• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

eSim for Spain

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I am from the U.S. and will be in Spain for 30 days in early 2024 to walk Camino Morazábe . After some research, it seems like an eSim from Airalo is a good choice for my iPhone 14. I have some novice questions I hope you don't mind my asking.

Should I get the eSim before leaving for Spain or should I get one at the airport upon landing in Spain? I assume that I should use the new Spanish phone number instead of my U.S. Verizon phone number. When I use WhatsApp with my new Spanish phone number, will I have access to my previous WhatsApp contacts? How do my family in the U.S. text/call me using WhatsApp with my new Spanish number? I assume that emails and WhatsApp texting are the best/cheap ways of correspondence between me and my family. Thank you in advance for any information and advice that you might have. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @hieudovan
I will respond to the a WhatsApp question .
- once you have contacts on WhatsApp.. they can contact you ‘as usual ‘ after you switch to another number & when you switch back.

- the WhatsApp and email can be accessed by wifi / or using your data on your new sim.

- I am from Oz and have access to my home mobile contract also if I wish for AU$5 per day (charge is only if I use it ).

- with my iPhone 13plus, I have a E sim for home use. My phone has a tray for a physical sim also - I buy a Spanish sim once I’m settled in spain and can find a Vodafone store. They install the sim with capacity of my choice. I usually use my home mobile for arrival day without stressing about finding email or Spanish sim. Once I have the new SIM card .. I switch phone over to physical sim and either connect to wifi or use the sim data. The (Vodafone) M card has lots of data and phone calls for 15€. Even includes free 800 minutes international calls.

- I try to renew (if staying longer than 28 days) earlier or when I am in a larger city/village with Vodafone. I find it easier (just me) to have it renewed at the store than online. I have done it online too.

-with WhatsApp - if you want to keep a few people updated on your camino ; (before you leave home is best but at anytime) ; you can set up a group chat on WhatsApp to reduce the duplication of responses.

There is another thread current at the moment re SIM cards for spain which may give you more info. Look here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...es-and-sim-cards-in-spain.84316/#post-1204945

Attachments

• IMG_6337.jpeg
    IMG_6337.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6335.png
    IMG_6335.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6336.jpeg
    IMG_6336.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 6
I believe that the eSims that Airalo sells are data only, so you wouldn't have a Spanish phone number. You can use the data from the eSim to use all of your apps, including WhatsApp, maps, etc.

If you do get an eSim with a Spanish phone number WhatsApp will still work with your home phone number. Also, your contacts are in your phone's memory, not your sim card or eSim.

You can manage perfectly well without a Spanish phone number. I've always used my free data that I have from T-Mobile and use apps to make phone calls. I use WhatsApp with my friends and family and with albergues that use WhatsApp. If I need to call s landline I use the Viber app with Viber Out credits. I buy $5 worth of credits and that will last me through several Caminos since the calls are only 2¢ a minute.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am from the U.S. and will be in Spain for 30 days in early 2024 to walk Camino Morazábe . After some research, it seems like an eSim from Airalo is a good choice for my iPhone 14. I have some novice questions I hope you don't mind my asking.

Should I get the eSim before leaving for Spain or should I get one at the airport upon landing in Spain? I assume that I should use the new Spanish phone number instead of my U.S. Verizon phone number. When I use WhatsApp with my new Spanish phone number, will I have access to my previous WhatsApp contacts? How do my family in the U.S. text/call me using WhatsApp with my new Spanish number? I assume that emails and WhatsApp texting are the best/cheap ways of correspondence between me and my family. Thank you in advance for any information and advice that you might have. Buen Camino.
Spanish sims are fairly cheap, though the 'deals' change from time to time. I've used Orange, Vodafone and Movistar and all have worked well for me. A 'typical deal' would be 100G for 25 Euros for 28 days - and you could add more data if you use it up. You should be able to set up WhatsApp so that it continues to use your US number.

Thank you all for your prompt responses. My iPhone 14 only uses eSim. No physical tray for a sim card. Looks like I can go ahead and buy an eSim from Airalo to use in Spain for 28 days. I'm glad that I can use my current WhatsApp contacts with the new eSim. I will only use the eSim for wifi and texting. Once again, you have been very helpful. Buen Camino.

Thank you all for your prompt responses. My iPhone 14 only uses eSim. No physical tray for a sim card. Looks like I can go ahead and buy an eSim from Airalo to use in Spain for 28 days. I'm glad that I can use my current WhatsApp contacts with the new eSim. I will only use the eSim for wifi and texting. Once again, you have been very helpful. Buen Camino.
I got an eSIM from Airalo for my CP in Sept/Oct. I bought it on line before I left, downloaded the app and then activated it after I landed in Spain. The set up is kind of complicated but they have a very good video explaining every step. I did have an issue and their support was very fast and excellent. The one problem is on line banking. The bank’s software detects that there is something different (suspicious) about your phone so it doesn’t send the text for 2 step verification. I had to switch back to my other SIM which costs me $14/day. This happened with some other accounts but I don’t remember which ones so it wasn’t anything crucial. Anyway, eSIM was far cheaper than it would have been if I used my home plan. They should really warn you about the banking thing though because I didn’t know what was going on. You don’t get an error message or anything, you just don’t get the verification text.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Airlo or Holyfly are travel esims & you mobile number is retained .
I found it great & ok if family at home are use to what’s app calls & messages .
Downside is no voice calls other then WhatsApp .
When you need a code sent to you for verification, i.e. two-step verification ID banking (as another person has has explained) I had the same problem too, and that was the downside.

Definetly buy & set up before leaving as you need strong & stable Wi-Fi connection, and the steps are a little bit complicated and it’s good to do that prior to Travel .
once you’re in destination country, you activate. You may want to look at the Amaysim plans.

IMG_5325.jpeg
You may want to see if Am

I got an eSIM from Airalo for my CP in Sept/Oct. I bought it on line before I left, downloaded the app and then activated it after I landed in Spain. The set up is kind of complicated but they have a very good video explaining every step. I did have an issue and their support was very fast and excellent. The one problem is on line banking. The bank’s software detects that there is something different (suspicious) about your phone so it doesn’t send the text for 2 step verification. I had to switch back to my other SIM which costs me $14/day. This happened with some other accounts but I don’t remember which ones so it wasn’t anything crucial. Anyway, eSIM was far cheaper than it would have been if I used my home plan. They should really warn you about the banking thing though because I didn’t know what was going on. You don’t get an error message or anything, you just don’t get the verification text.
Thank you EICee. I will get the Airalo eSim in the U.S. a couple of days before departure and activate it upon landing in Granada, Spain. I hope things will go well. If not, I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with the process. Also thanks for the heads up on banking. I will use my email, instead of phone texting, for 2 steps banking before leaving the U.S.

The bank’s software detects that there is something different (suspicious) about your phone so it doesn’t send the text for 2 step verification.
The bank does send the text, but they send it to your home phone number. You have to make your home sim active to receive a text sent to that number.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm here both to verify that a lot that was said earlier is correct and to add a bit. In September I bought a combination UK and Ireland plan from Airalo using their app. I believe that it either came with some minutes or I could get a plan with them. I had also checked out a competitor. The minutes came with an EU country's number but neither the UK, Ireland nor Spain. So you could call and receive calls but the country code would have to be added in.

Using the Airalo app I got the eSIM installed at home and activated it only once overseas.

Whatsapp worked with with no change to my home phone number and we used it to get and make calls from and to home. BTW, about 90% of Spanish and Portuguese cell phones have Whatsapp installed and so there is a good chance that you don't need a European number to complete calls.

The forum has a thread for "How to use 2-factor ID for banking while traveling with a foreign SIM card":

Last edited:

Hi I haven't read any other posts so I apologise if I am repeating anything. I used Airalo last year when in Portugal and Spain, for data only. Without looking at the Airalo app right now I am thinking that it is only for data. You put the app on your phone and then purchase the plan you want, but you don't activate it until you are ready to use it, which is the best part. Very simple, buy the plan at home, then activate when you get to Spain. You do however keep your phone number, and you just change the option for data in settings. As others may have said, many are using whatsapp for phone calls, and just about all albergues have Wi-Fi, so the Airalo plan is great for when on the road, especially using maps.
I just used the eSim in India and it was a godsend.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As above for Spain most of the contacts you need to call will be in What’s App & likewise pilgrims .

Extra Advice is phone shops/ mobile providers are unlikely be able to help you as these items have not been purchased from them.
The online help & chat is your avenue for assistance & again why it’s better to set up / install before trip set up as there are more steps than just downloading the app

As others may have said, many are using whatsapp for phone calls, and just about all albergues have Wi-Fi, so the Airalo plan is great for when on the road, especially using maps.
Most of the navigation apps mentioned on the forum can have maps downloaded. This allows them to be used even in airplane mode. Download them ahead of time at home or while on the go where wifi is available.

