• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Getting to Madrid

TheEzrahite

Hi guys,

So, after doing the Camino I'm going to have a flight home out of Madrid. What's the best way to get from Santiago to Madrid? I'm worried about buying anything in advance because I'm not sure exactly what day I'll finish the camino - would I be able to buy a train ticket the morning I would want to go, or do these sell out frequently?

Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I took the overnight train from Santiago to Madrid last October. It was fabulous. I had a cozy bunk in a 4 bed sleeper. I had a delicious dinner in the dining car and I woke up in Madrid, refreshed, in the daylight which allowed me time to figure out where I was going to stay that night. I remember it ws quite a shock because Madrid is not the camino and it was the first leg of leaving the beautiful camino behind.

I can't remember what I paid for my ticket. I did buy it before I continued my walk to Finisterre. I only allowed three days to walk to Finisterre and I wish I had planned for a 4 day walk instead.

There is not one day that has gone by that I have not thought about the camino since I got back. And I would walk it again in a heart beat.

Have a wonderful walk. Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
marjorita said:
overnight train from Santiago to Madrid. It was fabulous.

I vouch for that!!! A first class experience for someone who wants to travel in style.

If in a hurry, you can try Air-Europa.com. They offer good prices and good service.

Ryanair fly Santiago to Madrid for about 30 euro

I've just booked Ryanair tickets from Santiago to Madrid for the way back home. Then, Madrid back to my roots, Bucharest. Well, that was cheap... and I knew it will be! I watch them almost everyday and I start to understand the way they think, as a low-cost airline company.
The price per two tickets: 0 (zero!) euro
The taxes fees: 2,56 euro
The web-check in: 10,70 euro
The checked bags (2): 21,40 euro
Total amount: 34,66 euro (2 tickets!)
Another advice: pay online with Visa Electron (the only card that is free of charge!)

Bon camino everyone!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum