• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying from Canada to Madrid with my dog Tess - arriving Madrid on Sept. 3

Lynn Hackett

Time of past OR future Camino
Will walk for the first time starting September 2015.
I am retiring this summer and will be walking the Camino Frances with my dog Tess. She is a great outdoor dog and has lots of energy but is so gentle and people friendly (Border Collie/Lab cross). We arrive at Madrid Airport on September 3 and I have searched for ways to get to SJPP by bus or train but they will not allow Tess as she is over 10 kg. so I am hoping to connect with people who would be willing to share transportation from Madrid to SJPP. I have six months to do the Camino and travel around before flying back to Canada in March 2016 so I am really looking forward to meeting people and just taking my time to walk the Camino and enjoy the beauty of the country. If anyone is arriving in Madrid airport on September 3 and wants to share travel expenses - I am looking to get to SJPP. Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What a great journey this will be for Tess and yourself! Hopefuĺly all will go well but please be aware that most albergues on the caminos do not accept pets. Do you need special papers to bring a dog into Europe? As a Canadian citizen do you need a special visa to stay in the Schengen European community for more than 3 months? I know that US citizens do need such a visa.

Happy planning and Buen camino !

MM

Bringing Tess along on the Camino is not a good idea. You will have problems with accommodation all the way, no albergue, no pension, no hotel will admit a dog, neither do restaurants, churches, shops. Spaniards have a very different attitude toward dogs! Plus, you risk to encounter vicious farmer- and guard dogs on the way, that might shred Tess to pieces. I am not sure what veterinary restrictions (even quarantine) you'll encounter at the border, inquiry is absolutely necessary and be aware that what goes for France might not go for Spain.
Do yourself and Tess a big favor: Leave her in good hands at home.

Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am also a dog owner & I love our Tessa very much. Yet Pano makes a strong case for leaving your best freind at home. Animals in Spain are very seldom seen as companions, typically they are ignored, chained, very few are in good condition as you will see them with dysentery, mange & quite frankly abused. You will find them hunting stray cats for food. I would be very certain if you take Tess to keep her on a leash. She will get torn up if she gets on most properties. That is the animal side.

The humans other than cultures like ours that we take them with us like children. Will simply not accept them, so you may find yourself without shelter. Do yourself & Tess a favor. I found enough cats & dogs to give affection to as I walked. That may be part of your calling.

Regardless of what you decide I wish you the best.
Keith

I agree with PANO - leave Tess at home.

Working at Rabanal del Camino in 2002 a Spanish couple came through with their dog. They found very few refugios would allow them in with their dog.

It had been a very hot day (July) so we took pity on them and, with the agreement of the other walkers in the bunkhouse/annex allowed them to stay.

What we didn't expect was for them to tie the dog up outside in the huerta.

Not only did the dog bark all night it started all of teh dogs in the village barking too.

Eventually I got up and untied the dog and let it into the building - perfect peace!

We vowed after that no more dogs!

Do your dog a favor and leave her at home. Have a look around the dog related threads here and you see that there are many good reasons not to take a dog on the Camino. SY

PS Unless you hold a second passport that allows different, as a Canadian citizen you are only allowed to stay 3 months in the Schengen area.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a border collie called Madeleine and we will also start our Camino on the beginning of September. Maybe we will met on the route :)

We will arrive to SJPP by train from Budapest, Hungary, but I don't know how will we get back to France because of what you write - it's not possible to take bigger dogs on trains or buses in Spain. Unfortunately I can not help you in this. If you would fly to France you could travel to SJPP by train.

I think you shouldn't leave your dog at home if you know her well enough and you think she can do the route without any problem. Most dogs I won't take to the Camino - but I will take mine! Because she is that type who can do this - travelling, walking all days, sleeping every day elsewhere, etc...

Although I don't have any experiences yet, I reccommend you to bring a tent with you, I will also bring one.

