• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first timer; starting in late-feb from pamplona. questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bends

Hi evryone!

Im a first timer on camino. My mom died for a cancer eight months ago and her biggest dream was Camino. So now her 20 years old daughter, me, is going to walk it for her. This is going to be huge thing for me as im doing this for my mom.

I have only two weeks holiday from work and im flying to Madrid in 25th of feb and then taking bus to Pamplona and maybe starting my walk on the next day.

few questions:

Is there many albergues in pamplona and are those easy to find? If i not book a hostel before do i found one or do i found albergues there on saturday?

Do you survive on camino without spanish or is it smart to take wordbook with you?

I have travelled many places including Africa and i never plan my trips. so you can understand that is really hard for me to plan it now :D so do i need to be worried if i dont plan or worrie my trip to Camino?

This is a great site and im glad that ppl are sharing their experiences from camino. Thanks.

Hope theres other pilgrims too at that time!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello bends,

First of all welcome and good luck! I think it is a beautiful way to remember you mum.
I don't know from where you are flying in and how much you will need your rest but there are ample possibilities for cheap hostales in Pamplona. Different albergues too, I stayed in Casa Paderborn.

Regarding spanish language : on the CF you won't per se need to know spanish but it's nice to learn yourself some very basic words. People will appreciate it, but again one can do without.

You certainly will be ok, if you made trips in Africa in an unplanned way you will certainly manage to walk the Camino Frances!
Good luck and keep browsing this forum , it has a wealth of information.

Sabs

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi bends

As Sabine says your experience of unplanned travel will be very useful to you. Preparation is important (make sure you have suitable boots and clothes etc) but planning isn't. You can plan the schedule of your Camino on a day-to-day basis. You'll be aware that some albergues will be closed in February/March, but there will also be fewer pilgrims chasing beds.

Pamplona is a good place to start. You'll pass the pilgrim monument on Alto del Perdon on the first day, and then pass through my favourite part of the whole Camino in Navarra and La Rioja.

I'm not a very religious person, but I went to the pilgrim service in Los Arcos and really enjoyed it. The priest was very pilgrim-friendly and gave us all a prayer card after the mass, which I have kept. If you go to any services I'd recommend that one.

In Pamplona I've only stayed in the albergue near the cathedral and it's nice. I assume they can also give you your pilgrim passport.

Learn a few expressions in Spanish if possible - enough to order a coffee etc, and don't expect everyone in bars or restaurants to speak some English. Some do and some don't.

It's a lovely tribute to your Mum. Buen Camino!

Keith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Bends.

It's lovely that you're celebrating your mums life by walking your Camino. Walking the CF gives you lots of time to remember and reflect. When I was walking I found that my thoughts often turned to my own mother-(who like yours died of cancer when a relatively young woman). So your mum will be present in your heart and mind along the way-sometime in the most unexpected ways!
Walking out of the deep winter of February towards March with it's promise of Spring is a wonderful time to make a journey of this kind.
Bends you sound like a independent and seasoned traveller someone who adapts to, and engages with, any environment you find yourself in as well as being a thoughtful and loving daughter-she did a good job!
And that's the very best tribute your mum could have.

I wish you hearts ease and a joyous Camino.

Nell

Hi Bends,

Welcome to the forum. Doing the Camino will be a lovely way to remember your mother and you will have time to think of all the blessings you have received through her.

You do not say what time of day to hope to arrive in Pamplona. I have never stayed in Casa Paderborn,but hope to this year. There have been so very many good reviews of it here and elsewhere.

However if you are arriving late in the evening it may be full up and it would therefore be wise to book into a hostel. http://www.hostelworld .com will give you a list of hostels. I myself would recommend Hostal Hemmingway. It is less than ten minutes walk from the bus station.

Best of luck with all your preparations. I too would advise learning a little Spanish. It makes life easier

Buen Camino

Lydia

Likewise, welcome and all the best with your camino.
I'm with the other posters that it is not necessary to plan. It is very useful to have a guide book that tells you which albergues are open in winter. I believe the Municipal Albergue in Pamplona, Jesus y Maria, is closed in winter. It was certainly closed when I was there in March 2010. Casa Paderborn is very welcoming and I doubt it will be full in February. Spending the first night with other prgrims is a good start :) However it is difficult to find if you are walking out of Pamplona, you get to a point by the City gate where the arrows disappear, if you wish to stay there I would suggest a taxi from the station.
There are plenty of places to stay in Pamplona and I am sure you will find something even without booking but, IMHO, if you have had a long journey and arrive in the dark in a strange country and don't know the language it is reassuring to, either have booked something, or to know exactly where you are going and how to get there (Casa Paderborn).
After that there will be no problem :)
Buen Camino
Sue

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Casa Paderborn says it opens on March 1. Jesus y Maria opens mid-January most years.

