• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frenchless

Toni Balao

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés, Salvador, Norte, Primitivo, Costa, Sanabrés. Fisterra & Muxia
(Le Puy in June 4th 2015)
Starting my Le Puy-Roncesvalles Camino on June 4th. I am spanish and speak some english. But I am far away of being able to build a meaningful sentence in french.
Do they speak spanish in some of the gites?
Merci y Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have/get the MiamDoDo guide it comes with little language flags that indicate which languages are spoken by gite owners ect. Bon CHemin! SY

Probably rarely. I think Spaniards are something of a rarity on the Chemin du Puy. Of the dozens of nationalities I have met in France, I don't think there ever was a Spaniard. I met a French Canadian of Cuban heritage; she spoke French, English, and Spanish fluently, so never had to rely on Spanish while in France.

The usual smiles and hand gestures will be sufficient. They were for me.;)

Bon chemin (or bonne route)!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Starting my Le Puy-Roncesvalles Camino on June 4th. I am spanish and speak some english. But I am far away of being able to build a meaningful sentence in french.
Merci y Buen Camino.

MMDD Toni , and no problems at all.
They will love a spaniard on the way.
Hope you know some Basque for the later stages.....lol
Bon Chemin

I already bought a guide: "Du Puy aux Pyrenees" and a petit dictionary. I will use smiles, some words in french/alien and my english.
Will also look for someone carrying the famous MMDD to collect the gites with spanish flags.
It is going to be interesting to end up my steps in Roncesvalles, where I started my first pilgrimage to Santiago/Fisterra 15 years ago.
Gracias y Buen Camino

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

A fair proportion of gites owners are experienced pilgrims and might understand some transactional spanish, even if they don't advertise it in the MMDD (look for "ancien pélerin").

There might be not a lot of Spanish pilgrims on that way, but the closer you come to the border, the more French you will encounter that speak Spanish! SY

Bonjour! My husband and I are also starting at Le Puy on June 4. I am an American French teacher. Although I don't know much Spanish, I'd be happy to help translate your English to any French gite owners if we should meet! I hope to meet you in person in a few short weeks! Bon Chemin/Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bonjour! My husband and I are also starting at Le Puy on June 4. I am an American French teacher. Although I don't know much Spanish, I'd be happy to help translate your English to any French gite owners if we should meet! I hope to meet you in person in a few short weeks! Bon Chemin/Buen Camino
Thank's for the offering. I am sure we will meet.
Already arrenged my first night in Le Puy (Capuchinos).
Camino will decide the rest...
Bon Chemin.

Thank's for the offering. I am sure we will meet.
Already arrenged my first night in Le Puy (Capuchinos).
Camino will decide the rest...
Bon Chemin.

When you near the end Toni don't sell the ancient way via Valcarlos short , it is very nice and caring town for pilgrims.
An easy day then to Roncesvalles.
You have done enough camino's mate to go straight over the top from StJPdP but we seem to be drawn to this village.
Can't explain it but it works well for us.

When you near the end Toni don't sell the ancient way via Valcarlos short , it is very nice and caring town for pilgrims.
An easy day then to Roncesvalles.
You have done enough camino's mate to go straight over the top from StJPdP but we seem to be drawn to this village.
Can't explain it but it works well for us.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just because you can't explain I will probably give a try to Valcarlos variant.
Although they say there is asphalt and used basicly under bad weather conditions.
Isn't it?

Just because you can't explain I will probably give a try to Valcarlos variant.
Although they say there is asphalt and used basicly under bad weather conditions.
Isn't it?

I'm an Ostabat to Valcarlos man when on GR65
STJPdP for early lunch then we continue .
I'm not too sure about the bad weather bit, there were plenty of pilgrims using that way when we walked.
Most continued on , we stopped at Valcarlos and then Burguete.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from Le Puy to Cahors in May, 2013, mist people I met on the road were francophones only, with the exception of a German couple. I speak French so this was not a problem for me at least, but perhaps if you speak some English it might help you navigate the trek, which, by the way, is beautiful! Bon chemin Mon Ami!!

I am starting in a few days. Downloaded a program to get some initiation in french, just the esential sentences (my memory, and my phonic system, can not go further in this short time). I heard very positive things about Le Puy route, specially the well preserved middle-age towns it goes through.
I expect a beautiful and vibrant adventure.
Merci & Bon Chemin.

Last edited:
Downloaded a program to get some initiation in french,

Are you familiar with Google translate for Android? You can download languages such that it will work offline.

The following is a machine translation.

¿Está familiarizado con Google translate para Android? Puede descargar idiomas como que va a trabajar fuera de línea.

Êtes-vous familier avec Google translate pour Android? Vous pouvez télécharger la langue comme il va travailler en mode déconnecté.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, newish pilgrim here, 20, Irish, I completed the Ingles last year and absolutely loved it, and am now setting off on le Chemin du Puy + el Camino Frances on Wednesday. I need to receive a...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back