• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer with kid to Camino Primitivo June 2020

InaNewbie2020

firsttimer
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone! Greetings from Jakarta-Indonesia (thanks kiwi mama for encourage me to write in the forum!)

I am Dian, 41 yrs old Indonesian and will do my first walk mother-son (10 yrs old) duo in June 2020. We plan to walk Camino Primitivo (son loves kingdom-war story entailed to it en momma wants some serene along the way). We have around 15-16 days to walk.

Prior to this we climbed couple of mountain in Java (around 6-8 hrs walking per day of 2-3 says). But to wake up and to walk 15-25km everyday for 14-16 days would be a total new experience for both of us. The plan would be walking from 20/06/2020 onward. I try to think bit ahead at the same time try to balance the fear of not getting bed . We do want to be able to use the municipals auberge (except for Oviedo and Lugo) as many as possible yet I do wonder if this possible remembering the busy month according to the stats.

I have looked up at the Gronze and saw the section... there’s quite some etape that more than 25km walking per day. We love walking but I do wonder if there’s any of you might have different itinerary from gronze which sort of do around 17-25 km per day ? Just in case ... after all its our first.

Super thank you for your kind advices.

big hug from durian town,
Team Jakarta

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There’s no need to walk 25 km days. It can be done in 2 weeks or 16 days with stages not exceeding 20km. Plenty of albergues along the way. On this forum there is a separate Camino Primitivo sub-forum Where you can see all the different posts and itineraries that we have done.

Hello everyone! Greetings from Jakarta-Indonesia (thanks kiwi mama for encourage me to write in the forum!)

I am Dian, 41 yrs old Indonesian and will do my first walk mother-son (10 yrs old) duo in June 2020. We plan to walk Camino Primitivo (son loves kingdom-war story entailed to it en momma wants some serene along the way). We have around 15-16 days to walk.

Prior to this we climbed couple of mountain in Java (around 6-8 hrs walking per day of 2-3 says). But to wake up and to walk 15-25km everyday for 14-16 days would be a total new experience for both of us. The plan would be walking from 20/06/2020 onward. I try to think bit ahead at the same time try to balance the fear of not getting bed . We do want to be able to use the municipals auberge (except for Oviedo and Lugo) as many as possible yet I do wonder if this possible remembering the busy month according to the stats.

I have looked up at the Gronze and saw the section... there’s quite some etape that more than 25km walking per day. We love walking but I do wonder if there’s any of you might have different itinerary from gronze which sort of do around 17-25 km per day ? Just in case ... after all its our first.

Team Jakarta
I am just hello and welcome to the forum, Dian. You can see that @alaskadiver is speaking from experience. That should encourage you. All the best, buen camino to you and your son.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found that the extreme terrain of the Primitivo was too much for me and I gave up half way (before Lugo),
then again I was 66 years old doing it.
Many days had elevation gains of 500-600 meters every morning. Very very hilly.
Check out the elevation maps of the Primitivo on this web site:

https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/day-five-camino-primitivo.html

If your son is into history - go to Portugal and start at the Templar Castle in Tomar and do the flat Portuguese Route. There are many options of Camino routes, the Primitivo is beautiful, but the terrain is some of the most extreme of any camino route.

Yes I would agree with everyone here. I have not walked the Primitivo but I walked the Norte and have many friends who have walked the Primitivo. It is from all accounts the hardest of the Caminos. It will also probably be quite hot during that time of the year. The stress of doing those steep hills daily may take its toll on you and your son. Obviously that is speculation. There are lots of wonderful caminos and many different types of terrain. If you want to avoid the crowds of the Frances, the Norte may be a very good option for you. The first week on the Norte is tough but it gets easier and the views are spectacular and you go through lots of beautiful towns and some cities too. I would also recommend downloading the Wisely app and/or the Buen Camino app. They both have GPS and also more choices of albergues. The time of year you are walking the more choices you have the better. Buen Camino.

Team Jakarta
Hi Dian:
My husband and I will be there at about that time after walking the Salvador to get to Oveido. I am sure you know what your son is capable of or he most likely will surprise you! I hope to run into you and your son. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum - :)
We walked the Primitivo when in our 60s and have always walked in May which influenced some of our decisions.
Using gronze as a guide we created our own stages and the only ones that could not be shortened to between 15kms and 20kms is the one from Grandas de Salime to A Fonsagrada and from A Fonsagrada to O Cádabo. Even this can be less if you can stay at Castro, but it needs checking as they take youth camps as priority. Castro is 6kms from Grandas. Great museums in both places, but check opening times. The stage from Castro to A Fonsagrada was the only one where we called a taxi in freezing rain for the final 10kms. The only other long day we took a bus from Paradavella to O Cádabo. Not everyone's choice but it made it do-able. We did not take the Hospitales option but went to Pola De Allande for the night.

Edit - I should add that I found it easier in many ways than the Camino Inglés. Terry had walked the Primitivo in 2009 and we walked the Inglés for me in 2011. His comment was that if I could manage the Inglés I could manage the Primitivo! Having done both I agree with him.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hai everyone! Thanks for the advices! Feel loved by all the concern and advices... Bit discouraged when I saw the blog of Elle on pilgrimtraveler. Especially those bit of Hospitales. Thats tough!!! 🥺 At the same time also inspired from her writing that everyone should walk their own camino. At their speed at their own reflection and push the boundary just a bit everyday :) Thanks for the sharing the hard truth at the same time inspired me lt56ny. I will definitely check that Templar route as an alternative. When it comes to Spain somehow we are in love with Primitivo ;) Thank you Alaskadiver en Tia Valeria for showing how to see Primitivo from the diff perspective. Will look into the route again and see how we are going to make it “interesting” and our Camino:cool: I guess I need to always be open minded and know our limit.I will definitely come back with some itinerary to discuss :) so please have all the patience with us .... and yessssss Suzanne of course we will be delighted if we can meet!!! hope our path will cross on the way to Santiago!! Happy Monday everyone!!

I found that the extreme terrain of the Primitivo was too much for me and I gave up half way (before Lugo),
then again I was 66 years old doing it.
Many days had elevation gains of 500-600 meters every morning. Very very hilly.
Check out the elevation maps of the Primitivo on this web site:

https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/day-five-camino-primitivo.html

If your son is into history - go to Portugal and start at the Templar Castle in Tomar and do the flat Portuguese Route. There are many options of Camino routes, the Primitivo is beautiful, but the terrain is some of the most extreme of any camino route.

Will check this portugal route for sure!!
And those writing of Elle is really helpful. Super thanks Terry!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You should not feel discouraged in any way. If you take your time, and allow for some rest on the stages you will be good. I am planning to walk the Primitivo in May/June - the planning is part of the fun...enjoy.

Dian - I’m going to walk the Primitivo in May. I’m a little concerned about all the up and down but lots of research and advice from this forum have encouraged me. Also there is lots of daylight to walk at that time of year so you can take your time, take lots of breaks (it’s a good way to take pictures) and remember to have a couple of energy bars along for you and your son just in case. You’ll find that people will be looking out for the two of you and will gladly help. I think if the Primitivo is the one that calls you then you should go for it!
Buen Camino!

You should not feel discouraged in any way. If you take your time, and allow for some rest on the stages you will be good. I am planning to walk the Primitivo in May/June - the planning is part of the fun...enjoy.
Thank you Jeff! May you have a great walk at Primitivo and please share your experience with this newbie with some live report!!
Btw I have never been in Spain before so has no experience with Spain’ summer. Really hope my experience with sun here will help a bit. I read the month you walk should be the one of the best month when it comes to weather...so may only great weather for you! Btw how’s your itinerary would be? how long will u be in the trail?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's looking like it will be 14 or 15 days, depending on whether I take a sightseeing/rest day, probably in Lugo, and maybe allow for some bad whether if needed. I will also have somewhat shorter days on the few days that have the greatest changes in elevation. When doing the CF I found that the downhills are much harder on me than going up.