Hm! Before I walked in 2010 the info I found seemed to tell me that there was no albergue open in Pamplona in March, so I planned to stay either at Arre or Cizur Menor, as I ended up with a spare day in Pamplona I did a check and found Casa Paderborn open but 'Jesus y Maria' was deffinately closed, strange being the Holy Year. However it is obviously not a good idea to try and stay in Casa Paderborn in February :oops:

I had a similar experience, in reverse, in Cacabelos, which should have been open in April, on Easter Sunday, but that was shut, it just shows going without a plan may well be the best way :)

so many thanks for evryone!

I got lot of information and courage. I believe that everything is going to be allright even tho i dont plan my trip so much.

I fly from Finland so its only few hours flight so theres not going to be jetlag. I think if theres a good day I will walk few hours at the first day to found a place to be.

Suggestions for o good guide-book for my trip? There should be a good map ja list from albergues?

Thank you everyone!! :)

€46,-
The guide book by the Confraternity of St James on the Camino Frances is updated annually and the 2012 edition will now be on sale.

http://www.csj.org.uk

you do not need to be a member of the Confraternity to order a copy.

In 1998 my father and I started to walk the Camino but he had to give up in Pamplona. He died in October 2010. In December 2010 I walked from Sarria to SdC while wearing his gloves and in memory of Dad. I am sure you will have already thought of this but bring something of your mums to remember her by as you walk, though nothing too valauble in case it gets lost or damaged.

Re: first night at Pamplona

Hi Bends.
I am a member of the Saint James Association which runs the Casa Pamplona.
The refuge Yesús y María is definitely closed until April 1st. But the Casa Paderbvorn is open from March 1st!
You can download a list of accomodations in Pamplona .
Advise: You never can plan the Camino ahead apart tomorrow!
Buen Camino
Jochen

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For my friend Jochen, Bends and pilgrims in general.-

The Pamplona albergue, Jesus y Maria is open from tomorrow January 16.-

I HAVE JUST CALLED FOR TELEPHONE-.
For Bends.- Don´t worry about your Camino, In Pamplona there is not problem, the Albergue es very big and in that dates there are no many peregrinos. - You can sleep the first night in
Pamplona albergue.- I´m sure.-

I live in Pamplona, though my English is very limited if I can help you in something....

Buen Camino.-

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
The guide book by the Confraternity of St James on the Camino Frances is updated annually and the 2012 edition will now be on sale.

http://www.csj.org.uk

you do not need to be a member of the Confraternity to order a copy.

In 1998 my father and I started to walk the Camino but he had to give up in Pamplona. He died in October 2010. In December 2010 I walked from Sarria to SdC while wearing his gloves and in memory of Dad. I am sure you will have already thought of this but bring something of your mums to remember her by as you walk, though nothing too valauble in case it gets lost or damaged.

thank you methodist.pilgrim.98 for your post. I think i find something with me what reminds me of my mother. this was her dream first but now its our dream together and i will walk it my mom with me.
Thank you!

Hello bends,

First of all welcome and good luck! I think it is a beautiful way to remember you mum.
I don't know from where you are flying in and how much you will need your rest but there are ample possibilities for cheap hostales in Pamplona. Different albergues too, I stayed in Casa Paderborn.

Regarding spanish language : on the CF you won't per se need to know spanish but it's nice to learn yourself some very basic words. People will appreciate it, but again one can do without.

You certainly will be ok, if you made trips in Africa in an unplanned way you will certainly manage to walk the Camino Frances!
Good luck and keep browsing this forum , it has a wealth of information.

Sabs
Leave the word book at home and get a translation app. Better still, memorize 40 words /expressions in Spanish which you know you will use.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This thread is from 2012. Pretty sure she has already walked the Camino by now.

The OP has not returned to the forum since 2012.

Much more current information on Albergues and, indeed, translation apps is available elsewhere on the forum.

Thread locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back