• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

February Start: SJPP, Roncesvalles, or Pamplona?

Time of past OR future Camino
February-March 2024
Hello there. I'm Susanne, a church minister on sabbatical, and I'm planning my first camino. I'd appreciate your advice, especially from folks who have walked the Valcarlos Route in winter.

I arrive in Madrid on February 14. Since the Napoleon Route is closed (and also no bus to SJPP), I followed Stephan the Painter's counsel, and I bought tix to get to SJPP via Bayonne.

But . . . in another thread on the Forum some experienced folks advised me just to start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona, not to bother with the mountains in February. It might be overcast then, so no view. Plus the Valcarlos Route is not without risk and pain. Is trekking the Valcarlos in February worthwhile? Please share your thoughts.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked Valcarlos route February 2014.

It’s pleasant path.

There was snow and one fallen tree I had to step over. Otherwise, a very nice day.

If the path gets a bit difficult walk along the highway.

Have a splendid time.

Buen camino.

I think it is entirely up to you where to start. Nothing and yet everything magical about any of these places. At Roncesvalles there may be a pilgrim mass (not sure about winter) if that interests you and there is a daily bus to Roncesvalles from Pamplona. It does not run on Sundays. I attached the last year's schedule which is probably similar and you can probably find it online under the bus company Artieda Autocares

I have not walked through Valcarlos from SJPDP, but there are many who do and I think it will depend on how much snow there is on whether it would be dangerous. You might not know that until shortly before/after you arrive.

Pamplona is also a good place to start. It is a bigger city than the others (which I don't love), but you can source a Spanish sim card there if you need one and there are a variety of options of places to stay from albergue bunk bed to upscale hotels.

Can you just remain flexible and decide once you arrive or do you need to have certainty? Some people are more comfortable with flexibility and others with certainty. A long Camino will help you know for sure by the end in either case. In the winter as long as you are avoiding holidays, you're likely to find a bed in any of these places without a prior booking.

Attachments

• roncesvalles.pdf
    109.9 KB · Views: 6
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is trekking the Valcarlos in February worthwhile?
I've only ever walked via Valcarlos. I have a great affection for that little Basque town and the way in which it gentles me into Camino. I've not walked it as early in the year as February and the Puerto de Ibañeta can be rough in rough weather even if you stick to the road. I had heavy snow one April and was grateful to get to Burguete.

If you already have your tickets go with your original plan.

If you choose to re-jig and start in Pamplona, or even get the bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles and walk from there, all will be well.

I note that this is your "first" Camino. You have a future of possible starting points - take a look at the route from Cadiz and plan accordingly ;)

I walked from SJPDP over the Valcarlos route on 2 January last year. It was overcast part of the way and views were sometimes limited. But that could also be true on the Route Napoleon in July on occasion. I certainly enjoyed my walk regardless. There are no guarantees of good weather at any time. Is the Valcarlos route without risk or pain? - of course not. No Camino is without risk and relatively few will be without at least a little discomfort if not actual pain. Taking chances is part of the experience.

Hi op.
I think it would be nice to start the french camino in France and sjpdp is a nice town with a good pilgrims office. But if it causes you difficulty or expense getting there, start in Roncesvalles.
I didn't do the Valcarlos route so don't have an opinion on it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree entirely with J WIllhaus in post #3, it is entirely up to you. They are all good places to start. I admit I have a bit of affection for Roncevalles because that is where, for various reasons, I have started my past Caminos Frances. But many find great value in the experience of crossing the Pyrenees from France, including by the Valcarlos route.

In general, I would always advise (a) walking as far as you have time to walk and (b) giving yourself more time than you think you will possibly need for the distance you intend to walk, so you don't find any unplanned delays forcing you into a race to Santiago. Hey, I never claimed to be self-consistent! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you were Spanish you would consider Roncesvalles to be the starting point of the Camino Frances. Any start point is arbitrary.

I’ve walked the Frances now five or six times, I’d have to check. (Edit: I did check. Eight) I started from St Jean twice, once by each recognised route. Thereafter I’ve started in Pamplona or - by taking a short taxi ride from there - Zubiri.

The first two days don’t ‘cross’ the Pyrenees so much as go around the edge.

