• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Paris to St Jean Pied de Port

Wendyk

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
We are travelling from Canada to Paris and planned to take the train to Bayonne and then another train to St Jean. Is this the best way to get there?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes and generally very enjoyable. Only down point for me was the craziness of the Paris train stations, but that's only a small part of the journey. SNFC has a great app for booking tickets and it has real time updates. Quite often if you can be a bit flexible you can get good deals on first class.

Yes.

If one has no interest in seeing Paris, there are trains heading south from CDG. They may go directly to Bayonne or Biarritz or indirectly via Bordeaux.

An RER station is under Terminal 1, a TGV station is under Terminal 2. I prefer TGV as it saves a lot of time.

An easy way to monitor is by looking at the options here:

(Recommended before one charges into the SNCF site: https://www.sncf-connect.com/ )

B

Hi @Wendyk Just a small suggestion. I wouldn't book all the way from Paris to SJPP in one booking. I’d book Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPP as separate bookings.

The train that runs between Bayonne to SJPP is sometimes cancelled (usually due to debris / repairs on the track) and a cancellation can mess up your whole booking.

Also, if the Bayonne to SJPP train is cancelled, SNCF will (almost/always) provide replacement bus.

All the best.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes and generally very enjoyable. Only down point for me was the craziness of the Paris train stations,....
I'm sorry - have you ever been to Penn Station in NYC?!

Yes.

If one has no interest in seeing Paris, there are trains heading south from CDG. They may go directly to Bayonne or Biarritz or indirectly via Bordeaux.

An RER station is under Terminal 1, a TGV station is under Terminal 2. I prefer TGV as it saves a lot of time.

(Recommended before one charges into the SNCF site: https://www.sncf-connect.com/ )

B
Everyone on this Forum knows by now that I am a staunch believer in Paris stop-over. That said, i looked that the above and said - ya know? perhaps me should take a lookie.
...and Rome2Rio dispatches this (full disclosure - I did not get into details, just did a 'drive-by' so to speak):
  • Shortest at 4h15m Fly from CdG --> train
  • Cheapest at 14h 15m Bus (2 of them)
  • Train at 7h 56m 3 trains all together
  • Train via Bordeaux at 8h 46m also 3 trains
I'm sorry.... 8 or 9 hours after I just flew for at least the same, possibly overnight (sort of going for the North American Pilgrims here... forget about AUS, NZ and the like)?!

For WHO? for WHAT? show up in SJPdP towards late evening and worry about possibly being locked oout of albergue and\or missing dinners? (again, sorry but there have been close to 6 new threads about CdG-->SJPdP transit as of last week or so and some Members do tell of stressful possibilities....)

Yes to each his\her own, I get it. But we are starting on our Caminos. The 1st-timers are nervous already; for some its the 1st time they have been to Europe.... Why not take it easy, relax, dont rush, take a remainder of the day and get on that train tomorrow morning arriving to SJPdP by mid-afternoon well rested and reasonably fresh?

Sorry again...don't want to come across as "condescending" and even somewhat rude....

Everyone on this Forum knows by now that I am a staunch believer in Paris stop-over. That said, i looked that the above and said - ya know? perhaps me should take a lookie.
...and Rome2Rio dispatches this (full disclosure - I did not get into details, just did a 'drive-by' so to speak):
I'm sorry.... 8 or 9 hours after I just flew for at least the same, possibly overnight (sort of going for the North American Pilgrims here... forget about AUS, NZ and the like)?!

For WHO? for WHAT? show up in SJPdP towards late evening and worry about possibly being locked oout of albergue and\or missing dinners? (again, sorry but there have been close to 6 new threads about CdG-->SJPdP transit as of last week or so and some Members do tell of stressful possibilities....)

Yes to each his\her own, I get it. But we are starting on our Caminos. The 1st-timers are nervous already; for some its the 1st time they have been to Europe.... Why not take it easy, relax, dont rush, take a remainder of the day and get on that train tomorrow morning arriving to SJPdP by mid-afternoon well rested and reasonably fresh?

Sorry again...don't want to come across as "condescending" and even somewhat rude....

Fair points all, @CWBuff !

I guess that I should have been careful and noted that I would NOT propose to go CDG to SJPP all in one go. I favor a stopover in Bayonne (or Biarritz, depending upon the train) before the last leg.

My preference for training direct from CDG is because my way of adapting to a new time zone is to stay up and awake until evening falls. For me, a train ride is a mellow way to do just that.

Others may require/prefer a different strategy.

I appreciate this!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Fair points all, @CWBuff !

I guess that I should have been careful and noted that I would NOT propose to go CDG to SJPP all in one go. I favor a stopover in Bayonne (or Biarritz, depending upon the train) before the last leg.

My preference for training direct from CDG is because my way of adapting to a new time zone is to stay up and awake until evening falls. For me, a train ride is a mellow way to do just that.
All good points!

@simply B - AH!!! OK that I can understand :)
As a matter of fact, I would not be adverse to make that 'fast' (I hope) jump to Bayonne next time I contemplate The Frances and even allow myself to linger an extra day
Vive Gascoigne! Vive d'Artagnan, Vive Cyrano!!!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes.