Dian - I’m going to walk the Primitivo in May. I’m a little concerned about all the up and down but lots of research and advice from this forum have encouraged me. Also there is lots of daylight to walk at that time of year so you can take your time, take lots of breaks (it’s a good way to take pictures) and remember to have a couple of energy bars along for you and your son just in case. You’ll find that people will be looking out for the two of you and will gladly help. I think if the Primitivo is the one that calls you then you should go for it!
Buen Camino!
Peligro, Selfie photo en Energy bar! noted. And yes you are right that Spain’s daylight is longer! I forget that part as in Indonesia we have basically only 12 hours light for whatever season! Well we have only rainy and dry season :)
Btw how do you prep yourself for Primitivo when it comes to stamina? Do you do anything spesific? I live in city which well has not so much elevation except stairs of building and MRT. Hit the gym twice a week for one hour elevation and try to walk as walk is possible in this hustle bustle city.
Looking forward to hear your experiences later on at Primitivo!

Ideally I would be on a stairmaster at the gym that I pay for but don't visit. My preparation was lacking for each of my section trips for the Frances. Usually by the end of eight days of walking I was in pretty good shape to have to go home 😂 . I plan to train more this time but I've said that before unsuccessfully.

I do do a pretty good job of sticking to a light pack and that helps a lot. You don't want to hate your backpack. By about my third trip I realized that it was a mistake to bring almost all of the "just in case" items and anything I took for entertainment other than my phone and earbuds was just useless weight. I've really never even listened to music - even in the albergues - and I'm a music NUT. I've got music on as I write this. But while walking I don't want to miss anything - there is just so much to take in even at only 3-4km per hour. I don't want to dull my senses. Once I'm done walking for the day seeing a new town, chatting with fellow pilgrims, eating and resting are all the entertainment I need. And even though I suggested energy bars, don't do like I did at first and weigh yourself down with enough "emergency" food to feed an albergue.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Peligro, Selfie photo en Energy bar! noted. And yes you are right that Spain’s daylight is longer! I forget that part as in Indonesia we have basically only 12 hours light for whatever season! Well we have only rainy and dry season :)
Btw how do you prep yourself for Primitivo when it comes to stamina? Do you do anything spesific? I live in city which well has not so much elevation except stairs of building and MRT. Hit the gym twice a week for one hour elevation and try to walk as walk is possible in this hustle bustle city.
Looking forward to hear your experiences later on at Primitivo!
In training for the CF I totally over-killed it - 700 km with a full pack, though at 67 years felt I needed any advantage I could get. I think 150 km of walking (in the shoes you will wear on the camino) with a full pack if possible - so you know how that feels. Try to find some hills, though the idea of stair stepper (probably without a pack) is a good idea. Found that with the training I was able to work through some foot/blister issues and avoided having to deal with those on the Camino.

Ideally I would be on a stairmaster at the gym that I pay for but don't visit. My preparation was lacking for each of my section trips for the Frances. Usually by the end of eight days of walking I was in pretty good shape to have to go home 😂 . I plan to train more this time but I've said that before unsuccessfully.

I do do a pretty good job of sticking to a light pack and that helps a lot. You don't want to hate your backpack. By about my third trip I realized that it was a mistake to bring almost all of the "just in case" items and anything I took for entertainment other than my phone and earbuds was just useless weight. I've really never even listened to music - even in the albergues - and I'm a music NUT. I've got music on as I write this. But while walking I don't want to miss anything - there is just so much to take in even at only 3-4km per hour. I don't want to dull my senses. Once I'm done walking for the day seeing a new town, chatting with fellow pilgrims, eating and resting are all the entertainment I need. And even though I suggested energy bars, don't do like I did at first and weigh yourself down with enough "emergency" food to feed an albergue.
Hohoho I found a fellow procrastinator :) Peligro, same here!! :cool: I put some social peer pressure to have me to gym 😁 sort of reporting system to my girlfriends and husband on achievement per day on walking dept. Perhaps Jeff should be our Drill Sergeant!!! wohooo 700km definitely a lot of prep but again ... looking at those blisters at pinterest ehm...perhaps over preparation wasn't at all bad thing! I like that tips about incorp backpack to the routine. I did bring the backpack now already twice to office even to client meetings 😂😂😂 since I really want to walk home with it (around 5 km distance). Guess what....I met a fellow Camino prospect at one of those meetings!!! He would like to go for CF next year!! Already suggest him to join the Buen Camino forum. We have a great convo on the importance of the cities from Catholic perspectives....totally love it.

