• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum Introduction

Trishkerry

Time of past OR future Camino
Done....Frances, Norte ,Primitivo, Finisterre
Future ...via de la plata
Hi everyone!
Im planning to do the Santiago de compostela route next year(2013). Cant decide whether to walk or go on horseback. If i go as part of an organised ride its going to cost about £4000 to do the whole route. If I walk it will obviously be A LOT cheaper but it will mean going on my own. I am perfectly happy to go solo but my partner thinks it wont be safe for a lone female. Have there been any/many instances of walkers being robbed/attacked en route? :?
Trish

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Trish, I understand your boyfriend's fears but it is safe and you won't be alone. There will be pilgrims everywhere.

It is said that the Camino Frances is the safest road in the world for single women, and the crime rate in Spain is one eight of the rate in the UK, it is a very safe country.

There have been rare occasions - the odd flasher and so on - but these really are very rare indeed.

By horse sounds pretty fine - but an organised one .. personally I am not too sure ... the thing is, an important aspect of the pilgrimage is the hurting feet and aching legs ... that getting to a refugio and washing clothes, making food, meeting pilgrims that one hasn't seen for a few days, going for a drink with them, the close-packed bunk beds - it is all part of the pilgrim experience, to take oneself out of that can make it just a pretty hack in the countryside.

But it is you who must decide ..... why not walk it then think about horseback sometime in the future?

Hola

I'd endorse David's comments. Horseback caminos whether organised in a group or not are always going to be expensive because of the back up which is needed - horsebox, feed, stables etc. If you decide to walk you will definitely meet loads of other lovely people and you may make life long friendships. Because of the volume of pilgrims on the Camino Frances it tends to be very safe indeed. Fear not.

John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Trish

I agree with the advice above. I'm sure horseback would be a great experience, but don't do it because of any fears about personal safety.

I got the impression that it would almost be considered bad luck to 'attack' a pilgrim in any way. You're much more likely to have locals wish you 'Buen Camino' or pip their car horns at you to wish you well and get some reflected glory in the eyes of the Almighty!

That said, there is deprivation, drug abuse etc. in Spain, so don't tempt people by leaving an expensive mobile phone on a cafe table etc. Basic precautions should be more than enough.

Buen Camino!

Keith

Have there been any/many instances of walkers being robbed/attacked en route?
No.

The horseback idea sounds fantastic. The most difficult part will be accommodations for the horses, and a group outing would arrange all that. Most of the pilgrims I met on horseback were from Spain.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Hi Trish,

As a woman who has walked on her own, I can tell you that I would consider the Camino the safest place on earth for a woman to walk on her own.

I am looking forward to going again in May.

God bless you and Buen Camino,

Lydia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi again!

Alarmingly, I've just had a thought! :? Given that there are thousands of pounds at stake (not to mention your enjoyment of the whole experience) maybe you could just take a long weekend sometime this year and walk a couple of days to get a taste of the Camino. If your partner could go too that would be even better. You will very quickly get a sense of how safe it is and both feel more comfortable, and overall it would be cheaper than involving horses, tour guides etc.

Wouldn't it be awful after a day or two on a horse to regret the money you'd spent and really want to be with the pilgrims 'on the ground'?

I'd suggest avoiding Santiago for a trial run, though. There's something very special about arriving there, so save it for the real thing!

Buen Camino!

Thanks,
tyrrek said:
Wouldn't it be awful after a day or two on a horse to regret the money you'd spent and really want to be with the pilgrims 'on the ground'?

My way of thinking EXACTLY. I think i have pretty much made up my mind about walking it. Just got to convince my boyfriend now :wink:

On my brother's first camino, his walking partner, a retired reporter and writer, blew out his knee before Roncesvalles. He continued on buses, trains, and taxis, meeting every few days at designated points. Both had a great time for the next month. Your boyfriend could go, but not walk. He might miss a few small villages that you visit, but he could have a lot of fun anyway.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trishkerry said:
Just got to convince my boyfriend now :wink:

Nah! If you come back home weeping after a few days he has the right to say 'I told you so'. If you come back after 6 weeks with a big smile, healthy tan, lots of new friends, Compostela, etc you have the right to say 'I told you so'. :lol:

I know which one I'd put my money on.

Buen Camino!

Lydia Gillen said:
Hi Trish,

As a woman who has walked on her own, I can tell you that I would consider the Camino the safest place on earth for a woman to walk on her own.

I am looking forward to going again in May.

God bless you and Buen Camino,

Lydia

Hi Lydia
I am looking to go in May as well and not keen on going on my own - at least I would appreciate starting out with someone till I get the hang of it. Would you be willing for me to tag along at the beginning?
Buen Camino
Linda

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.