• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying into Biarritz May 19 at 18:25; stay one night or traiin straight to SJPdP?

misspenn2519

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2024
Hi there! I was hoping I could arrive at SJPdP on May 19 (my birthday) to take a day to get ready and start the Camino on May 20, however getting there from the Algarve is not easy I discovered! I have a full day to spend in Paris then arrive in Biarritz at 18:25. There is one train or bus I believe around 7:30 which I could make to get to SJPdP but wondering if Biarritz is a cute seaside town worth spending one night in, then get a noonish bus/train to SJPdP. If you recommend Biarritz, do you have any suggestions for neighborhood, hotel, restaurants? It's my birthday and last day of comfort before the Camino so I don't mind spoiling myself a bit but nothing crazy. Would like to be close enough to the coast if possible to have a vew of the water. Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the train I think you have to go via Bayonne. I would choose Bayonne over Biarritz to spend a night. Biarritz obviously has a name, but I didn't like anything about it.
I think you're right to look to spend a night somewhere near there though and travel to St JPdP the next day as it will be very late by the time you get there, and will not allow for any delays.

Hi misspenn!
Me again.
To be honest i don't know much about Biarritz as never visited; but it was the place to be along the coast at one time.

As i am in the same sort of position as you i wonder if you had considered this?
I land in Biarritz from UK on the 14th May at 18.45 so i decided to taxi to Bayonne and i am staying at Hotel Cote Basque just across the square from the train station.
I plan to get up early on the 15th and explore some of Bayonne and catch the 12.35 train to SJPP .

I start walking on May 16th my 70th birthday; doing the Valcarlos route. (mainly cos of my vision)

Walking to Burgos this time out to Bilboa then fly to Faro taxi to the coast where i will have a week based in Fuseta between Olhoa and Tavira.

I put the last bit just because:
You came from the Algarve to start your Camino; i am going when i finish mine!
We are both Taurean (bulls) as blind as bats 🤣
Anyway whatever choice you make HAPPY BIRTHDAY for the 19th!
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The restaurants along the side of the Nive are good but the food in every one of the restaurants around the Marche in Biarritz is absolutely first class.

Stay one night.

Hi misspenn!
Me again.
To be honest i don't know much about Biarritz as never visited; but it was the place to be along the coast at one time.

As i am in the same sort of position as you i wonder if you had considered this?
I land in Biarritz from UK on the 14th May at 18.45 so i decided to taxi to Bayonne and i am staying at Hotel Cote Basque just across the square from the train station.
I plan to get up early on the 15th and explore some of Bayonne and catch the 12.35 train to SJPP .

I start walking on May 16th my 70th birthday; doing the Valcarlos route. (mainly cos of my vision)

Walking to Burgos this time out to Bilboa then fly to Faro taxi to the coast where i will have a week based in Fuseta between Olhoa and Tavira.

I put the last bit just because:
You came from the Algarve to start your Camino; i am going when i finish mine!
We are both Taurean (bulls) as blind as bats 🤣
Anyway whatever choice you make HAPPY BIRTHDAY for the 19th!
Buen Camino
Woody
If your intent to stay the night in Bayonne just catch the bus outside airport 1 Euro .

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
For the train I think you have to go via Bayonne. I would choose Bayonne over Biarritz to spend a night. Biarritz obviously has a name, but I didn't like anything about it.
I think you're right to look to spend a night somewhere near there though and travel to St JPdP the next day as it will be very late by the time you get there, and will not allow for any delays.
I Go to Biarritz with my family every year great town beautiful beaches and holiday vibe but each to their own.
Bayonne a great Basque town with lots going for it you are spoilt for choice.
I will be in Biarritz in May.

Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back