Hope to see you there! Buen Camino

I have a border collie called Madeleine and we will also start our Camino on the beginning of September. Maybe we will met on the route :)
We will arrive to SJPP by train from Budapest, Hungary, but I don't know how will we get back to France because of what you write - it's not possible to take bigger dogs on trains or buses in Spain. Unfortunately I can not help you in this. If you would fly to France you could travel to SJPP by train.
I think you shouldn't leave your dog at home if you know her well enough and you think she can do the route without any problem. Most dogs I won't take to the Camino - but I will take mine! Because she is that type who can do this - travelling, walking all days, sleeping every day elsewhere, etc...
Although I don't have any experiences yet, I recommend you to bring a tent with you, I will also bring one.
Hope to see you there! Buen Camino
Sorry PankaMadeleine and at the risk of being reprimanded here for using strong language: You. Don't. Know. What. You.Are.Talking About. You are doing a terrible service to Lynn...and to yourself. Yes, with a dog on the camino, you will definitely need a tent, – if you find a location to set it up–, but then you are young, whereas Lynn is a lady of a certain age, she will hardly endure.
As Keith so rightly pointed out above, dogs enjoy little or no empathy from Spaniards and more so in rural areas such as where the Camino leads through. For the sake of your pet and of yourself: LEAVE IT AT HOME!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lynn and PankaMadeleine, please don't do this - seriously. I am walking the Camino Frances at the moment (Burgos today) and have met many dogs so far. Most that I have seen have not been in poor condition or obviously ill-treated as commented above, but they have their territory and make sure you know it. Strange dogs passing by even on the leash can get a whole village full of dogs barking! The bigger farm and guard dogs I have seen have usually been chained or penned, but not all. And the little yappy ones run around everywhere. Whether or not your dogs would be attacked (and this seems likely) you would be taking them through other dogs' territory constantly. This is confronting and upsetting for the local dogs, and surely would be for yours if it was a constant occurrence. Being gentle and people friendly is unfortunately not the point.

Also, being a great outdoor dog is very different from being expected to walk for hours on end day after day on surfaces which are mostly hard, very often stony (sharp small stones). I don't know why a dog would do that willingly. I find them uncomfortable in my thick soled shoes!

Please don't take this as discouragement to yourselves. Walking the Camino is a wonderful experience for humans and I encourage you to do it. But please, leave your dogs at home.

Buen camino!

I agree wholeheartedly with the posts above that say please don't do this to your dogs!
In the cool of March this year, I met an Italian peregrino from time to time who was walking with his 2 dogs, one of which was a BC, the other a cross. They were country dogs, unused to city conditions, which are so hard on dogs' feet (hot pavements and roads).
They were wiped out by the time they got to Santiago, and had had several medical emergencies along the way...
As someone who has had many dogs in her life, including beloved Border Collies (and who very much understands the bond you have with Tess, believe me)--I would say do her a huge favor and leave her at home. You may not be able to cope with the separation so well, but she'll be fine. ;)

Hi I just returned today from CF
One lady I met from Madrid walking with her dog went home because of most of the issues discussed above. It's no a wilderness hike and her main issue was accomodation and her dog's foot problems. I didn't ask about other dogs but you do pass close by to farm dogs that may be unchained.
Perhaps there are some members who could chime in who have walked a dog.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry to chime in with a don't do it, but I have seen a few people with dogs on the Camino, have asked some how it has been and I always get a negative responce, usually along the lines of the dog is finding it hard on the pads and no places would take them in.

If you still want to do it, think about camping and maybe taking a trailer instead of a backpack, the dog could rest and climb onto it when the surfaces are red hot

Buen Camino

I found enough cats & dogs to give affection to as I walked. That may be part of your calling.

It was definitely part of mine. Some dogs and cats were very receptive to affection since, it seems, they don't receive much on a daily basis. We have several pictures of us and our new furry friends. Including a goat in Foncebadon!
That being said, most of the dogs and cats saw humans as a threat and were not interested in any attempts at affection. We only saw one dog that was minimally aggressive although I've heard lots of stories.

