• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is mid-April a good time to start the Camino Francés? Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Indeed! It can be a bit cool for my preference, so I personally lean toward late April or early May for a start, but you would be fine. There's some good info on average temps and precipitation at SJPdP here.

Lots of services and accommodations will be open. You also would be getting a bit ahead of the crowds and certainly would be avoiding the summer rush, but based on past numbers you won't be wanting for company.

Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Where do you plan to start from?
I started twice from St Jean in the last week of April and the weather was good.
Though can be inclement weather over the mountains.
Once was blue skies and once was low cloud and rain.
Both times some snow still around.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where do you plan to start from?
I started twice from St Jean in the last week of April and the weather was good.
Though can be inclement weather over the mountains.
Once was blue skies and once was low cloud and rain.
Both times some snow still around.
Starting from St. Jean the 2nd week in April. Prefer cool/cold to hot. Thank you very much,

Make sure you make reservations for the first nights, in the 'bottleneck' between Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and Pamplona. April 2023 was much busier than April 2022.
And keep in mind that - although the Route Napoleon will officially be open as from April 1st - the Route Napoleon can be closed any moment due to heavy snow. Then you have to walk the Valcarlos route, also a beautiful walk but less dangerous.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It’s a beautiful time to walk. I’ve started mid-April five of my Caminos. The flowers are blooming and the fields of wheat are green. It does seem like it’s been discovered and last year April starts from SJPdP exploded. So be sure to make reservations through Pamplona and then you get a feel for what you need to do in regards to calling ahead.
As for weather it can be anything. I’ve walked a year where I had to get my poncho out 75% of the days, I walked in a snow storm at Cruz de Fero in a snow storm on May 12th. I’ve mostly had the Napoleon route open, but consider it lucky, as in 2 cases it only opened the day I was crossing. I’ve had one where I didn’t take my poncho out even once. I’ve had lots of cold weather but then this year an African heatwave caused it to be unseasonable warm after it snowed in the Pyrenees. So April weather is definitely bi-polar….. but I love it.

I started my Camino on April 30, 2017 from SJPP.

I didn't encounter any snow days, but some folks after me did. There were a few "not light, not heavy" rainy days.

I stayed in an " albergue in Melide (?), there were only a few people in it, there was no heat, I thought/think due to cost. (Melide is a place for yummy pulpo. :) )

Due to global warming, the weather could change.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In my opinion Spring is the perfect time of year for any of the Camino walks. Enjoy!

I encountered snow in mid May so the weather in the mountains is very changeable and so it is wise to plan around that.

It is correct that April 2023 on the Camino Frances at St. Jean was much busier than usual, however there is no evidence that this will continue in future years. In 2023 Easter was in early April. The May day European holiday fell on a Monday and that conjunction meant that a lot more European pilgrims took advantage of the extra holiday days and walked in April.

Edited to correct Easter dates

No one knows yet if April 2024 will be as busy as 2023.

Last edited:
Easter was not in late April in 2023, it was the 1st week of April. The Camino Frances was very, very busy. Same thing in April, 2022, but Easter was middle April. Again, very busy.

Spring was gorgeous last April and May, there was so much green and so many flowers. Weather was great too!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The best time to start your walk would have been yesterday. Today or tomorrow is also a good time to start.
Each season has its charms.
I've walked early spring and late fall.
Mid May through mid September would be a no go for me due to the heat. I would much rather walk on cooler days than 35 C to 40C hot days.
Also the crowds during the mid May to mid September would be an issue.
Camino 'prime time' seems to be extending earlier into March and well into October now. The demand is high.
400,000 Compostelas ytd in 2023 is proof of that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all this info. I'm scheduled to step on the Camino in SJPP on April 23 to try to get ahead of people starting in May (and more moderate temperatures) while also increasing my chances of accessing the Napoleon Pass.

Sounds like it may be busier than I expect. Guess that means using some strategies to avoid potential logjams such as avoiding staying at popular towns/places to stay overnight.

Sounds like the weather is likely to be unpredictable especially earlier on. Something I knew but important to reinforce.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i started mid April in 2022, and there was a lot of rain and mud for the early stages, and cold, but after that was beautiful and getting pretty hot by mid day while walking thru may- except mountain areas were still chilly.
i didnt see big crowds or have trouble spontaneously finding a place after pamplona. plenty of solitude! (i am very slow.)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back