• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Caparra to Oliva de Plasencia

bjorgts

Time of past OR future Camino
In Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003
I am planning my camino on Via de la Plata this spring, and have understood that it is a good ide to walk from Carcaboso to Caparra and then to Oliva de Plasencia, stay at the albergue there, and walk the same way back to Caparra next morning. This 5 km walk is sead to be on a path. My question then is: How du I find this path to Oliva de Plasencia when i am there at Caparra? Bjorg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Bjorts,

If you hate on-road walking, this is a perfect way to go. And, it has the advantage that you will arrive for the first time at Caparra when all the excavations and the small museum are open, so you can visit them before going to Oliva de Plasencia's albergue. Then the next morning, when you pass through Caparra again, you'll probably be too early for the museum, but no problem since you already visited it if you're so inclined.

When I walked this way, another forum member drew a very nice map that helped a lot:
camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic7625.html

And that post even has a picture that shows you where the turn-off is. You can't miss it.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hei Bjorg!
A bit before you arrive at Caparra, I think you will see a road coming in from right, so you have to walk back a bit after visiting Caparra to get to"Lauries way" to Olivia. I stayed at Olivia this spring, and when I arrived at the crossway between the camino and the road to Olivia some other pilgrims had called for a lift, so the woman at the albergue came to pick us up. The road from Olivia next morning was mostly on quiet roads (grusveier gjennom landeiendommer) and a nice walk.
Randi

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you to both of you! I want very much to go up to Hervas the next day, so I will see when I am there at Caparra what will be the best solution. I have been there once before, but did not know of Oliva then. Stayed at Hostal Asturias. But now I know where to go to Oliva. Så vet jeg også at det har vært norske damer (alene?) på vandring der før meg, Randi. Bjørg

Hi Bjorg.

Yes, you'll see the turn for Oliva de Placensia on the right before you get to Caparra. If you continue straight, you'll hit a paved road that you'll turn right on, and this road will take you to the Caparra Interpretive Center (I forget if it's 400m or 800m up the road -- uphill). It's closed between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., I believe, so plan to get there before or after. Once you've finished touring, you may have to walk back on the VDLP to the Oliva turn-off (this time it would be to your left), but maybe there's a shortcut from the Interpretive Center.

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
On the stone pillars, there are 3 languages. 1st is Spanish of course and the 3rd is Arabic (says road to palata). Anyone know what the second language is?
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...
First, this was my fourth Camino and was the most consistently beautiful walk I've done. Hilly, varied and so scenic! My daughter and I walked from Puebla de Sanabria to Santiago Apr. 14 - May 2...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back