Last edited:
If you were Spanish you would consider Roncesvalles to be the starting point of the Camino Frances.
Much less true than it used to be. Although numbers starting from SJPDP have been fairly steady over the past few years - Covid-excepted - the numbers who choose Roncesvalles as their starting point have plunged over the past 20 years. Now about 1/3 of the numbers at the peak of its popularity and a much smaller percentage of pilgrims overall than in the past. Spanish pilgrims have mostly followed the trend for shorter walks and now start closer to Santiago.

Much less true than it used to be. Although numbers starting from SJPDP have been fairly steady over the past few years - Covid-excepted - the numbers who choose Roncesvalles as their starting point have plunged over the past 20 years. Now about 1/3 of the numbers at the peak of its popularity and a much smaller percentage of pilgrims overall than in the past. Spanish pilgrims have mostly followed the trend for shorter walks and now start closer to Santiago.
Poor wording on my part.

The Spanish might consider Roncesvalles to be the ‘official’ start of the Frances, but might choose not to start from there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello there. I'm Susanne, a church minister on sabbatical, and I'm planning my first camino. I'd appreciate your advice, especially from folks who have walked the Valcarlos Route in winter.

I arrive in Madrid on February 14. Since the Napoleon Route is closed (and also no bus to SJPP), I followed Stephan the Painter's counsel, and I bought tix to get to SJPP via Bayonne.

But . . . in another thread on the Forum some experienced folks advised me just to start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona, not to bother with the mountains in February. It might be overcast then, so no view. Plus the Valcarlos Route is not without risk and pain. Is trekking the Valcarlos in February worthwhile? Please share your thoughts.
Hi,
I arrive in Madrid one day before you for my first camino and considering the length of the SJPP to Roncesvalles stage coupled with winter weather I have decided to start in Roncesvalles.
Hope that works.

Hi,
I arrive in Madrid one day before you for my first camino and considering the length of the SJPP to Roncesvalles stage coupled with winter weather I have decided to start in Roncesvalles.
Hope that works.
Starting in Roncesvalles worked for me. :)

I see you've gotten any good answers to your query, but I'll chime in.

I think the only reason to start in SJPP is if you have it in your mind that that's the "correct" place to start.

I ended up starting from Pamplona in early April 2022, because there was a snowstorm in the Pyrenees. There was snow on the way from SJPP to past Zubiri.

But every year is different. That said, I'm planning to go back and start in SJPP this year because for whatever silly reason I have it in my mind as the "correct" place to start.

But the big advantage of starting in Pamplona or even Roncevalles is that logistically it's just a lot easier to get there if you're already in Spain. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But every year is different. That said, I'm planning to go back and start in SJPP this year because for whatever silly reason I have it in my mind as the "correct" place to start.
You could consider starting in Ostabat instead. It is about 20 km further away from Santiago than SJPP is. According to my guide by Don Elias, it is where the routes from Paris, Vezelay and Le Puy merge and thus might be considered the start of the Camino Frances. It'll give you a day of walking to warm up for the Pyrenees climb and allow you to be smug in front of all the folks who start at SJPP. ;-)

Hi Susanne,

I’ve completed 5 Camino’s (starting my 6th on the 25th) I’ve always walked this time of year as it works best with my schedule and I don’t like hordes of people. Every time I’ve started in SJPP and in the winter you have to walk the Valcarlos route. It’s mainly on the road but it’s really pretty. I would not miss it. You can break it up into two days. SJPP to Valcarlos then Valcarlos to Roncesvalles. Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!

Hi Susanne,

I’ve completed 5 Camino’s (starting my 6th on the 25th) I’ve always walked this time of year as it works best with my schedule and I don’t like hordes of people. Every time I’ve started in SJPP and in the winter you have to walk the Valcarlos route. It’s mainly on the road but it’s really pretty. I would not miss it. You can break it up into two days. SJPP to Valcarlos then Valcarlos to Roncesvalles. Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!
Gianni,
Thanks so much for your reply!
I had already decided to stick with my SJPP start on Feb 16 (and breaking the stage in two as you suggest), but your message boosts my confidence with that decision. I'm happy to hear that the route is very pretty, so pretty that you wanted to repeat it!
Thank you for sharing your advice. I will think of you as I walk.
Best! Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If the weather is agreeable, then I personally would shoot for SJPdP, but you can't go wrong with Roncevalles either. SJPdP elling points for me are that it's a charming village with a lot of history that is tangible and that it has unique character. Roncevalles seems built to receive weary travelers and there's no shortage of history and Camino energy. But my vote would be, conditions permitting, SJPdP.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back