Ron

Last edited:
I am retiring this summer and will be walking the Camino Frances with my dog Tess. She is a great outdoor dog and has lots of energy but is so gentle and people friendly (Border Collie/Lab cross). We arrive at Madrid Airport on September 3 and I have searched for ways to get to SJPP by bus or train but they will not allow Tess as she is over 10 kg. so I am hoping to connect with people who would be willing to share transportation from Madrid to SJPP. I have six months to do the Camino and travel around before flying back to Canada in March 2016 so I am really looking forward to meeting people and just taking my time to walk the Camino and enjoy the beauty of the country. If anyone is arriving in Madrid airport on September 3 and wants to share travel expenses - I am looking to get to SJPP. Thanks!
Hi Lynn, at first I thought that doing the camino with your dog would be an awesome adventure. However after reading so many blogs from "veteran members" advising against this, I would have to side with them and recommend not taking her.
Being from the Rockies, I know how great it is to do hikes and camp with your best buddy, but walking across Spain is a different kettle of fish.
I'll be walking Sept/Oct also and hope to see you down the road. Keith P.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry to chime in with a don't do it, but I have seen a few people with dogs on the Camino, have asked some how it has been and I always get a negative responce, usually along the lines of the dog is finding it hard on the pads and no places would take them in.

If you still want to do it, think about camping and maybe taking a trailer instead of a backpack, the dog could rest and climb onto it when the surfaces are red hot

Buen Camino

My experience has been similar to Mike's. In three walks along the Camino Frances, I can think of about 8-10 dogs I've seen, and I've spoken to a few of their pilgrim owners. One man had reached Pamplona with his dog but was planning to send her back home to France because she wasn't doing well (his partner was on her way to pick up the dog and take her home). Another man who I met just after Rabanal told me that if he had it to do over again, he would have left his dog at home because it was having a really hard time. The dog looked a little worn out, though well taken care of.

It's taxing on a dog's paws and energy level to walk the varied kind of terrain on the Camino (with all its ups and downs) for several hours each day, especially in summer heat. Your decision to start in September, Lynn, is easier with regard to the weather, but in my experience it can still often be 30-35°C in the afternoons through most of that month (on the Meseta for example), with hot walking surfaces.

As for Panka's idea of taking a tent, it's possible -- I've seen some guys do it -- but it's more weight than I've ever thought I could manage easily (or would want to have to). And I have only known of one albergue where dogs were permitted, though there may be others. That was at the end of the journey in Fisterra, where some Camino "rules" tend to be a little more relaxed.

I'm sure Tess is a lovely, friendly dog. She sounds beautiful. Maybe all the more reason to think twice about bringing her with you? And yes, whatever your decision, the Schengen rules about only being allowed 90 days at a time (out of every 180 days) in countries like France and Spain can be tricky to plan around! In 2012 I spent time in Ireland and England during my four and a half month trip, to avoid overstaying in the Schengen area. Another Canadian friend of mine spent time in Romania for the same reason. But maybe you already know about that, or it's not something you need to consider.

Buen Camino! And happy soon-to-be retirement. :)

The fact that you are having logistical issues with finding transportation for your dog is a sign right there.
I read one blog about someone walking with their dog and complained about how dogs were not as welcomed in Spain, it's not your home country, so don't expect Spain to cater to how things are done at home.

Hi Lynn,

I hope you are not too depressed or discouraged by the comments above, but as a dog lover I thought I should put in my tuppence worth.

I walked the Norte a while back and met a lovely Spanish guy who was walking with two dogs. Most alberges would let him stay, but on condition that the dogs slept outside. I got up in the middle of the night to go for a pee, and saw him gesturing through the glass front door, could I please let him in? Apparently a horse had appeared in the field over the road, the dogs had started barking loudly, so he had got out of bed and gone outside to calm them, only for the door to shut and auto-lock behind him. He had been sitting outside in just his boxer shorts, freezing cold for over an hour, by the time my bladder propelled me out of bed. When I saw him again a few days later, one of his dogs was not doing well with the walking and he was in the position that he would have to give up the camino and head home. Similarly, when staying at the monastery in Sobrado, a couple were told they could stay, but their dog had to sleep in the open cloister, just outside the dormitory door. There were a lot of walkers in the dorm, many of whom needed to get up and go for a pee during the night, but the dog barked loudly every time, resulting in a sleepless night for everyone in the dorm. By the morning both they and the dog were extremely unpopular.