On backpack...I read about the thumb rule of not having it more than 6-7kg-->35-40 litre. Would that be too much already? I just realised that I am "just in case" stage with buying impulse of collecting all the things that I think we will need. Since reading Peligro's reply, I am reading now the packing list of Pilgrimtraveler and StingyNomad to compare and see what really important. Is there 3 things that you realised after couple of walking as "serious items that you have to bring no matter what?"

That's great - going to a business meeting in Jakarta with a backpack and you meet a fellow prospective pilgrim! My neighbors have definitely seen me walking around the neighborhood with a backpack. 😄

As for size, I walked St. Jean to Logroño, Burgos to Leon, and Sarria to Santiago in July/August with a 30 liter pack. I only carried a mummy liner to sleep in so I had enough room. I walked Logroño to Burgos and Leon to Sarria in January with a 60 liter pack with the brain removed so something less than 60. I carried a lightweight winter-rated sleeping bag so it doesn't weigh much but it takes a lot of room.

I haven't decided which combination I'm taking for the Primitivo in May. I've kept either pack at or below 9 kg with two liters of water so 7 kg without water. I'm 80 kg (176 lbs) and 178 cm (5'10") and I'm probably carrying more than necessary weight for my size.

Things that are must haves for me:

Poles. I never used them in my life but after descending the Pyrenees without poles I became a believer. It's a pain to fly with them - I've done it but there is always a risk of having to check your backpack or lose the poles. This time I am going to buy poles after two days walking at the Decathlon in Oviedo (I'm starting in Amandi just outside Villaviciosa).

Towel. Not much risk you would forget this. I have a cheap microfiber towel just large enough to wrap around my waist in case it's a coed situation. It has almost always been dry in the morning and the couple of times it hasn't it's easy to hang outside the pack.

Rain gear that works for you. This has been more important for my two January trips when I've also worn rain pants the whole time. Both of my packs have raincovers and I always have a rain jacket that is my shell/windbreaker. Some people have a poncho that covers them and their backpack that seems like a good idea but I've never tried it.

Albergue shoes. I carry Crocs because they are so light and I wear them with clean socks in the albergue and out on the town - even if I go for a fancy meal or visit a church. I might look silly but my feet are happy.

Don't stress yourself out too much. I've seen pilgrims who carry a hairdryer and they are perfectly happy. I even met a group who took turns carrying a rice cooker. They were glad they had it. If anybody tells you you're not "doing it right" they have missed the whole point. There is no wrong way to do the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One last thought I forgot. Get your son a backpack he absolutely loves - he's going to be spending a lot of time with it. You can share toiletries etc which will cut down on weight and volume. It's amazing how quick it all adds up. I walked from Roncesvalles to Pamplona with a big group including kids when my daughter was 11 and my wife and I carried the shared items and my daughter just carried her mummy liner, her towel, and her clothes.

how
One last thought I forgot. Get your son a backpack he absolutely loves - he's going to be spending a lot of time with it. You can share toiletries etc which will cut down on weight and volume. It's amazing how quick it all adds up. I walked from Roncesvalles to Pamplona with a big group including kids when my daughter was 11 and my wife and I carried the shared items and my daughter just carried her mummy liner, her towel, and her clothes.
Noted! We saw an Osprey that he likes last weekend. 28 litte Escapist or something like that. I am tryinh to convince him to hv a smaller litres. How about shoes? I got good advice on using Keen for kids (based on Kiwi’s experience) but seems the brand is not big in Jakarta. What shoes the best? trail run or running shoes? Hiking boots mostly with gore tex so i think its a no no.

