• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footbeds

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Hi, I'm walking the Camino next May/June and have read up on replacing the original footbeds on walking boots with 'Superfeet' footbeds. Is this worth doing? I've got Brasher Supalite II boots which seem comfortable enough. Having said that, I will be doing a lot more distance than I am used to on the Camino next year.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Superfeet are not the only game in town, Superfeet colors are based on your type of feet, I've used them before, but now I use SOLE footbeds, heat them in the oven to custom form them to my feet.

Superfeet are not the only game in town, Superfeet colors are based on your type of feet, I've used them before, but now I use SOLE footbeds, heat them in the oven to custom form them to my feet.
I concur with @Bajaracer. I wore the blue Superfeet insoles on the Camino, but have now switched to the orange SOLE insoles, which as @Bajaracer said, can be heated and molded to your specific foot and arch configuration. Either way, I would get a knowledgeable salesperson to help you with your selection of a footbed/insole.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for that. I've got plenty of time to experiment with different ones, as I plan on doing the Camino next May June

Thanks for that. I've got plenty of time to experiment with different ones, as I plan on doing the Camino next May June
Also, when buying an off-the-shelf replacement insole, be sure to try it outside the shoe first to verify that it conforms to your particular arch profile. Buy the one that fits your foot, not your shoe size. The shoe size should be considered a rough estimate only. The insole can easily be trimmed to fit your shoe.

For the OP's basic point about whether to replace manufacturer's insoles: Replacing helped me hugely. The type of foam that is often used in original footbeds suffers compression fatigue and no longer offers support, when subjected to the lengthy daily pounding that is involved in training for, and walking, a Camino journey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sometimes you can use whatever works or you have on hand to improve a situation. On a shoe rack in Astorga a resourceful pilgrim took to taping maxi-pads to his/her insoles for more cushion or...........

I have just bought insoles from Millets (UK) - they have interchangeable support sections so can be adjusted to fit as you wish/need at different times. Seem good so far. Take an insole as size guide and also hold against your foot for size so that the arch is in the correct place.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Go visit a podiatrist, they often have all sorts of insoles depending on the type of use you'll make of them and then adapt them to your feet.

Go visit a podiatrist, they often have all sorts of insoles depending on the type of use you'll make of them and then adapt them to your feet.
The whole point of the Millets insoles is that needs can change as we walk and custom insoles are not always the answer. (The alternative sections can be carried in a pack for that reason) Also we probably need a medical referral here in the UK the way our system works, or expensive private consultation, OK if in need of actual medical help but not otherwise.

The whole point of the Millets insoles is that needs can change as we walk and custom insoles are not always the answer. (The alternative sections can be carried in a pack for that reason) Also we probably need a medical referral here in the UK the way our system works, or expensive private consultation, OK if in need of actual medical help but not otherwise.
I certainly would not play around fitting an insole. The ones that were suggested to me by my podiatrist were 50C$, so super inexpensive. Podologists can also sell you customisable insoles and you don't need a prescription to see them (nor the podiatrist in Canada).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In the UK we maybe do things differently. If there was a foot problem then professional advice of the right type is the way to go. However for a simple change of liner for boots then the knowledge and help of the sales person should be sufficient. After all we trust them with advice on the fit of the boots to start with, so why not with the different insoles too? :)
Personally I am very happy with my new insoles, the old ones had compacted, the new ones are just right, and can be adjusted if need be.

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back