I seem to recall hearing of a pilgrim who had lost their dog on the camino and was understandably upset and worried and asking for help to find it, but had not been reunited with it.

I would urge you to rethink your plans for the sake of yourself and Tess.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Listen to the veteran Camino walkers. They know. Really.

On the other hand, if you'd like to hike in Oregon with your dog, we treat dogs like family here, completely different than they are treated in Spain. Please listen to the people who have experience, however.

On a side note, Tryon Creek park is near my home in Oregon; I saw a dog with her ear ripped after a confrontation with another dog. I no longer take my dogs to Tryon Creek. I would never risk putting my dogs in a dangerous situation. It is unfair to the animal.

Not sure bringing your dog is a good idea. Some sections of the Camino Frances in Galicia pass through some small towns\hamlets which have German Shepard dogs loose in them. They don't pay much attention to Pilgrims as we pass through but not sure they would be happy to see Tess.

Agree - leave your dog at home. Just don't Johnny Depp to look after her, she may end up in Australia facing the death penalty. (If anyone is asking - google Depp - he brought his two dogs into our country illegally - it will end up costing him around half a million and possibly a jail sentence if the maximum penalty is applied!!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Saint Mike II, that seems a rather stiff price to pay for two "border" collies, ha ha! Breakin' the law, breakin' the law....

It's sad that the rich and famous consider themselves and their canines to be above the law, isn't it? He probably could have legally brought them in with not much fuss.

I am also a dog lover but would not consider bring mine along for all the reasons mentioned above. I have seen many who do bring their dog along, witnessing 5 different people who were forced to turn back as their pets weakened and lost weight as they progressed. Should you still be tempted and do bring Tess along, watch her weight! The first clue that all is not right. The expense of a kennel at home for a month will far out weigh the worries and frustrations of bringing Tess with you.

Also consider the stress for her being in a cage during a long distance flight in the freight room. Just imagine your dog would have all the necessary information and could make its own decision and communicate it to you: What do you think your dog would want? SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Saint Mike II, that seems a rather stiff price to pay for two "border" collies, ha ha! Breakin' the law, breakin' the law....
It's sad that the rich and famous consider themselves and their canines to be above the law, isn't it? He probably could have legally brought them in with not much fuss.
Unfortunately for the rich and famous our quarantine laws apply equally and are very strict - we don't have rabbies and a host of other animal diseases so to get the dogs in you have to apply 6/7 months in advance and even when all the paper work says the dogs are ok they still go into quarantine for 10 days on arrival. OH and the dogs weren't "border collies - I think they were Scottish terriers - minatures who were "smuggled" off the private jet in carry bag. Anyway the dogs left last night - but Depp will still face the law (next week!?). Cheers

I'd noticed that too, and assume that we've all been talking to ourselves while the other end of the phone's long since been hung up.
Well, the avalanche of cautionary posts was probably not what the OP was hoping to get.
I feel for the dogs, frankly, and just hope that the messages are being read and digested.

My dog always wants to be warm, happy, chase the red ball and terrorize the chickens...Part of my Camino is leaving my beloved "fur kids" behind--pet ducks, chickens, my four kitties, and two dogs. A
Unfortunately for the rich and famous our quarantine laws apply equally and are very strict - we don't have rabbies and a host of other animal diseases so to get the dogs in you have to apply 6/7 months in advance and even when all the paper work says the dogs are ok they still go into quarantine for 10 days on arrival. OH and the dogs weren't "border collies - I think they were Scottish terriers - minatures who were "smuggled" off the private jet in carry bag. Anyway the dogs left last night - but Depp will still face the law (next week!?). Cheers

Saint Mike II---it was a pun, a play on words.....get it? BORDER collies, ha ha! Or perhaps we should call this debacle Johnny Depp's "Border Follies"!

I'd noticed that too, and assume that we've all been talking to ourselves while the other end of the phone's long since been hung up.
Well, the avalanche of cautionary posts was probably not what the OP was hoping to get.
I feel for the dogs, frankly, and just hope that the messages are being read and digested.

Ha! No kidding....talk about a long monologue here, in about fifty different--but united--voices! It's been a great thread, full of agreement and good advice.

