• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear for Porto to Valenca/Tui?

Dick & Kitty

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances by stages from 2015 to 2021
In mid-September, my husband and I plan to take the metro to Vilar do Pinheiro and begin walking the central route from there to Valenca/Tui. Between 2015 and 2021 (briefly delayed by the Pandemic), we walked the Camino Frances by stages. So we are generally knowledgeable about the various issues with Camino walking. We have already booked our accommodations, and we have most of what we need--equipment, clothing, shoes, guidebooks, apps, etc. But I wanted some advice on footwear. For most of Camino Frances, I wore hiking boots. I tried trail shoes once, but they weren't sufficiently sturdy or supportive. (Did I mention that I have very narrow, hard-to-fit feet and wobbly ankles?) But I am considering trying trail shoes once again--Asolos. Any advice from anyone about trail shoes vs. hiking boots for this part of the Portugues? Feel free to offer any other advice as well! Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just completed the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago. Wore MERRILL trail shoes the whole way. Apart from one minor blister, they were a god send. Then again, due to the temperatures in July, boots would have been a nightmare.

Thanks so much for the info! Unfortunately, I can't wear Merrill's or Salomon's because they are too wide for my foot. I thought parts of the Camino Frances were too rocky and uneven for trail shoes--at least for me. And I was definitely happy to have on good boots when we went through the pass on the Napoleonic Route from SJPDP. We hit a sleet storm--very slick and scary! But I am hopeful that the Asolo trail shoes will work. They fit great and are much lighter than my boots.

Congratulations on walking the entire Frances all at one time! So of course, you will now want to walk the Portugues, right?

Thanks,
Kitty

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am a committed boot-wearer - pretty much year round at home as well as on Camino - but ‘trail shoe curious’.

There are a lot of cobbles on the Portuguese. I’m pleased I didn’t leave my boots at home.

Many (very many) will differ.

Thanks. Boots have always worked for me too. I would like to wear the Asolos, but if they don't work, I am in trouble. With really narrow feet, I can't just get another pair of shoes. And, of course, I don't want to carry any shoes (other than sandals) in my backpack!

Yes, I have heard about the cobblestones. Did you walk the Central or the Coastal?

Thanks,
Kitty

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks. Boots have always worked for me too. I would like to wear the Asolos, but if they don't work, I am in trouble. With really narrow feet, I can't just get another pair of shoes. And, of course, I don't want to carry any shoes (other than sandals) in my backpack!

Yes, I have heard about the cobblestones. Did you walk the Central or the Coastal?

Thanks,
Kitty
Central.

I have wide feet and (unusually) wear Italian boots; Zamberlan, as rarely for Italian bookmakers they use an English last (which is wider) for the foot shape. Have you tried other Italian designs which tend to be narrower? Scarpa, for example? These are all expensive, but long-lasting options.

Thanks so much for the info! Unfortunately, I can't wear Merrill's or Salomon's because they are too wide for my foot. I thought parts of the Camino Frances were too rocky and uneven for trail shoes--at least for me. And I was definitely happy to have on good boots when we went through the pass on the Napoleonic Route from SJPDP. We hit a sleet storm--very slick and scary! But I am hopeful that the Asolo trail shoes will work. They fit great and are much lighter than my boots.

Congratulations on walking the entire Frances all at one time! So of course, you will now want to walk the Portugues, right?

Thanks,
Kitty
All planned already for next year in July with people I met on this one.

The route from Vilar to Tui is marvellous, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. The main consideration, as henrythedog has said, is that there’s a fair bit of cobbled paving. Since you’ve got wonky ankles, you might need to prioritise shoes with ankle support, but still lightweight. Otherwise, I found Mizuno Wave Riders ideal for this route.
Bom caminho,
Wes

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
, I found Mizuno Wave Riders ideal for this route.
I wore the same, for the comfort. Just bought a new pair of the new model recently.

Haven't used Asolos to comment, sorry. There's more road and stone walking on that route than on the Frances, but if you are ok with walking on roads, you should be ok with cobblestones too.

of the Portugues? Feel free to offer any other advice as well! Thanks!
I walked in July in Boots. Even on higher grounds with dirt, foliage and gravel I would now choose Trailrunners. Or very lightweight walking shoes.

The only advantage of my boots: the 2 days of rain I had dry feet all the way! Many other walkers needed to change socks on the way and dry their shoes in the albergues.

HTH

Walked from Lisbon to SDC in May /June this year and am also a year round boot wearer. I usually wear Aku, an Italian brand, but I left it too late to order another pair (my third) from overseas so ended up with Scarpa which typically run narrow. The only issue I had was very tender soles of my feet from all the hard surfaces despite trying different innersoles along the way. My sister (met me in Porto) decided against her trusted boots and went with shoes - ended up having to take 4 days off with severe archilles tendonitis from the top of the back of her shoe aggravating the back of her heel. She managed to walk from Rubiares to Tui in socks and Birkenstocks then bought hiking sandels in Tui for the remainder.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will start out on cobble stone streets, from time to time on smooth paths or roads and again cobble stone and a stretch of rough trail. If you have tender feet and uncertain footing then I suggest shoes or boots that support your ankles. Also rubber tips on your poles if using them, keeps the tip from sinking into the cracks of the cobble stone.

I walked this last year (2022) in boots. This was the first time in over a decade of walking pilgrimage routes that I got blisters, more likely because I used a thicker insole than I have used in the past. I walked again this year in a different pair of boots without any problems.

You might miss some of the worst of the cobblestones closer to the centre of Porto, but you will find plenty elsewhere along the way. If you are already inclined to wear boots to give you more ankle stability, I presume you know techniques to ensure that the boot fits snugly around the top of the ankle.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.