• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum members going from strength to strength

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
The recent posts by CaminoDebrita, Margaret Meredith, Movinmaggie, Al, and several others reminded me once again of the the gifts of the Camino, and the amazing things we find we're all capable of--feats of the body, feats of the heart. Whether we succeed in reaching an external goal is not what matters, but rather the heart that we bring to the test--and the care we offer each other. And in this, the strength and kindness and humor that shines out of all these posts is wonderful; all of you deserve a huge bow of gratitude for the lessons you share.

To our elders--most recently Mspath and Maggie (and the many who're not on the road at the moment but who will be)--are doing what most 30-somethings are unwilling to try: Thank you for the inspiration!

And to our many eloquent voices of all ages, who every day are sharing the wisdom and compassion you come by along the way: thank you for your many gifts!

It's not been the easiest of years on the Camino, but it helps to be reminded of what we're really doing out there, at the deepest levels. Thank you, all. You're making the world a slightly better place, on the Camino and at home.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The recent posts by CaminoDebrita, Margaret Meredith, Movinmaggie, Al, and several others reminded me once again of the the gifts of the Camino, and the amazing things we find we're all capable of--feats of the body, feats of the heart. Whether we succeed in reaching an external goal is not what matters, but rather the heart that we bring to the test--and the care we offer each other. And in this, the strength and kindness and humor that shines out of all these posts is wonderful; all of you deserve a huge bow of gratitude for the lessons you share.

To our elders--most recently Mspath and Maggie (and the many who're not on the road at the moment but who will be)--are doing what most 30-somethings are unwilling to try: Thank you for the inspiration!

And to our many eloquent voices of all ages, who every day are sharing the wisdom and compassion you come by along the way: thank you for your many gifts!

It's not been the easiest of years on the Camino, but it helps to be reminded of what we're really doing out there, at the deepest levels. Thank you, all. You're making the world a slightly better place, on the Camino and at home.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and kind words.
I wish you well, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It makes my heart sing that people feel this way. Thank you @Viranani
Well, you are welcome, Kanga!
And an apology is in order...I realize with some chagrin that I never thanked all of you hard-working moderators--and Ivar. It truly is a thankless job sometimes, done in the background without much understanding of what it takes to herd all of us cats.
A deep bow of thanks for your dedication and the combined years of Camino experience that you share unstintingly!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you, @NualaOC, you're very kind. But in this case, the credit rests with all of you out there. I was so touched by several recent posts that the words came straight from the heart. (I would love to share a 'live' Camino with all of you--even though there might be a bit of 'image adjustment,' that could be good too. We're people after all, not angels. Speaking for myself, that is. ;))

What can I say……I'm quite touched by your words.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Viranni, I'd love to meet you on the Via de la Plata this coming May/June! You'd be a great one to have dinner with methinks, and I just know you wouldn't be a 4am rustler.

Kiwi-family, thank you. The feeling is so mutual...but alas we seem to have different Camino months--I will be going in late March/early April.
(And you're right, No rustling at 4AM. No no no no no.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A 4 AM rustler! Ha ha, love that phrase!

I was very moved to find this lovely and complimentary post. Very kind.

Her I lie in Santiago, on quite a nice bed in quite a nice room in quite a nice hotel. It feels so very strange to not be walking a long day, with my 17 year old Camino daughter. It was quite difficult for us to part ways last night.

I coped with it by eating a large – – and I mean gigantically large – – chocolate bar that I had purchased, intending to take it home as a large gift. Instead, I found myself inspecting my body for bedbug bites, finding only slightly melting crumbs of chocolate down my neck. I will admit that this happened as I was discussing – – with another camino forum member – –The possibility of Via de la Plata sometime in the spring! I may need another long walk if I continue eating chocolate in that quantity… But I did need to recuperate from losing my Camino daughter, and perhaps because of our habit of chocolate o'clock every afternoon, it seemed appropriate.

Interestingly, I walked the majority of my Camino alone, and had reflected on the many facets of my life, including some some rather difficult losses. Perhaps God in his wisdom decided to distract me with this very young girl!

After a very short period of time, many people on the trail recognized that I was this girl's Camino mother. The girl was very bright, so I was able to guide her with very few words. When she was too chatty, I stopped talking. When she was sarcastic, I slowed down. Indeed, on a few occasions, I encouraged her to walk with some young friends, or go ahead on without me. Her determination to stay with me was nothing short of bizarre! As solitary as I often am, I was also surprised that I didn't just get up at 4 AM and leave without rustling…but for some reason, our walking relationship just worked. She happened to come along after I had been alone for a long time, fortunately.

One of the very most wonderful days of the trip, a French family walking with two donkeys had a really rough time. The bad luck donkey, as he was called by one of his owner's offspring , was always having an issue. Gray in color, he was always biting himself to the bleeding point, or getting some infection. On this particular day, The bad luck donkey accidentally fell off a stone bridge, hitting its leg. It also hit one of its family members, the young French guy who had given the donkey its pseudonym, in the head.

The French family was quiet and depressed as the father treated the donkey's leg. The young French man kneeled by the river, holding his head in pain.

My Camino daughter looked at me with big eyes and a face full of concern. I'm going to give them our giant chocolate bar, she announced. Perfect. Perfect.

From them on, We loved the French family, and I think they cared about us too. I can also say that was one of many interesting days that I will still be processing for quite some time.

Last edited:
Viranani, Camino Debrita and others, thank you for these posts.

For me it's the chance encounters with others that make the day.
The shell on the back of my pack is often recognised here, as far away as one can get from the Camino, and a conversation starts.
Or seeing one of a group of four taking photos and offering to take one of them all.
Or being offered assistance when someone else saw a possible need.
Or the end-of-day conversations in the hostel.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alwyn, exactly. The Camino brings out the best in us and allows us to take that home.
The shell on the back of my pack is often recognised here, as far away as one can get from the Camino, and a conversation starts.
And I'm amazed that this also happens all the way over there in Wellington! (I was just there last month...if I had seen you I would surely have wished you a buen camino...)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.