My dog always wants to be warm, happy, chase the red ball and terrorize the chickens...Part of my Camino is leaving my beloved "fur kids" behind--pet ducks, chickens, my four kitties, and two dogs.
Thus spake one who does not project her own needs/wants/preferences/personality onto her dog. Brava, Deb!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thus spake one who does not project her own needs/wants/preferences/personality onto her dog. Brava, Deb!

Laughing, chuckling, smirking....sayeth the chicken chaser!

Yeah, ditto to all above. Don't bring your dog.
Dogs in rural Spain are working dogs and I'm sure very territorial in the small towns you walk through. They are there for protection, working livestock or hunting.

Am I the only one that noticed that the OP never bothered to respond to this thread she has started? Something that speaks volumes and sadly so. SY
Maybe we need to start educating "new pilgrims" - that even if you don't like/appreciate the advice offered it is polite to respond - with a simple thank you!! Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maybe we need to start educating "new pilgrims" - that even if you don't like/appreciate the advice offered it is polite to respond - with a simple thank you!! Cheers
The OP posted a question about securing transportation to SJPP and received numerous "don't do it" responses with only one even alluding to transportation. She hung around for at least four days and I am thinking that perhaps she has chosen "the high road" by not responding to those who did not address her question. She could have become argumentative. Do I agree with bringing a dog on the Camino? No I don't. Do I consider it rude to not respond to a bunch of people who did not even try to help resolve a dilemma, however misguided it may have been? No I don't.

Her transportation problem would be easily solved by leaving the dog at home. In that sense, yes, I think we did address the issue / original question. SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Me thinks that the OP of this thread is to be thanked for raising the awareness of unwary dog owning would-be peregrinos, even if this may not have been her intention. Whenever discussion comes to the Camino, dog-owners in my own circle of friends and family tend to grow the idea to "offer" the camino to their pets as the "ultimate long walk“, very possibly arising from a latent bad conscience for not doing enough daily walking.
If the adamant advise of experienced peregrinos herein prevents them from submitting their beloved pets to unnecessary suffering and distress, this forum has served its purpose well, regardless of wether Lynn is still with us on this thread. Let us be grateful that she has helped to focus attention toward this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great journey this will be for Tess and yourself! Hopefuĺly all will go well but please be aware that most albergues on the caminos do not accept pets. Do you need special papers to bring a dog into Europe? As a Canadian citizen do you need a special visa to stay in the Schengen European community for more than 3 months? I know that US citizens do need such a visa.

Happy planning and Buen camino !

MM
I apologize for the delay in responding but I do not have internet at home in the country and must use the public Library's internet. (And that was my first time ever posting anything so I had the computer technician at the library help me the post on the forum.) I in no way meant to offend anyone by not responding.

I very much appreciate all the comments regarding the concern for bringing Tess to walk the Camino. I am taking your advice as you all are experienced Camino walkers and along with the caution on taking Tess I also appreciate the information on the Schengen issue about being in the country longer than 3 months. I did not know about this although I had spoken with people directly at both the Embassy for Spain in Toronto and the Canadian Embassy in Spain regarding my trip. So thanks to every one of you for this info as it would have been an unpleasant experience finding this out once I was in Spain. Also I am grateful to the forum for the information on Denise being missing and the new alerts to walk in pairs and to be extra cautious when walking the Camino through various sections.

I look forward to walking the Camino in the future with a friend from Canada who is excited to do the walk and experience all the amazing things and meet all the great people who love the Camino way.

Thanks again.
Lynn

Bringing Tess along on the Camino is not a good idea. You will have problems with accommodation all the way, no albergue, no pension, no hotel will admit a dog, neither do restaurants, churches, shops. Spaniards have a very different attitude toward dogs! Plus, you risk to encounter vicious farmer- and guard dogs on the way, that might shred Tess to pieces. I am not sure what veterinary restrictions (even quarantine) you'll encounter at the border, inquiry is absolutely necessary and be aware that what goes for France might not go for Spain.
Do yourself and Tess a big favor: Leave her in good hands at home.