On the Mozarabe, I think there may be situations in which you'd like to make a classic phone call. When doing the variant out of Malaga, I had to call the police station a few times to get albergue keys. (No WhatsApp, just the old-fashioned way.)

If that's a concern for you, then you can buy a Spanish eSIM from Vodafone. (Probably other operators too, Vodafone is just the one I know about off the top of my head.) This option, unlike travel-oriented, data-only eSIMs like Airalo, would give you a normal phone number. (Also, way way more data for the same price.) I can't guarantee this, but I think you just need to go into a Vodafone store once in Spain, and have them set up the eSIM for you. Probably a good idea to double-check online, though.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
On the Mozarabe, I think there may be situations in which you'd like to make a classic phone call. When doing the variant out of Malaga, I had to call the police station a few times to get albergue keys. (No WhatsApp, just the old-fashioned way.)
My home network provider allows inexpensive international calls but if I leave a message I'm likely not to get a call back due to the reluctance of the called person to dial and/or pay for an international call. That's one good reason to buy a local SIM or eSIM package.

he one problem is on line banking. The bank’s software detects that there is something different (suspicious) about your phone so it doesn’t send the text for 2 step verification. I had to switch back to my other SIM which costs me $14/day.
I am assuming you are US-based?
I got around this problem by getting a "Google Voice" number, which is only available to US residents. It's a virtual phone number that works on data but has an area code, etc. like any other number and you can get texts through the app. It also sends me emails of texts and transcriptions of calls, which is nice if I have lost my phone! People back home can just direct dial me and the call seems just a regular call to them even when I am overseas.

My bank accepts it for two-factor authentication, but one of my credit cards doesn't. They probably know that it's a virtual number. The other budget answer is to get a T-Mobile phone number that works overseas.

No bank or credit card I have will let me use email for authentication. That would be perfect!
Link:

P.S. If you or anyone else get a Google Voice number in the US, and then get a Spanish SIM card when you're in Spain, make sure you update the app to tell Google Voice that it should direct calls and texts to the new overseas number. I forgot to do this once, and was wondering why I wasn't getting anything…

Last edited:

If that's a concern for you, then you can buy a Spanish eSIM from Vodafone. (Probably other operators too, Vodafone is just the one I know about off the top of my head.) This option, unlike travel-oriented, data-only eSIMs like Airalo, would give you a normal phone number. (Also, way way more data for the same price.) I can't guarantee this, but I think you just need to go into a Vodafone store once in Spain, and have them set up the eSIM for you. Probably a good idea to double-check online, though.
Thank you. I was going to get an Airalo eSim due to the reviews. I have also watched the YouTube videos for buying etc... I did not think about having to contact albergues/police (if needed). I've walked other Caminos where I just stop at an albergue at the end of the day. No phone calls involved. I will be starting in Almería toward Granada. If Vodafone can provide "regular/traditional" phone calls in addition to WhatsApp, I would definitely prefer that. I will look into the Spanish eSim from Vodafone. I'm glad I started this process "early." I will be leaving the U.S. at the end of January.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I believe that the eSims that Airalo sells are data only, so you wouldn't have a Spanish phone number. You can use the data from the eSim to use all of your apps, including WhatsApp, maps, etc.

If you do get an eSim with a Spanish phone number WhatsApp will still work with your home phone number. Also, your contacts are in your phone's memory, not your sim card or eSim.

You can manage perfectly well without a Spanish phone number. I've always used my free data that I have from T-Mobile and use apps to make phone calls. I use WhatsApp with my friends and family and with albergues that use WhatsApp. If I need to call s landline I use the Viber app with Viber Out credits. I buy $5 worth of credits and that will last me through several Caminos since the calls are only 2¢ a minute.

I really appreciate the word you're spreading about Viber Out. I just downloaded it and it seems like a great alternative to the whole fuss and muss with Orange eSIMs that you have to give your passport image to in order to reload, or having to get a physical SIM on arrival in Europe, etc. etc.

I think I'll combine Viber Out credits (like $5) for the rare occasion I'll need to make a call on the Camino, with AirAlo for cheap data on the go.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.