B
So the best train app for traveling paris to St Jean is the rome2rio?

Yes.

B
I have a keen interest in Paris, and have booked a room right in the center. I will spend three nights and days before heading down to St Jean. What are the best cultural attractions in central Paris, these days, if you please? Charging up in Paris to buffer American jet lag is my plan, as last time I walked the camino, I showed up and directly started marching over the Pyrenees. I hope to walk and sleep better with this plan. It seems a train to St Jean would allow a sense of France better than a flight. Are certain trains or riding classes best? Buen Camino, Sid

What are the best cultural attractions in central Paris, these days, if you please?

I'm definitely no expert on Paris, but both times that I've been there I've taken one of the free (not totally free - the guides rely on tips) walking tours available, and always learn something new.
Are certain trains or riding classes best?
As far as I know, most trains to Bayonne, then on to SJPdP depart from Gare Montparnasse. The first time I went I got a really good deal on a 1st class ticket. The tickets last year were much more expensive (tip: book as soon as possible for the best price), so I booked 2nd class, and honestly, I didn't notice much difference between the two.

There's a website about all things train travel called The Man in Seat 61, and he says "2nd class is absolutely fine, there's no need to pay for 1st class unless you see a good price. 1st class simply means more leg & elbow room as you can see in the photos below, and a quieter environment with more business travellers tapping on laptops and fewer families with kids. There is no difference in the on-board service as no food or drink is included in 1st class on most French domestic TGVs. 1st class is just nicer seating, with the option of solo seats or a face to face table for two."

You don't say when you are planning to go, but remember that Paris will be very busy this summer with both the Olympics (26 July to 11 August) and the Paralympics (28 August to 8 September).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm arriving by plane into Paris from New Zealand (makes it sound easy haha!) From Paris I'm flying to Biarritz and staying a night in Bayonne. I don't want my first week camino bookings being stuffed up so I'm glad I've got that extra night in Bayonne as insurance. I'm transiting Dubai and it's a bit messy there currently.

I am here to report I learnt the hard way, 2018, and will now try this 3 days in Paris way. Looks like three trains will get me to SJPDP from Paris in the spell of a day, or an 90Euro flight to Biarritz if I'm looking for another airport crisis of some sort. I'm thinking train, a night in St Jean, and walk to Orrison for a lower bunk before a waltz into the wild horses before dancing down to Roncevalles and the grandest albergue of all. See you around the 19th, or night of the 20th or so in Orisson, who knows. The Virgin of Biakorri knows. Last time I saw her, baby Jesus blinked.

€60,-
I have a keen interest in Paris, and have booked a room right in the center. I will spend three nights and days before heading down to St Jean. What are the best cultural attractions in central Paris, these days, if you please? Charging up in Paris to buffer American jet lag is my plan, as last time I walked the camino, I showed up and directly started marching over the Pyrenees. I hope to walk and sleep better with this plan. It seems a train to St Jean would allow a sense of France better than a flight. Are certain trains or riding classes best? Buen Camino, Sid

I’m a big fan of traveling by train in Europe. Twice now, I’ve arrived in Paris after an overnight flight from Montreal. Both were early morning arrivals. The first time, with trains already booked, I traveled south to SJPP on the same day I landed in Paris and arrived in SJPP by late afternoon fairly exhausted (the local railway strike between Bayonne-SJPP complicated travel a bit). I started off the next morning across the Pyrenees (adrenalin and excitement helped me manage my travel fatigue).

My second trip to SJPP was by the same route, but with one big difference - after landing in Paris, I spent my first night there, enjoyed the sights of the city, and as @trecile mentioned above good, took advantage of free walking tours and wonderful food before heading to SJPP early the next morning. This time I had more time to enjoy the charming town of SJPP, prepare for my first day of walking on the Camino, and be better rested for a demanding, but very doable walk to Burguete.

Another option that I would entertain in the future would be to leave Paris on the day that I arrived there but only travel as far as Bayonne (another wonderful small French city) and then head on to SJPP the next morning.

If I’ve learned one thing from my Caminos, it's to slow down a bit and to enjoy the whole journey including getting to my starting point along The Way.

Buen Camino!

I’m a big fan of traveling by train in Europe. Twice now, I’ve arrived in Paris after an overnight flight from Montreal. Both were early morning arrivals. The first time, with trains already booked, I traveled south to SJPP on the same day I landed in Paris and arrived in SJPP by late afternoon fairly exhausted (the local railway strike between Bayonne-SJPP complicated travel a bit). I started off the next morning across the Pyrenees (adrenalin and excitement helped me manage my travel fatigue).

My second trip to SJPP was by the same route, but with one big difference - after landing in Paris, I spent my first night there, enjoyed the sights of the city, and as @trecile mentioned above good, took advantage of free walking tours and wonderful food before heading to SJPP early the next morning. This time I had more time to enjoy the charming town of SJPP, prepare for my first day of walking on the Camino, and be better rested for a demanding, but very doable walk to Burguete.

Another option that I would entertain in the future would be to leave Paris on the day that I arrived there but only travel as far as Bayonne (another wonderful small French city) and then head on to SJPP the next morning.

