• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Friends are dangerous things to have

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
A friend who lives in Bilbao has just informed me that he is starting a job in Asturias near Oviedo and Gijon. He starts next Monday and will travel there every Monday and back every Friday. He has invited me to stay when he has sorted out somewhere to rent. At some point in the summer the family will move to join him.
Well my reaction was as you would expect:-
1. Great! Delighted for him as he has been unemployed for a while
2. Visit him and then walk the Primitivo?
3. Visit them in Bilbao again, but then walk the Norte to his new place?
4. Visit him/them in the new place and then walk the Norte to SDC?
5. Visit him/them in the new place and walk the Primitivo?
Just as I thought my plans decided for this year with a flight already booked to Biarritz for May the 10th for the Frances (and also maybe a little walk from Madrid to Sergovia at some time)! Now here we go again with all the agonising and planning! Oh well, I can see little else getting done for a while! Back to the calendar and the route books again. It's a hard life being retired. :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Al,

My heart truly aches for the difficulties stemming from your retirement;), I do hope that you get it all sorted!

Seriously though, you are obviously made of stern stuff. I had to "un-retire" owing to all the extra effort it took. Working is so much easier for me. You are a man of great character.

(And I sense "quite the character", to boot.):)

Good luck and have fun with your choices!

Buen Caminos,

B

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A friend who lives in Bilbao has just informed me that he is starting a job in Asturias near Oviedo and Gijon. He starts next Monday and will travel there every Monday and back every Friday. He has invited me to stay when he has sorted out somewhere to rent. At some point in the summer the family will move to join him.
Well my reaction was as you would expect:-
1. Great! Delighted for him as he has been unemployed for a while
2. Visit him and then walk the Primitivo?
3. Visit them in Bilbao again, but then walk the Norte to his new place?
4. Visit him/them in the new place and then walk the Norte to SDC?
5. Visit him/them in the new place and walk the Primitivo?
Just as I thought my plans decided for this year with a flight already booked to Biarritz for May the 10th for the Frances (and also maybe a little walk from Madrid to Sergovia at some time)! Now here we go again with all the agonising and planning! Oh well, I can see little else getting done for a while! Back to the calendar and the route books again. It's a hard life being retired. :(

You lucky devil, Al! I wish I had all those agonizing choices! I think I met you in Ventosa, in the Albergue San Saturnino? In May or June. Unless you just look like someone I met! Anyway, enjoy, and buen camino!

Al - you have no problem.
Walk the Frances this year.
The Norte in 2015.
The Primitivo in 2016.

Like all of us "hooked" on the camino, we sometimes plan years in advance. I'm off on both the Inges paths in May ..... but am thinking about the Primitivo for 2015 already! :)
Buen camino, amigo Al!

Al, if you are looking for sympathy I think this box is empty. ;) Have you warned your friend they may need to rent an Albergue? I'll be passing through Oviedo late May inbetween the Salvador and the Primitivo. If you are ensconced by then I'll see you a Tinto.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was in that albergue on May 16th with a Canadian called Richard (who I walked with from Irache to Belorado), two English guys I had met before (Rob and Geoff), an American (Joni who I walked with a few days later on). Sorry, but looking at your picture I cannot remember you. Sorry, no disrespect intended, but hey, it was the camino! We meet so many people it can become a bit of a blur. All I remember of that day was how cold and windy it was getting there and how I hated going up hill into Ventosa, then down to the albergue and then up and down again to the restaurant. I remember how sunny it was the next day clogging it through the boot sucking Rioja mud. I cannot really remember any details the albergue. Did it not have a small garden and a mimi shop in a small room at the front?

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back