• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting my gadgets in Spain

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
We have decided to do the Primitivo next May/June. I would like to get my gadgets in Spain, namely a small knife with spoon, fork and cork screw. Also a walking stick to avoid the TSA drama. Is it safe to assume that this will be easy to do in Oviedo?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can I buy Trekking Poles in Santiago?
It makes sense to buy them in Spjp
I know ppl have mentioned Decathlon but I havenā€™t heard about on in Santiago?
Iā€™m trying to avoid the plane drama too.
šŸ«¶šŸ»

šŸ«¶šŸ»
Yes, there are two Decathlon stores in Santiago - a small Decathlon City store in town, and a larger store a bit out of town.

Yes, there are two Decathlon stores in Santiago - a small Decathlon City store in town, and a larger store a bit out of town.
Thanks Trecile šŸ‘ŒThatā€™s great to knowā€¦.
Your real world experienceā€¦ walking and being on the groundā€¦ ā€œknowingā€ these little details is great šŸ˜Š

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
šŸ«¶šŸ»
You certainly can buy them in Santiago, at the Decathlon stores as mentioned above and probably others, too. But Santiago is probably the place you are most likely to find free poles that you can reuse that have been left behind by other pilgrims who were "carry on only" and unable to bring their poles home. I would check Pilgrim House before Decathlon. Why pay for poles when you can get them free? Why not reduce waste and reuse?

Just a thought.

Last edited:
No problem, there is a very centrally located Decathlon City....

I was in that store about 9 months ago. It's very limited - but handy for hats/gloves that I had forgotten to bring - forgot December in northern Spain would be cold! The larger store will likely have more of what you need but is a distance out.

With Decathlon I tend to use Click and Collect - pre-ordering what's needed. My "local" stores are 50-60 miles away so don't want to just turn up on the off chance.

You certainly can buy them in Santiago, at the Decathlon stores as mentioned above and probably others, too. But Santiago is lrobably the place you are most likely to find free poles that you can reuse that have been left behind by other pilgrims who were "carry on only" and unable to bring their poles home. I would check Pilgrim House before Decathlon. Why pay for poles when you can get them free? Why not reduce waste and reuse?

Just a thought.
Great idea!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesnā€™t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; Iā€™m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) Iā€™ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Hereā€™s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.