If I’ve learned one thing from my Caminos, it's to slow down a bit and to enjoy the whole journey including getting to my starting point along The Way.

Buen Camino!
Great suggestion. I believe I will spend a night in Bayonne, yes, on the water in the oxygen, either before or after my camino, as my departure home is again from Paris if my money lasts. Oh, it will, and I have credit cards, lots of those. Life is short, I am older. Perhaps my first three days in Paris will lead me to a planned special stay of some sort before my return to Montana, a special location, or friend, or maybe i will find a rural location near the airport to stay in the country side. Novel ideas can emerge from the space there, and travels to and from, it is said. Since I have previously completed the Camino in 2018 from SJPDP, I am much less concerned about getting there and getting going, whereas in '18 around April Fool's, I was anxious and apprehensive, as all were. This time I have booked Orrison for around the 20th, so I am excited to have a little more heart, leg, and wind on hand to march to Roncevalles. Last time, 2018, first official opening day of Napoleon pass, I communed with the wild horses on the pass, and did not arrive until dark, and ended up in the ancillary facility, wherein I had to be rousted out of bed the next day, g'won, git.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We are travelling from Canada to Paris and planned to take the train to Bayonne and then another train to St Jean. Is this the best way to get there?
I love this way of getting to SJPdP! Ah! The beautiful French Countryside!

A night or more in Paris staying at Adveniat! (My fav after many nights in Paris)
Dorms and private rooms.
An earlyish morning, starting with 10mins walk to metro 'Franklin D Roosevelt'.
Metro to 'Gare Montparnasse' for the Bayonne train. (Check in case a change is required)
Book the Bayonne train that leaves around 8am. Takes approx 4 hrs to Bayonne (there is one 10min stop in Bordeaux).
In Bayonne the little valley rattler awaits your trains arrival, before taking you up the Rive River valley to St Jean. 1 hr.
Overall a relaxing trip delivering you to St Jean by 1.30pm.

By taking a later train from Paris you run the risk of missing the Valley rattler connection to St Jean. It can be erratic and a taxi is expensive!
The train to St Jean is sometimes replaced with a bus, due to rail maintenance work.

I use "Trainline" for Bookings.
For best pricing, book early. Timetables are released 3 months prior to date of travel.
So investigate....then put a reminder note in your diary!

Regards, good travelling, and Buen Camino!
Gerard

Book the Bayonne train that leaves around 8am. Takes approx 4 hrs to Bayonne (there is one 10min stop in Bordeaux).
In Bayonne the little valley rattler awaits your trains arrival, before taking you up the Rive River valley to St Jean. 1 hr.
Overall a relaxing trip delivering you to St Jean by 1.30pm.

By taking a later train from Paris you run the risk of missing the Valley rattler connection to St Jean. It can be erratic and a taxi is expensive!
The train to St Jean is sometimes replaced with a bus, due to rail maintenance work.
Not sure what you mean by running a risk of missing the rattler.
I took a 10am or so train, was in Bayonne in 4hrs flat and was directed (along with other pilgrims) to the mentioned substitute bus. Another hour and we disembarked in SJPdP.
No risk...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not sure what you mean by running a risk of missing the rattler.
I took a 10am or so train, was in Bayonne in 4hrs flat and was directed (along with other pilgrims) to the mentioned substitute bus. Another hour and we disembarked in SJPdP.
No risk...
The locals have always called the Bayonne to SJPDP train the "Valley Rattler". The old train sure used to be one, and the name has "stuck". It's service was, and is still somewhat erratic.

Yes I understand that, however given the fact that the pilgrims are coming throughout the day my point is that one does not have to get on the earliest train from Paris in order not to run a risk to miss the BAYONNE SJPDP connection. It or the substitute bus will be there with later trains as well :)

About this 2 trains, no 3 trains, no 2 trains business: I had a quick look at the timetable for this Monday:

From the Paris Montparnasse station, there are fast train connections to Bayonne. Some are direct trains and others are journeys with a stop and change of trains in Bordeaux. Journeys last 3 hours 59 minutes for the direct connection and 30-50 minutes longer for the journeys with change in Bordeaux.

There is also a fast train connection from Paris airport CDG to Bayonne. It will not pass through Montparnasse. It appears to be popular as it is often fully booked. There is one stop and change in Bordeaux. Can be done in 6 hours.

Timetables for these train journeys in France are published and available on sncf-connect.com until September / October as I saw just now. However tickets cannot be purchased so far into the future. Note the two separate links for See prices and for View only timetable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On https://www.ter.sncf.com/nouvelle-aquitaine/se-deplacer/fiches-horaires you can download the timetable for the line Bayonne to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Valid until July 2024. It is Line 54.

Note: During Monday to Friday, there is a guarantee that the French railway company SNCF will arrange for a replacement bus on this line that guarantees arrivals before 8 am and departures before 7 pm. Note that French Car means Bus in English.

I think that contrary to popular wisdom, the difficulty are not only infrastructure work and strikes but lack of personnel. Welcome to European train travel in the 2020s ... :confused:

You find the relevant links on the website and here below:

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back