly muddy terrain in the first few days, so its worth finding a suitable hilly area for some of your training, and increase the weight you are carrying until it is similar to the weight you will be carrying on the Camino.

I don't recommend doing really long distances without building up to them. If you build up to 20km on each of two successive days, on your last two weeks, you should be in the right zone. Doing 30km in training if you are not going to do that on the Camino is not useful, and you increase the risk of small, niggling injuries, or worse, doing something more serious.

Regards,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola and welcome.
We simply kept adding about 50% to our distance over a period of time and carried a part weight pack. Then we built up the pack weight.
Our aim was to be able to walk about 10kms regularly with some 15km days and finally full pack weight.* Most days we will expect to walk about 15kms with a few 20km days. We will be on the Primitivo/Francés with plenty of time so daily distances are different for us, but hopefully this will help your planning. Take time to build up the distances, and also on the first few days actually on the Camino.

*Full pack weight means assuming a hot dry day when you carry everything, including enough water, and wear as little as possible :)
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.