• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Lisbon to Oporto July 2010

ioannisluca

Time of past OR future Camino
2007 -Camino Francès (bicycle)
2008+2009 -C.Francès
2010 -C.Portugues
2011 -Via Podiensis
2012 -C.del Norte+Primitivo
2013 -Via Lemovicensis
2014 -C.de Baztan+Francès+de Madrid
2015 - C. del Norte + San Salvador + Francés
Hi Laurie & all on csj,
here’s my caminho portuguese, from Lisbon to Oporto.
I arrived in Lisbon on the 30th of June, and followed one of Laurie’s options for the first day: I walked from the Parque das Naçoes to the cathedral, and the following day I started from there and arrived to Vila Franca de Xira. I had my flight back on the 16th of July, so I divided the last steps in another way, even because in this way my last walking day I could arrive in Oporto early. Talking about the climate, it was very very hot in the first week, while in the second part it was nice. I walked alone, and I didn't find any pilgrim on the way... I thought there were many because of the "holy year", but I met only a Spanish couple one of the first days, and others going to Fatima in the second week (the direction was opposite...)!
The credencial can be taken in St. Eugenio church in the Bairro do Encarnaçao, between the airport and Oriente Station. You must contact the person in charge, Gonçalo, at the following mail address: aej.lisboa@gmail.com
You can take carimbos (the stamps on the credential) in churches, residenciales, bombeiros, municipal buildings, tourism offices, museums, post offices, and even some bars and pastelarias.
With regard to accommodations and dinners (I usually didn’t have lunch, I ate fruit or sandwich along the way…) I write down the cost I remember, and a personal quality mark :D ( ● = not so good; ●● = ok; ●●● = good).
My guidebooks to the Caminho Português: Laurie’s guide – John Brierley “Camino Portugués” Caminoguides ed.
My photoes in my FB page (Gianluca Mengoni) following the link
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=18328&id=100001249449150&saved#!/album.php?aid=18328&id=100001249449150

Day I
Lisboa Parque das Naçoes – Sé
8 km

Along the way you can visit the Museu Nacional do Azulejo (I had already been there…)

Day II
Lisboa (Parque das Naçoes) – Vila Franca de Xira
30 km
Acc. Pensào Ribatejana (next to railway station) 19 € ●
Dinner: Restaurante Ribatejano below the Pensào ●●

First part leaving Lisbon and last kms entering Vila franca de Xira very pleasant along the river. The central part, as Laurie says, is not a very nice walk…

Day III
Vila Franca de Xira – Azambuja
20 km
Acc. Residencial Flor da Primavera 25 € ●●●
Dinner: bar-restaurant below 9 € ●●

The walk continues among industrial parks, power stations and busy national roads until Azambuja, a nice town.

Day IV
Azambuja – Santarém
32 km
Acc. Residencial Vitoria 20 € ●●
Dinner: Adega do Bacalhau centre of town ●●

A pleasant walk on the flood plains of Ribatejo. Santarèm is a charming city, lots of sights: Praça Sà da Bandeira, with Igreja do Seminario and N.S. da Piedade, and a Manueline window ; Igreja da Marvila; Igreja da Graça with a superb Manueline portal; Porta do Sol.

Day V
Santarém – Golegã
32 km
Acc. Bombeiros Voluntàrios behind the church, near the camping ●●
Dinner: Café Central in front of the church ●●●

A walking day similar to the previous day, along country lanes not far from the Rio Tejo. After Vale de Figueira (where Laurie met the man who showed her the “wrong way”…) I didn’t take the path marked with yellow X and after a while I found the arrow; but in Reguengo I lost the arrows and ended in a road before Pombalinho, so I had to pass through the village, too. Azinhaga is Saramago’s birthplace. In Golegã there was only a place to sleep in the camping (I didn’t have a tent so I should stay in an “apartment”), but it was too expensive so I stayed by the Bombeiros: it was good (even if it was hot and there were many mosquitos…), they had a room for the “guests”, with 3 beds, showers and a bathroom…and I was alone there.

Day VI
Golegã – Tomar
29 km
Acc. Residential Luz 19 € in the main street ●●
Dinner: Restaurante Bela Vista on the other side of the river ●●●

Along the way: the manor house Quinta da Cardiga, one of Portugal’s most famous “quintas”. In Tomar, there is the impressive Convento de Cristo (a must-see… I had visited it twice before!). After Atalaia there’s an eucalyptus forest where I got lost, too (like Laurie…); anyway, after about half an hour, there’s a wooden arrow on a tree, not so clear about the direction: take left, I think there are at least two paths that lead you out of the wood and to Grou (take Laurie’s advice and follow the direction of the high voltage transmission lines).