Buen Camino
I apologize for the delay in responding but I do not have internet at home in the country and must use the public Library's internet. (And that was my first time ever posting anything so I had the computer technician at the library help me the post on the forum.) I in no way meant to offend anyone by not responding.

I very much appreciate all the comments regarding the concern for bringing Tess to walk the Camino. I am taking your advice as you all are experienced Camino walkers and along with the caution on taking Tess I also appreciate the information on the Schengen issue about being in the country longer than 3 months. I did not know about this although I had spoken with people directly at both the Embassy for Spain in Toronto and the Canadian Embassy in Spain regarding my trip. So thanks to every one of you for this info as it would have been an unpleasant experience finding this out once I was in Spain. Also I am grateful to the forum for the information on Denise being missing and the new alerts to walk in pairs and to be extra cautious when walking the Camino through various sections.

I look forward to walking the Camino in the future with a friend from Canada who is excited to do the walk and experience all the amazing things and meet all the great people who love the Camino way.

Thanks again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Me thinks that the OP of this thread is to be thanked for raising the awareness of unwary dog owning would-be peregrinos, even if this may not have been her intention. Whenever discussion comes to the Camino, dog-owners in my own circle of friends and family tend to grow the idea to "offer" the camino to their pets as the "ultimate long walk“, very possibly arising from a latent bad conscience for not doing enough daily walking.
If the adamant advise of experienced peregrinos herein prevents them from submitting their beloved pets to unnecessary suffering and distress, this forum has served its purpose well, regardless of wether Lynn is still with us on this thread. Let us be grateful that she has helped to focus attention toward this topic.

Thanks again.
Agree with SY and I also think she may have been shocked to learn she can't stay for longer than 3 months.

Thanks again.

Her transportation problem would be easily solved by leaving the dog at home. In that sense, yes, I think we did address the issue / original question. SY

Thanks again.

The OP posted a question about securing transportation to SJPP and received numerous "don't do it" responses with only one even alluding to transportation. She hung around for at least four days and I am thinking that perhaps she has chosen "the high road" by not responding to those who did not address her question. She could have become argumentative. Do I agree with bringing a dog on the Camino? No I don't. Do I consider it rude to not respond to a bunch of people who did not even try to help resolve a dilemma, however misguided it may have been? No I don't.

Thanks again.

I am also a dog lover but would not consider bring mine along for all the reasons mentioned above. I have seen many who do bring their dog along, witnessing 5 different people who were forced to turn back as their pets weakened and lost weight as they progressed. Should you still be tempted and do bring Tess along, watch her weight! The first clue that all is not right. The expense of a kennel at home for a month will far out weigh the worries and frustrations of bringing Tess with you.

Thanks again.

Hi Lynn,

I hope you are not too depressed or discouraged by the comments above, but as a dog lover I thought I should put in my tuppence worth.

I walked the Norte a while back and met a lovely Spanish guy who was walking with two dogs. Most alberges would let him stay, but on condition that the dogs slept outside. I got up in the middle of the night to go for a pee, and saw him gesturing through the glass front door, could I please let him in? Apparently a horse had appeared in the field over the road, the dogs had started barking loudly, so he had got out of bed and gone outside to calm them, only for the door to shut and auto-lock behind him. He had been sitting outside in just his boxer shorts, freezing cold for over an hour, by the time my bladder propelled me out of bed. When I saw him again a few days later, one of his dogs was not doing well with the walking and he was in the position that he would have to give up the camino and head home. Similarly, when staying at the monastery in Sobrado, a couple were told they could stay, but their dog had to sleep in the open cloister, just outside the dormitory door. There were a lot of walkers in the dorm, many of whom needed to get up and go for a pee during the night, but the dog barked loudly every time, resulting in a sleepless night for everyone in the dorm. By the morning both they and the dog were extremely unpopular.

I seem to recall hearing of a pilgrim who had lost their dog on the camino and was understandably upset and worried and asking for help to find it, but had not been reunited with it.

I would urge you to rethink your plans for the sake of yourself and Tess.

Thank you for your very kind words and encouragement.

Thanks again.

Buen Camino

Thanks again.

