• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The one thing I should have done before I left for the Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good day everyone!

As I am four weeks out from the beginning of my Camino, I am making a list of all the things I have to do before I take my first step.

Not a list of what to bring, where to start, how to pack, or others regarding the journey. Those are covered. It's list of the things that have to be left addressed or resolved (finances, work, or any other matters that usually require our attention day after day) before I leave.

So, I want to ask you, out from your experience, what is the one thing you found out you had missed, forgotten to do or to leave attended/resolved, once you started your Camino?

Rodrigo
Make a photocopy of your passport and be sure to have that with you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
make sure your bank allowed free debit card payments & cash withdrawals - we opened accounts that did and saved around £100 in bank fees on Camino V2. 💪

Good day everyone!

As I am four weeks out from the beginning of my Camino, I am making a list of all the things I have to do before I take my first step.

Not a list of what to bring, where to start, how to pack, or others regarding the journey. Those are covered. It's list of the things that have to be left addressed or resolved (finances, work, or any other matters that usually require our attention day after day) before I leave.

So, I want to ask you, out from your experience, what is the one thing you found out you had missed, forgotten to do or to leave attended/resolved, once you started your Camino?

Rodrigo
More than file a travel plan with the bank......Turn on foreign transactions for the credit card!! Made for a rough first day in Paris before I even got to the Camino.

Also forgot to pay my tax accountant for his work in filing my taxes. That was embarrassing.

Not much else.

Figure out your mail hold. USPS won't hold for longer than 30 days so you may need to get a friend to pick up your mail for you.
An alternative is a temporary change of address to have it sent to that friend. But there are confirmation letters, so you might want to do it two weeks before. (The form has a start date on it; it doesn’t start the day you turn in the form.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would ring your debit card company to check that your card is still valid. I arrived in France to find mine didn't work because they had cancelled it. Always have backup credit and debit cards.
Second card from a different bank to use if the first one has an internet outage.

Good day everyone!

Rodrigo
Renew the batteries on the smoke alarms in your dwelling, if they have batteries. If they run out while you are away, the alarms make a really loud bleeping sound, that can annoy neighbours or panic anyone staying in the house. It happened to me once.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hydrate incredibly well during the week before leaving - drink lots more water than usually (ideally your pee should be clear during the entire week). You’ll probably be dehydrated because of the flight / long travel and most people (that aren’t used to it) take a few days to start hydrating properly when setting out for a long and strenuous hike.
Hydrating also helps protect you from blood clots on the airplane.

Contact and register your (albeit rough) itinerary with your applicable external affairs or embassy/consulate. This lets them know you are in county and how to reach you in the event of a major Event. This saved us a lot of headache in Spain during March 2020… you know - that whole Covid thing.

Good day everyone!

Rodrigo
This might sound totally daft, but I put an appointment in my phone for the day of my return, and in it I make a list of where I stored things before I left. What’s in the safe or locked in the filing cabinet, where the key is for that same filing cabinet, what carefully chosen place I used for my work pass, etc. After six or seven weeks of travel and adventure, knowing I left something in “the red bag” can otherwise lead to quite serious soul searches along the lines of “do I even HAVE a red bag???”

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Good day everyone!

Rodrigo
I bought an Apple ID fob and fastened it in my backpack. I shared the “find my device” ability with our kids. They have loved watching my backpack travel daily and it’s a handy feature to track your pack to see if it made it on your connecting flight and to find it if you have your bag transported to the next stopping point of you decide to do that at all.

Indeed. Also always learn the security aspects of your banking apps. You can freeze your cards, change your contactless limits, identify how often you want to en asked for your PIN and so on!

For those who like to save every penny, download the ‘ATMFee Saver’ app. It tells you what each banks ATM charges and their withdrawal limits. It also has a map facility where you can see the closest ATMs to where you are and what their fees are.
Second card from a different bank to use if the first one has an internet outage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have always carried an ICE Card / folded piece of paper with my passport. It is a simple Microsoft Word table, split into four panels.

I’d also say if using an iPhone update the Medical Information section which is where most Emergency Departments would look. (Speaking as an ex-ED nurse )

Before heading off:
  • I charge the RING door bell (not sure if the others know how to or they just pretend they cant! :p ).
  • Show someone at work how to use TeamViewer should there be an 'emergency' I can have a look in on iPhone. I usually try to avoid being away for running statements & paying VAT etc..
  • Prepay credit card bill/rent just on the crazy off chance I forget to pay it from phone or phone goes missing.
  • Email a family member (who is computer literate) travel details, travel/health insurance details, copies of passports etc.
  • Turn off my phone notifications for Work email/CCTV/Door bell (others have full access).
  • Go through phone, make space for photos & videos, make sure have plenty of room on dropbox for remote uploading of same on wifi.
  • Have photos/scans of passport, EHIC.
  • Save all my camino apps to home screen, especially for public cctv cameras so can take a screen shot of me in them or send a link to someone to watch me waving! :)
  • If I have any large digital guide books I would have them saved offline in dropbox just incase.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back