• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid Sept?

sebastienbrideau

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2021)
I read the thread "a tale of two caminos". My understanding is that Saint Jean in September is busy. I've gathered that this might just be for the first couple of weeks of September? People who did it in late September 2023, how crowded was it?
Also, I'm curious, why would the first 2 weeks of September be so busy?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I read the thread "a tale of two caminos". My understanding is that Saint Jean in September is busy. I've gathered that this might just be for the first couple of weeks of September? People who did it in late September 2023, how crowded was it?
My opinion, but everyone thinks that the summer holidays are done and mistakenly thinks Sept won't be busy. Kids are back in school, etc. In the US, it is when many retirees visit National Parks as they are less busy in the shoulder season.

Although it can be hot in Spain in September, it gets progressively cooler and that is also a relief. July and August are generally very hot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started in SJPDP on Sept 27th 2023. In general it didnt seem too busy other tahn a few days here and there for whatever reason the trail seemed busier. No problem finding a place to sleep at any time. It seemed to get quieter as I walked west.

As @J Willhaus says - school and university vacations are largely over and the grown-ups are free to amuse themselves. And the most intense heat and sun of summer are past (in theory anyway). When I walked my first Camino the busiest month was July and under-25s were the largest demographic. As the average age of pilgrims has increased the peak seasons have shifted to May and September. Not sure what that correlation signifies but it is very noticeable! :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I left SJPP on Sep 13; our gite host there said 500 a day were leaving SJPP (the town does not have that many beds, they had to open the fire hall), and everyone was fully booked through the end of the month.
You prompted me to look back at a post I made here on 20 September 2016. The train from Bayonne to SJPDP was so overcrowded that day that 15 of us were taken off before departure and sent by taxi at SNCF's expense. I was told the following morning that every albergue bed in SJPDP and most hotel rooms were full that night.

There is no ideal time. Don't find excuses to not go.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I left SJPP on Sep 13; our gite host there said 500 a day were leaving SJPP (the town does not have that many beds, they had to open the fire hall), and everyone was fully booked through the end of the month.
We left the same day in 2023! While the town was booked solid I expected a drove of pilgrims setting out in the morning but that was not the case at all. Helpful to remember the days get shorter. It was a bit surprising to start at 8am in the dark.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I started from SJPDP on September 1, 2023 and it was not too crowded, The weather was warm for the first half of September on my Camino but got chilly going into October. If you start in mid-September bring some warm clothes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Arriving in SJPdP on Sept 2, 2013 after our train in Bayonne was delayed having to add an extra car for the overcrowding of pilgrims. SJPdP at 20:00 hrs appeared full so the Pilgrims office found beds for us who needed one. Mine was in an attic of an albergue that was completo. I shared the space with an Irishman. (Separate beds of course) 😉Funny thing is, it didn’t seem weird or scary, it was just the way of the Camino and what a great start it dealt me. It was my first Camino, I was as green as they come, on a budget, no cell phone. I recall somewhat of a race for a bed but somehow by the magic that is Camino, I always got one. Perhaps the last one in the albergue, but a bed nonetheless. The weather was a nice mix. Warm days turned into cool evenings and chilly mornings as we headed west. Not much rain. The time of my life!! 😎👣🌻 Buen Camino!

The Attic
Attick%20SJPdP.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back