Day VII
Tomar – Alvaiàzere
32 km
Acc. + lunch + dinner: Residencial O Bràs 52 € ●●●

In Alvaiàzere there’s nothing but the Residencial O Bras; I arrived there early, so I had lunch, dinner and a room…

Day VIII
Alvaiàzere – Alvorge
26 km
Acc. Casa do Vale Florido + dinner 23 € ●●●

Once in Alvorge I took the road to Vale Florido, it’s about 2km off-route: but next day there’s no need to go back to Alvorge, there’s a road which takes you directly to Ribeira de Alcalamouque, on the caminho. The Hostal-Restaurante Vale Florido is good, they have rooms in a mansion, the “Quinta da Lapa”, with a swimming pool…and it costs only 15€…!

Day IX
Vale Florido – Condeixa a Nova
20 km
Acc. Residencial Avenida 15 € ●
Dinner: Restaurante Regional do Cabrito in the main square ●●●

In Rabaçal there’s a “villa romana” and its museum. In the museum they called the archaeoligists who work on the site and one of them waited for me and showed me round the area. Conimbriga is a well preserved Roman settlement and it’s worth a visit.

Day X
Condeixa a Nova – Coimbra
22 km
Acc. Residencial Domus 30 € (breakfast included) ●●
Dinner: Adega do Conte near the Residencial ●●●

Coimbra is a charming city worthy a “rest day”…

Day XI
Coimbra – Mealhada
22 km
Acc. + dinner Residencial Oasis (just out of town) 42 € ●●●

Mealhada is the home of the leitão, the roast sucking pig, and you can eat it in the Residencial Oasis.

Day XII
Mealhada – Águeda
25 km
Acc. Residencial Ribeirinho 20 € ●●
Dinner: in a fair near the river

Pleasant vineyards and mansions (it’s the “Rota do vinho da Bairrada”) before entering Águeda.

Day XIII
Águeda – Oliveira de Azeméis
38 km
Acc. Residencial La Salette 15 € in the main street ●
Dinner: Restaurante Camponés ●●●

An easy walking first half of the stage, with the roman-medieval bridge Ponte de Marnel. Second part with many main road & railway crossings

Day XIV
Oliveira de Azeméis – Grijò
Acc. Residencial Sobreiro Grosso 20 € ●●
Dinner: restaurant on the National Road ●●

Most of the walk is along the National road, part on the calçada romana… In Grijò the accommodation is a bit far from the caminho and not so easy to find.

Day XV
Grijò – Porto
15 km

It’s a short trip, but all over the main road, and Vila Nova de Gaia seems never ending… but Porto’s sight from Dom Luis bridge, and a dinner on the Ribeira are priceless…

LOVE & KISSES

Gianluca

Bom caminho

PS how to insert photoes in the topic? I tried the Img button but I don't know how it works...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Estupendo, Gianluca,
Thanks so much for all this information. I hope it's ok with you if I insert updates into the online guide, I like the suggestion about the Quinta da Lapa, that makes for a nice alternative.

I guess there are still some places where marking improvement would help, or else maybe we should all just get used to walking through Pombalinho and then on to Azinhaga.

Saramago's very modest house has a plaque outside, and the Caminho goes right past it. You must have been there very soon after his death.

That descent following the electricity lines is quite steep, but at least it's one way not to get lost. I am sure there is a path there somewhere, just waiting for arrows.

I'm sure this will help others out, and I'm sorry to say I have no idea how to insert photos and will hope that some of our more tech savvy people can provide advice. Thanks again, bom caminho, Laurie

Thanks to you Laurie!
You can do what you want with the things I wrote :D If I remind something important & helpful I will add it...

When I passed through Azinhaga they told me that Saramago's home is a museum now and there is a monument in front of it (I posted a photo in my FB page...) but I didn't see the house you saw and put in your photo album (some photoes are similar, I have the "wooden crocodile" too...).

I would like to walk the Porto-Santiago route during Christmas holydays, I posted a note hoping to find some help about it...

Bye for now
a big hug
Gianluca

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Gianluca,
Great photos. I didn't see the statue of Saramago, so I am assuming that there is a museum in a place other than his home. The house I passed was, I think, his birthplace home, so maybe there are others.

Have fun on the Porto-Santiago segment. I assume you know that the Confraternity of St. James also has an online guide for that part (I didn't write that one, it was written by a real expert, Johnnie Walker!). http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

That blue of the Portuguese sky is just amazing, I remember it so vividly. Actually, I think it's common to the entire Iberian peninsula, because on the Camino I see blues that I never see in the US.

Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi Gianluca
Thanks for the excellent information. I have jotted it in Laurie,s guide and will have lots of options now. Got a shock this morning when I found out that it will be 38 degrees on Monday when I arrive in Lisbon. There is no way I can walk long distances in that heat. EEK!
Cheers
Heather

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back