• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First-timers seeking advice for trip on the 30th of June :)

mads1701

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned: Portuguese Camino
Hi Fellow Pilgrims and hikers!

Two friends and I are going to Porto to walk the Camino for the first time – can’t wait! I was hoping to get some advice from some of you more experience ones, whom have walked either Portuguese Central or costal route – or even better both! We will be flying to Porto on the 30th of June and back the 10th of July.

Much appreciated if we could get some thoughts / reflections on below 😊

• Costal or Central – the big question.. As we all love water but also would like the more traditional Camino spirit, we thought of a mix. Costal until Camimha and then from Tui Central. Would that be good mix or are we missing vital highlights etc?
  • Anyone have experience walking from Camimha – Tui/Valenca? I cant seem to find that much on this particular stage, might because it is "just" a linking route.
  • As seen from the proposed itinerary, we do not have that long time which will mean some long stretches on some days. 30 years old, in fairly good shape and maybe a bit naïve, we think it will be very doable. Do you think the itinerary looks good? Any tips or comments are HIGHLY appreciated.
  • To get a head start given the limited time we will go directly to Vila de Conde and start from there instead of Porto. Does any have experience getting from the Airport to Vila de Conde?
  • How much time would be appropriate to have in Santiago de Compostela? Half to full day?

High-level preliminary itinerary:
Day 0: Arrive in Porto Airport at 18.00. Get transportation to Vila de Conde – starting point.
Day 1: Vila de conde – Castelo do Neiva or Viana Do Castelo.
Day 2: Castelo do Neiva or Viana Do Castelo – Caminha
Day 3: Camimha – Tui/Valenca
Day 4: Tui – Redondela
Day 5: Redondela – Pontevedra
Day 6: Pontevedra – Caldas de Rei
Day 7: Caldas de Reis – Padrón
Day 8: Padrón to Santiago de Compostela
Day 9: Going back to Porto by BUS. Spend the rest of the day in Porto
Day 10: Day in Porto – fly home at 16.00

Thanks a lot in advance for any comments, tips or questions! Hope to see some of you out there in beginning of July! :)

Best regards
Mads

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Two friends and I are going to Porto to walk the Camino for the first time – can’t wait! I was hoping to get some advice from some of you more experience ones, whom have walked either Portuguese Central or costal route – or even better both! We will be flying to Porto on the 30th of June and back the 10th of July.

• Costal or Central – the big question.. As we all love water but also would like the more traditional Camino spirit, we thought of a mix. Costal until Camimha and then from Tui Central. Would that be good mix or are we missing vital highlights etc?
  • Anyone have experience walking from Camimha – Tui/Valenca? I cant seem to find that much on this particular stage, might because it is "just" a linking route.
  • As seen from the proposed itinerary, we do not have that long time which will mean some long stretches on some days. 30 years old, in fairly good shape and maybe a bit naïve, we think it will be very doable. Do you think the itinerary looks good? Any tips or comments are HIGHLY appreciated.
  • To get a head start given the limited time we will go directly to Vila de Conde and start from there instead of Porto. Does any have experience getting from the Airport to Vila de Conde?
  • How much time would be appropriate to have in Santiago de Compostela? Half to full day?

Day 0: Arrive in Porto Airport at 18.00. Get transportation to Vila de Conde – starting point.

Thanks a lot in advance for any comments, tips or questions! Hope to see some of you out there in beginning of July! :)

Best regards
Mads
You obviously know your own limits but from my records Vila de Conde to Viana do Castelo is about 55km - on your first day? Even if you break it at Castelo do Neiva that's still 42km - a long first day followed by a second day of 43km to Caminha?

I walked it at about the same time of year in 2016 and we were getting daily temperatures in excess of 32degrees and we were drinking about 3 litres of water a day.

You might want to consider shorter legs at first.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Heja
många fragor !

the Connection Caminha to Valença do Minho and Tui is a beautiful walk along the Minho river. It is a new path, the Ecopista what starts directly after you left Caminha
After 15 kms you can stay overnight in Vila Nova de Cerveira where is a private albergue
Valença is beautiful. I advise to stay there and enjoy the Portuguese style of life, the food etc It has an interessant fortress and views on the river and Spain at the opposite side and the fanouscbridge between Portugal and Spain built by Ferdinand Eiffel who also built the Eiffel tower in Paris and the famous landmark bridge in Porto

if you are in the 30th it is ambitious but doable if you like so many kms a day, being tired , early in bed and early waking up and walking again and again and again
I think you’ll miss something of the atmosphere of the caminho and all what the caminho provides. In my opinion you can tell at home to everybody that you walked the caminho, can show your Compostela and certificate of Distance with 260 kms on but when they ask you what you have seen…..? Hmmm

except for Viana do Castelo and Caminho it is just coast like your coasts in Jylland From Esbjerg to Løkken .holiday resorts, sea, waves sandy beaches Nothing wrong with that. I love the coastal but…
the cultural path and sightseeing you’ll find in the towns on the central path

If I were you I should start e.g. in Valença or Tui (take the train to Valença or better take the bus from Porto (ALSA bus) stay overnight in Braga. Beautiful town, world famous landmark on the world heritage list , the sanctuary Bom Jesus do Monte
Enjoy the beautiful town and next day take the bus to Valença and start walking in a slower pace without the smoke coming off you soles.
But these are my two cents and I walked both routes Coastal and Central 5 times
Bom caminho
Godt tur

med vänliga hâlsningar

Last edited:
Welcome, and buen camino. I am not at all equipped to advise for the first three days, but from day 4 I can see you will have little problem if any. We allowed 12 days from Oporto, you do not have that. The first day from Oporto to Vila do Conde is a delight. Friends did it in ten days, but had to rest for 2 days in the middle because of how hard they pushed themselves!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Best regards
Mads
Vila do Conde to Viana do Castelo 45 kms
viana to Caminha 24 kms
Caminha to Tui 30 kms
Tui to Redondela 30 kms ( better to go to Cessantes to albergue o Refuxio de la Jérezana +4 kms
Redondela to Pontevedra 20 kms
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 20 kms
Caldas to Padron 20 kms
Padron to Santiago 24 kms

You obviously know your own limits but from my records Vila de Conde to Viana do Castelo is about 55km - on your first day? Even if you break it at Castelo do Neiva that's still 42km - a long first day followed by a second day of 43km to Caminha?

I walked it at about the same time of year in 2016 and we were getting daily temperatures in excess of 32degrees and we were drinking about 3 litres of water a day.

You might want to consider shorter legs at first.
Hi Jeff! Thanks for the input! I did not think the first couple of walks was that long actually.. I think it depends on which site you relay on.. But If they actually are that long, then you are right!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Heja
många fragor !

the Connection Caminha to Valença do Minho and Tui is a beautiful walk along the Minho river. It is a new path, the Ecopista what starts directly after you left Caminha
After 15 kms you can stay overnight in Vila Nova de Cerveira where is a private albergue
Valença is beautiful. I advise to stay there and enjoy the Portuguese style of life, the food etc It has an interessant fortress and views on the river and Spain at the opposite side and the fanouscbridge between Portugal and Spain built by Ferdinand Eiffel who also built the Eiffel tower in Paris and the famous landmark bridge in Porto

if you are in the 30th it is ambitious but doable if you like so many kms a day, being tired , early in bed and early waking up and walking again and again and again
I think you’ll miss something of the atmosphere of the caminho and all what the caminho provides. In my opinion you can tell at home to everybody that you walked the caminho, can show your Compostela and certificate of Distance with 260 kms on but when they ask you what you have seen…..? Hmmm

except for Viana do Castelo and Caminho it is just coast like your coasts in Jylland From Esbjerg to Løkken .holiday resorts, sea, waves sandy beaches Nothing wrong with that. I love the coastal but…
the cultural path and sightseeing you’ll find in the towns on the central path

If I were you I should start e.g. in Valença or Tui (take the train to Valença or better take the bus from Porto (ALSA bus) stay overnight in Braga. Beautiful town, world famous landmark on the world heritage list , the sanctuary Bom Jesus do Monte
Enjoy the beautiful town and next day take the bus to Valença and start walking in a slower pace without the smoke coming off you soles.
But these are my two cents and I walked both routes Coastal and Central 5 times
Bom caminho
Godt tur

med vänliga hâlsningar
Hi Albertinho! Great insights, thanks! :)
At first we wanted to do the full coastal route, but we figured out the same as you are saying that it is too much beach. Don't you think if we enter the Central route at Tui that we will get the "real" camino experience even tho we use a couple of day at the coastal to begin with? :)

Welcome, and buen camino. I am not at all equipped to advise for the first three days, but from day 4 I can see you will have little problem if any. We allowed 12 days from Oporto, you do not have that. The first day from Oporto to Vila do Conde is a delight. Friends did it in ten days, but had to rest for 2 days in the middle because of how hard they pushed themselves!
Hi Kirkie. Not sure I entirely understand what you mean by us having a little problem at day 4? :)

Vila do Conde to Viana do Castelo 45 kms
viana to Caminha 24 kms
Caminha to Tui 30 kms
Tui to Redondela 30 kms ( better to go to Cessantes to albergue o Refuxio de la Jérezana +4 kms
Redondela to Pontevedra 20 kms
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 20 kms
Caldas to Padron 20 kms
Padron to Santiago 24 kms
Again thanks! Would you have any good source you normally plan the trips from? apps or alike that is recommendable? :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jeff! Thanks for the input! I did not think the first couple of walks was that long actually.. I think it depends on which site you relay on.. But If they actually are that long, then you are right!
Mads, those were the distances I recorded on my GPSr and added to my (now defunct) blog.

Again thanks! Would you have any good source you normally plan the trips from? apps or alike that is recommendable? :)
Apps: my two go to apps for the portugues where: camino.ninja and maps.me. I would plan with the first and then put these points on maps.me which allowed me to have the route offline in case i got lost. which is very hard to do as the signing was excellent (on the coastal). I did 30+km days and even as a runner and walker that was still hard. (maybe i'm not used to flat :cool: ).
But go for it! you may have to adapt, but that's why you're doing it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Best regards
Mads
Even if you are fit, do you know how your body reacts to walking those distances, in the heat, on hard surfaces, every day?

Best regards
Mads
Just returned from walking Porto to Santiago last week. I've walked several longer camino in the past and had walked the Camino Portuguese from Porto once before as well. I was hobbled by the heat and humidity. This was never an issue for me ever, but it was hot early in the day and scorching by the afternoon hours. We had to carry lots and lots of (heavy) water to stay hydrated. Your itinerary seems quite ambitious even if you are 30 years old and in decent shape. I'm not sure you've considered that this is a bit more than a 'walk' with some substantial inclines and declines on many days and the cobblestoned hard surfaces that you encounter most of the trek. Please research the temps, the terrains, and the climbs and work that into your proposed route. ( also, Redondela has a brand new albergue that is delightful run by a very proud father and daughter...with AIR CONDITIONING! ...A Rotunda )

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back