Thanks!

how

Noted! We saw an Osprey that he likes last weekend. 28 litte Escapist or something like that. I am tryinh to convince him to hv a smaller litres. How about shoes? I got good advice on using Keen for kids (based on Kiwi’s experience) but seems the brand is not big in Jakarta. What shoes the best? trail run or running shoes? Hiking boots mostly with gore tex so i think its a no no.

Thanks!
I've walked in Solomon trail runners, Asolo goretex below ankle and Asolo goretex above ankle. I think this time I'll wear the waterproof above ankle Asolos because I've heard it will be muddy in May on the Primitivo. If you can't find Keen in Jakarta, do they have Merrill? My wife's Merrills are very similar to my daughters Keens. I wore Merrill until literally the soles came unglued and they were still waterproof. I still have them and keep them in the garage as slip ons for taking out the trash, etc.

BTW my wife has a 20 liter Osprey that she carried for our short Frances trip and it's great! My 60 is also an Osprey and I love it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Peligro I walked the Primitivo last May in sandals. No problem. Some days were cold/snowy/rainy/windy - and I was forced to put on my waterproof and warm Sealskinz socks.

In h
Shoes - brand doesn’t matter. Use whatever is comfortable!
Walking ala traditional Javanese Pilgrim! No shoes nor sandals. Comfortable seems indeed the key yet because I have no clue on how hot Spain would be at that time nor the trail made of makes me bit wary and I guess overthink on things I can control Once I am in Spain, I might trade Salomon and wear Sandal Jepit (flipflop) as that's my most comfortable way to walk! 🙃 @Peligro, Merril is a good tips but this one just like Keen are the brand that not yet massive here. Salomon is more usual to found in addition to NorthFace but our son most likely has to use women's size these brands the chosen one ... he's in no man land at this moment. Too small for kid's foot size and too small for those of adult's.

Btw yes! Osprey rules!!! definitely love that Osprey my son will have...everything so...thoughtful! I myself use Eiger, an Indonesian brand. Let's see if I tempted to buy new one for me 😁 I guess consumerism indeed a plague in this kind of trip for some amateur like me:cool::cool::cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Peligro I walked the Primitivo last May in sandals. No problem. Some days were cold/snowy/rainy/windy - and I was forced to put on my waterproof and warm Sealskinz socks.
That’s good news! Given the weather you mention I’m assuming I won’t be able to get away with just a mummy liner and I should take my sleeping bag?

I walked the Primitivo without a sleeping bag in the last week of May / first week of June 2018. My memory is that all albergues had enough blankets and I didn't regret not carrying one. Actually I have never carried a sleeping bag and remember being colder on the Madrid (one night in particular) in early April than on the Primitivo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've walked in Solomon trail runners, Asolo goretex below ankle and Asolo goretex above ankle. I think this time I'll wear the waterproof above ankle Asolos because I've heard it will be muddy in May on the Primitivo. If you can't find Keen in Jakarta, do they have Merrill? My wife's Merrills are very similar to my daughters Keens. I wore Merrill until literally the soles came unglued and they were still waterproof. I still have them and keep them in the garage as slip ons for taking out the trash, etc.

BTW my wife has a 20 liter Osprey that she carried for our short Frances trip and it's great! My 60 is also an Osprey and I love it!

@Peligro quick update on shoes department -- able to find something that master of all blisters, davebugg, recommended for shoes! yippie i got myself a Hoka One Speedgoat 3. It's really thick sole but at the same time comfortable. Will test run it with walking some trail pretty soon. Salomon trail was super cool but its bit too tight for my feet during my try-out hence Hoka Speedgoat. I think my son will use his usual Columbia, he was so adamant about it. Keen and Merril no luck to find here (yet). On bag we decided of Osprey Escapist for my boy and I will borrow my friend's Tempest. You are right on Osprey!

I try to put more walking to our daily dose of activities. I think I am walking now at the average 7-8 km per day which way more than my usual 2-3 km (Jakarta is not the best city for walker hahaha too many people too many cars amd motorcycle). Hopefully I can do 3-4 days walking around 15 km distance in march and april to test equipments and myself :)

@everyone else --> since i am walking in late of june to first week of july, do you think it's make sense to book ahead? or at least in certain cities? love to hear your thoughts.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.