• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

flying from US 9/11/12 starting St Jean Pied de Port

MVB63

Time of past OR future Camino
Flying in to Paris 9/11/12, will work my way to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France to start

Planning April 2014 Camino
Hello!

Thats to all for info on posts. I am starting my trip with little planning (usuall for me) and looking for and advise on something I am missing in my plan that might limit my adventure or experience.

I am from Seattle. been on a Motorcycle trip, bike currently in Florida. Heading up to NYC. I am booking a flight to start Camino leaving NYC 9/11/12, flights are less expensive that day for some reason :).
I am thinking of flying in to Paris and just winging it on travel to St Jean Pied de Port starting point. (train, bus etc). I would get a room reserved the first night in Paris just to re-group and get some direction.
I only have a good pair of Ecco Hiking boots, will buy backpack, bag, hiking clothing ect in NY, assuming traveling light is best. In NYC i would apply for same day visa to India.
After doing Camino I was thinking of going to India to work in Mother Therisa's home of dying for 4 to 6 weeks .
Thinking 3 months would be a good amount of time to allow for that and what ever happens.
I was thinking of getting a round trip ticket to Paris (about the same as 1 way) with a Nov or Dec return date, and arange other travel once in Europe.
I have never been to Europe or India but have traveled a little so feel confident, although sure I will face big fears in myself, I think this is a reasonable plan that is do-able and i will learn much along the way.
Any thoughts or advise from my fellow travelers?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear mvb63,
Your plans are aggressive and admirable, though I fear that without proper training walking the Camino will prove very difficult. Most pilgrims do a modicum of training and those that do not find that problems develop very quickly and severe enough to take them off the path. Your timetable seems that it would allow for a leisurely pace and I would recommend that, in the absence of any pre Camino walks. The first day out of SJPdP will prove to be the most difficult, and the remaining days will become increasingly easier as you develop your walking stamina. Pack light, take trekking poles and pray, your journey will be your reward. Buen Camino.
Vincent

You have made some wonderful plans that will create eternal memories. You seem like the caliber of person that has the ability to remain flexible; this will be invaluable to you as you proceed from Paris, walking the Camino, and journeying to India to serve those in need.

For the pilgrim the first law of joy is learning that the Way is about serving others. It is in serving those around us that we find our greatest joy and we find true selves. Walking the Camino will assist you in learning in how to serve others. Serving is primarily the ability to see what others need and being there to lend a hand. It is the simple things that provide the greatest service: kind words, gentle acknowledgments, and a helping hand. Be cognizant of those who suffer in silence; they will be all around you and are often the ones that no one recognizes as hurting so deeply.

I suspect that you are in relatively good shape. The less in-shape that you are, the slower you should go at first while your body strengthens. Your lack of preparedness may prevent you from seeing as much as you might have been able to, but it will not lessen the value of the Camino. If you are interested in historical sites, special albergues, monasteries, and cathedrals you would do well to seek out those who have planned and ask questions about what is up ahead. Better yet, if you speak the local language, ask them about what they are proud of in the region.

Your journey is spiritual in nature and will provide many opportunities of contemplation, self-reflection, and prayer. I hope that as you lose yourself in serving others that God leads you to understand yourself more fully and completely. Please let us know how things progress for you on the Camino and in India.

May his Peace abide always with you,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Vincent and Michael- All good advice, really cool, thanks.
I am flying to Pamplona, arive 9/12 from a redeye out of JFK. I have a return ticket 10/23 from Madrid, allowing what sounds like lots of time for the Camino and what ever comes up. I on not sure I will fly out at that time but airfare was less buying a RT ticket.
Also not sure of india from there, looking like I may fly back and finish Motorcycle trip before winter sets in then fly out of Seattle to India (thats another Forum). Kinda just doing a day at a time and see where I end up. Thanks again

a pict of me from this trip, say hi if you see me on the trail

Attachments

• IMG-20120814-00201.jpg
    IMG-20120814-00201.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 57

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back