I am also a dog owner & I love our Tessa very much. Yet Pano makes a strong case for leaving your best freind at home. Animals in Spain are very seldom seen as companions, typically they are ignored, chained, very few are in good condition as you will see them with dysentery, mange & quite frankly abused. You will find them hunting stray cats for food. I would be very certain if you take Tess to keep her on a leash. She will get torn up if she gets on most properties. That is the animal side.

The humans other than cultures like ours that we take them with us like children. Will simply not accept them, so you may find yourself without shelter. Do yourself & Tess a favor. I found enough cats & dogs to give affection to as I walked. That may be part of your calling.

Regardless of what you decide I wish you the best.
Keith
Thanks Keith.

Thanks again.

Hello, Lynn and welcome back!
I am happy that you've reconsidered taking Tess...she may miss you when you're away (and you her) but will be better off--and you will have a much less complicated Camino, without worries about where she will sleep and about her health. Thank you for listening and I'm sorry if anything said was hurtful.
Wishing you a very buen Camino, whenever you do it!

Thanks Keith.

Thanks again.

Lynn--

Nice notes! I am glad that the forum members were able to steer you in the right direction, and I think I would fall in love with Tess. If you are ever in Oregon, give me a shout!

€46,-
Well, that was quite a lynching us Spaniards have taken regarding animals and pets...

For what it's worth, just because a place does not accept animals does not make it an animal hater, Spaniards do have qnd love pets, many animals you see on the Camino are working animals and their retionship with humans is very different, and there are abandoned and abused animals everywhere - even in the States.

Peace and Buen Camino to you (all)

Well, that was quite a lynching us Spaniards have taken regarding animals and pets...

For what it's worth, just because a place does not accept animals does not make it an animal hater, Spaniards do have qnd love pets, many animals you see on the Camino are working animals and their retionship with humans is very different, and there are abandoned and abused animals everywhere - even in the States.

Peace and Buen Camino to you (all)
You are correct after reading my description above it does sound as though all animals are not well cared for. That is not true I did see well cared for animals. But I still would not bring my dog along for the Camino. For the reasons I stated. Just like I would not bring my dog around some working dogs on ranches here. Our Ranch dog would run down coyotes & kill them. As he did with other dogs as well. He was trained to protect not only our livestock but my mother as well.
So please don't take it as a personal/national insult. Yet what we observe must be shared.

You are correct after reading my description above it does sound as though all animals are not well cared for. That is not true I did see well cared for animals. But I still would not bring my dog along for the Camino. For the reasons I stated. Just like I would not bring my dog around some working dogs on ranches here. Our Ranch dog would run down coyotes & kill them. As he did with other dogs as well. He was trained to protect not only our livestock but my mother as well.
So please don't take it as a personal/national insult. Yet what we observe must be shared.

thanks, i appreciate the clarification. just seemed that the only things seen (by everyone in this thread) were animals being mistreated, hence my comment, which i thought was unfair for the reasons i have already stated.

thankfully, we now live in societies that judge other societies (in part) on how they treat their animals (pets and/or livestock). this is a good thing and animal rights are a huge step in human civilisation. spain may be lacking in many ways regarding this issue, but definitely not to extent that has been portrayed above. you are right, what has been observed must be shared, just no one seemed to have seen happy pets, healthy livestock and loving carers.

likewise, i would not bring my pet on the Camino for the same reasons you have pointed out.

cheers

Hey Jeff

I have kept my mouth shut in this thread. I would take the right dog on the Camino, but if you need to ask the answer is don't.

I met some of the healthiest,best cared for old
Newfydogs ever in Spain on the Camino. And the working dogs have been nice as well.

Bummer....i found this thread to read about suggestions for taking our dog on the camino with us this summer but it looks like it's a bad idea. We can only do two weeks, not the full camino but it seems like from all the comments it's not advisable. Thanks for the info.....feeling bummed out:(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Everybody who has walked the Camino Francés knows the albergue in Manjarin. An albergue for six pilgrims, without water and electricity, but full of hospitality. Tomás Martinez de Paz started...
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Hi all, just a quickie, My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far...
would you recommend changes and what challenges would the change bring on that i should consider first? My plan was to start at SJPDP may 13 and do full Camino to Santiago. I fly into Pamplona on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back