• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Frances mid august to mid September

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portugues, Norte
I am traveling the Camino Frances this year and am thinking that by mid August the larger crowds will be half way through, so if I begin then I would encounter less crowds. Is this wishful thinking, and should I wait to begin until September? My time table is extremely flexible. I could go any time from June to the end of October. Would love some input. :roll:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Mudcrone...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

In that you're flexible, September may be the best option for a number of reasons:

As you already mentioned, the crowds of pilgrims are in the decline, so fewer pilgrims rushing to the albergues.

Weather in Northern/North-West Spain in September:

In Northern Spain, average high temps are 75°F/24°C and the average minimum temperature is 57°F/14°C.

While most of the country usually enjoys summer well into September, the inhabitants of Galicia and Asturias get temperatures that are several degrees lower than in other regions. That said, it's not all doom and gloom - there are more dry days than there are wet days in Galicia in September.

The average maximum temperature in Santiago de Compostela in September is 70°F/21°C and the average minimum temperature is 59°F/15°C.

So, if you're looking at fewer crowded kms and medium to moderate temps...September looks good.

Buen Camino

Arn

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum